Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    10 reasons why I will not buy a Treo650.

These are based on post observations from numerous discussion groups.

1. Low Memory Limit.
    2. Poor Memory management
    2. No Wifi
    3. No need for a replaceable battery
    4. Special jack for headphone required.
    5. Numerous reset problems
    6. Price
    7. Low end camera
    8. More powerful Smartphone entering the market.
    9. Still same old Palm OS
    10. Memory issues will be patched shortly by Palm, which means short
    Term instability for existing palm software and for new software about to be released.

These are my simple observations and should not be considered a personal attack
    Against the PRO Treo 650 CAMP.
    Just curious, what phone(s) might you be referring to with #8?
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pierreb

1. Low Memory Limit.
    2. No Wifi
    6. Price
    7. Low end camera
    8. More powerful Smartphone entering the market.
    10. Memory issues will be patched shortly by Palm, which means short
    Term instability for existing palm software and for new software about to be released.

These are my simple observations and should not be considered a personal attack
    Against the PRO Treo 650 CAMP.
    Pros for Treo 650

1 - WAY BETTER display 320 x 320 Hi Res
    2 - Low end Camera??? Oh please! T650 Camera is WAY better and images can back this up.
    3 - Blazer is alot faster and smoother.
    4 - Bluetooth enabled
    5 - "No need for a replaceable battery" So I guess waiting to charge again is alot better than replacing the battery and going? Also make sure you dont run out of battery. Wouldnt wanna lose all your data. (T650 doesnt have that issue!)
    6 - Price - Well just as when the T600 hit the market it was priced the same. Honestly look at the Sprint Business website they have both T6 and T650 priced the same. Which would u rather get??? http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lPcsPhones.jsp
    7 - "More powerful Smartphone entering the market." All smartphones entering the market would love to be a Treo but in one way or another they cannot. Most lack in one or more things.
    8 - "Still same old Palm OS" Not so sure what your reading but the OS version is not the same. T650 comes with 5.4.5
    9 - Memory issues will most likely be fixed as will other features. Also seems like Palmone will throw in an extra SD card for all this.
    10 - "Numberous reset problems" Again another observation backed up with no reason. My T650 has reset probably 2 times in the past week and both of which were while trying out non supported apps.

I think you need to read more into your facts before posting. All if not most of your claim is bogus.
    Well my take is this. You do have good points, but the simple fact remains that the 650 is the best smartphone on the market today. There simply isn't a much improved alternative. Given the present choices, I think the 650 is a fantastic buy. When something with those specs is finally released, you will be hungry for even more specs, and end up never buying a device. It's an endless loop, similar to waiting for the next Mhz. bump in the computer market. Sometimes you just have to cash your chips in and go with what's out there.

Whatever choice you make, I hope you find a device that addresses these things. Let us know when you do.
    1. Low Memory Limit.
    Hopefully, fixing #2 improves #1.

I think this is a plus. You can now carry a spare battery and not need to worry about recharging as often.

I wonder how many of those are from user error, incompatible software, etc?

6. Price
    No argument there!

Is anything else running something newer yet?

These are my simple observations and should not be considered a personal attack...
    Ditto my replies!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  6.    #6  
    Currently I'm leaning on the following options.

-Keep my T3 and use a seperate BT Phone
    -Sony Ericsson 910
    -Nokia 9500
    -To Many to mention Nokia and Sony Ericsson comming online.

You just lost your credibility here. A quasi-review of a product based on other reviews!!!

Be an independent thinker and come to your own conclusion with your own first-hand experience.
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 11/25/2004 at 09:28 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Be an independent thinker and come to your own conclusion with your own first-hand experience.
    I agree... First do your own review before posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome

You just lost your credibility here. A quasi-review of a product based on other reviews!!!

Deep..Deep.. (True..True..)
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 11/25/2004 at 09:29 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    This is why I haven't commented on the 650 yet. I should finally receive mine no later than Monday, then after a few days of playing around with it first hand I will be "qualified" to post comments about it.
    7 - "More powerful Smartphone entering the market." All smartphones entering the market would love to be a Treo but in one way or another they cannot. Most lack in one or more things.

