Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska
    Exactly. Before upgrading to a smartphone, I used plain cell phones for years. The only real reason I ever bought a new phone was to get a smaller phone. For me, and for many others, form factor is a huge factor.
    Most "cell phone" users do not appreciate the benefits of a "smart phone" I use to feel the same way until I bought my first "smart" phone the i330. Before that it was all about "screen savers and ringtones". That is about all you can add with a "cell phone". With my smart phone I can add a host of productivity tools and much much more! Now that I have progressed from the i330 to the i500 to the Treo 600 , now to the 650. I will NEVER go back to a "cell phone" no matter how small they get, because the only thing you can add is "screen savers and ringtones"
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    i recently sold my 650 for more then i paid for it. i loved the screen on the 650. the main reason i went back to the 600 was the memory i just couldnt live with 40 percent of the apps on there plus many apps werent compatible with the 650 and the 650 was actually slower than the 600 at launching apps etc. there will probably be a patch to utilize the memory better and speed it up i dont know when that will be so i will wait.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Who are these people with a whole 2 posts to their record, starting a thread about why they won't buy the 650 (as if we care) which is not even backed up by personal experience - rather a re-hashing of stuff that's been in the public domain for weeks...?

Amazing.
    No sure about you but before I PURCHASE a product, any product I usually research WHAT I’m buying before I put my money down. Good for you if you have the CASH to buy and then provide your experiences with the product.

I was expecting personal attacks and then some meaningful criticism however about my 10 reasons not to buy.

Please do enjoy your Treo 650.
    Who are these people with a whole 2 posts to their record, starting a thread about why they won't buy the 650 (as if we care) which is not even backed up by personal experience - rather a re-hashing of stuff that's been in the public domain for weeks...?

Amazing.
    Minsc,

I have few posts, but I agree with you. I have had the 650 for almost a week. While I am concerned about the memory issues, it is not a show stopper for me. I love the unit - it is the best device of this type I have owned. If I had read all of these comments before I bought the device, I would probably have reconsidered my decision. However, it is too late for me now. I have used it, fallen in love with it, and will never send it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    You must be crazy. The ppc660x rockes the treo in every aspect.
    Bigger memory, wifi (with wificard), bigger screen, faster web browsing, faster processor, and a flash for the camera (6600).
    The only argueable issue is the form factor.

Plus the XDA 4 is coming out next year with its 1.3 mp, cdma, slide out keyboard, 512 mhz processor, and possibly pocket pc 2005. It will most likely take on the specs of the xda IIi, except with the addition of the slider keyboard. It will be announced Q1 2005.
    Treo 650 will (supposedly) have wifi, sharper screen (more pixels per inch), faster web browsing (yes, I'm going to say the Treo 650 is faster, but neither of us have specs on this do we?), faster processor for the OS (i.e. PalmOS apps on a 300Mhz run faster than those on MS at 400Mhz), better form factor, better keyboard, better usability with things like the 5 way navigation.

By the time the XDA 4 actually comes out the Treo 700 will likely be well underway.
    you're missing out.... the 650 is incredible.....
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    2 reasons why i DID buy a treo 650

1. PPC phones all have one thing in common....their phone applications are absolutely atrocious...it supposed to be a phone first yet none of them have a simple and easy to use and completely integrated phone application like the treo line....

2. this forum .....treocentral is the best user forum on the internet today...problems always seem to get addressed and resolved...there's a large group of people here who go out of their way to help fix issues and somehow things happen here first.....
    "Yet each man kills the thing he loves, from all let this be heard. Some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word. The coward does it with a kiss the brave man with the sword."
    -- Oscar Wilde
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan
    2. this forum .....treocentral is the best user forum on the internet today...problems always seem to get addressed and resolved...there's a large group of people here who go out of their way to help fix issues and somehow things happen here first.....
    Hear, hear. I may disagree with some of you here, but this forum has greatly enhanced my treo user experience and is one of the key intangible benefits of owning a treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by pierreb
    No sure about you but before I PURCHASE a product, any product I usually research WHAT I’m buying before I put my money down. Good for you if you have the CASH to buy and then provide your experiences with the product.
    if you buy from sprint, you have 14 days to try it. if you don't like it, return it for a full refund.

there's no good reason not to get a 650 and see for yourself. if it turns out you were right, you've lost nothing.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    if you buy from sprint, you have 14 days to try it. if you don't like it, return it for a full refund.

there's no good reason not to get a 650 and see for yourself. if it turns out you were right, you've lost nothing.
    Point well taken!

Amazing.
    So are you saying that someone with more posts has a more valid point than a newer person?

By that logic SeldomVisitor is the All Knowing God of this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMike
    By that logic SeldomVisitor is the All Knowing God of this forum.
    You have attained Enlightenment.
    Sorry to hear that; you'll definitely be missing out. And regarding the PPC6601, in addition to it being a PPC device with its own issues of stability and usability, it is heavier and larger than the 650 (see this for more details).
    im a diehard t600user & was ready to get a 650...but so disappointed about the memmoy issues...for me that will not do..especially paing another$600 for a down grade in performaace & increased aggreation...i got enough of that in my life as it is. I research my expensive hightech purchases carefully (just ask my wife) & feel that "upgrading" to 650 @ this time is not reasonable concept...especially since I have my 600 configured how I want without any problems (on my 4th t600) & don't want to KNOWINGLY put myself thru that hassle & aggrevation anytime soon with another but worse mess palm calls the T650. guess ill see what comes along I can feel good about & fits my needs. I am very disappointed & looked forward to t650, but logic & reason dictates its not for me. I do think some on TC are so blindly diehard for palm/latest&greatest that reason flies out the window & will settle for subpar product regardless of the facts. Wanna buy some swamp land in florida? want your moneys worth? think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    im a diehard t600user & was ready to get a 650...but so disappointed about the memmoy issues...for me that will not do..especially paing another$600 for a down grade in performaace & increased aggreation...i got enough of that in my life as it is. I research my expensive hightech purchases carefully (just ask my wife) & feel that "upgrading" to 650 @ this time is not reasonable concept...especially since I have my 600 configured how I want without any problems (on my 4th t600) & don't want to KNOWINGLY put myself thru that hassle & aggrevation anytime soon with another but worse mess palm calls the T650. guess ill see what comes along I can feel good about & fits my needs. I am very disappointed & looked forward to t650, but logic & reason dictates its not for me. I do think some on TC are so blindly diehard for palm/latest&greatest that reason flies out the window & will settle for subpar product regardless of the facts. Wanna buy some swamp land in florida? want your moneys worth? think about it.
    since you can return the T650 within 14 days of activation for a full refund, why not actually *see* if the memory issues will be a problem for you? if you have more than 2000 contacts - i'm not certain that's the threshold - you may have memory problems. but again, what harm is there in trying it out to find out first hand? if it blows chunks, return it, no harm, no foul.
    Last edited by anastrophe; 11/27/2004 at 05:41 PM. Reason: typo
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Um, 11 reasons? (2 number 2's)?

Yeah, maybe you are better off with some other "smart" phone.

This is my simple observation.
    10 reasons why I will not buy a Treo650.
    3. No need for a replaceable battery
    This is an interesting reason for NOT buying something

8. More powerful Smartphone entering the market.
    I hope it's not the Samsung i550 or you'll be in for a loooooooong wait. That was my holy grail in smartphones, but it looks to be dead in the water so I found a 650 at the Palm store in Century City and am happy so far. I came from a Sidekick (piece of $#!7) and a Visor Prism with Minstrel S modem before that and the 650 is a treat.

I just have to get over my fondness and familiarity with a Clie NX80 with 1.3MP camera and huge 320x480 screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    You must be crazy. The ppc660x rockes the treo in every aspect.
    Bigger memory, wifi (with wificard), bigger screen, faster web browsing, faster processor, and a flash for the camera (6600).
    The only argueable issue is the form factor.

Plus the XDA 4 is coming out next year with its 1.3 mp, cdma, slide out keyboard, 512 mhz processor, and possibly pocket pc 2005. It will most likely take on the specs of the xda IIi, except with the addition of the slider keyboard. It will be announced Q1 2005.
    Oh noo! Not u again!
    I thought u were banned!!

These are based on post observations from numerous discussion groups.

1. Low Memory Limit.
    2. Poor Memory management
    2. No Wifi
    3. No need for a replaceable battery
    4. Special jack for headphone required.
    5. Numerous reset problems
    6. Price
    7. Low end camera
    8. More powerful Smartphone entering the market.
    9. Still same old Palm OS
    10. Memory issues will be patched shortly by Palm, which means short
    Term instability for existing palm software and for new software about to be released.

These are my simple observations and should not be considered a personal attack
    Against the PRO Treo 650 CAMP.
    He who speaks does not know. He who knows does not speak. —Lao-Tzu (Tao