You must be crazy. The ppc660x rockes the treo in every aspect.
    Bigger memory, wifi (with wificard), bigger screen, faster web browsing, faster processor, and a flash for the camera (6600).
    The only argueable issue is the form factor.

Plus the XDA 4 is coming out next year with its 1.3 mp, cdma, slide out keyboard, 512 mhz processor, and possibly pocket pc 2005. It will most likely take on the specs of the xda IIi, except with the addition of the slider keyboard. It will be announced Q1 2005.
    Last edited by nguyen23464; 11/25/2004 at 09:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Who are these people with a whole 2 posts to their record, starting a thread about why they won't buy the 650 (as if we care) which is not even backed up by personal experience - rather a re-hashing of stuff that's been in the public domain for weeks...?

Amazing.
    hey, those are your reason. good for you.

as for me, i cant wait. darn gsm.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    a re-hashing of stuff that's been in the public domain for weeks...
    I must admit, if I were coming here for the first time to see what all the Treo 650 buzz was about, it might scare me away from getting one. Then, I think back to the fall of 1999 when Handspring released the Visor. It, too, received much of the same negative publicity. I wandered into VisorCentral, read it all, ordered one anyway, and have never looked back!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    You must be crazy. The ppc660x rockes the treo in every aspect.
    Bigger memory, wifi (with wificard), bigger screen, faster web browsing, faster processor, and a flash for the camera (6600).

Plus the XDA 4 is coming out next year with its 1.3 mp, cdma, slide out keyboard, 512 mhz processor, and possibly pocket pc 2005. It will be announced Q1 2005.
    Please I had the iMATE PDA2K (same as the above mentioned) for about 1 week and finally said this device must go. Yes its a powerful tool but I would rather have my T650. I used WiFi maybe a total of 5 times and saw what it did to my battery. The slideout keyboard is at best decent. If you think its stable you must be crazy. Even with a 400 mhz processor it still locked up from time to time.

Im sure its a gem for some but its more a PDA than a phone as a T650 feels more like a phone with PDA capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dataquest
    This is why I haven't commented on the 650 yet. I should finally receive mine no later than Monday, then after a few days of playing around with it first hand I will be "qualified" to post comments about it.
    Quite true. Even though I've had first-hand experience with the Treo 650, I reserve final judgement until I have a unit to play with for an extended period of time.

I WILL say that I enjoyed my time with the Treo 650. The keyboard, camera, screen, speed, and overall feel of the device are excellent. I can say that because I've held the device in my hands and been able to evaluate those points first-hand.

I'll save the knit-picking for when I have more time with the unit.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I'm holding off on buying a Treo 650 for many of the same reasons as pierreb. Mainly the memory issues. And having seen the many T600 patches I don't have very much faith in the upcoming T650 patch. If its anything like past pathes, the memory will work great and the audio will crap out (or something else you won't expect will be broken) .

Do you know of a Smartphone on the level of the T600/650 that does not require a special jack? And of course being Bluetooth enabled you have a vast array of options outside of a special jack. The special jack cost $6 here at Treocentral's store. A $6 jack is not at all worth being part of the top 10 issues. Especially not #4.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Last I checked both T600 and T650 have the same jack. So whats the reason for posting this comment. Thought it was PROS and CONS..
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    ... The only argueable [sic] issue is the form factor...
    Exactly. Before upgrading to a smartphone, I used plain cell phones for years. The only real reason I ever bought a new phone was to get a smaller phone. For me, and for many others, form factor is a huge factor.
    It's easy to read all the negative hype and be predispositioned to not want one. I was under the same opinion when I walked to the Roadshow in Chicago. It wasn't until I was able to see the 600 and 650 side by side. Felt the new keyboard and saw the obvious OS improvements, I was hooked. I pre-ordered the GSM version and now I sit.

While the 650 only has minor improvements on the surface, it received a nice upgrade under the hood too. I'd suggest not passing judgement until you're able to see the device yourself.

c
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast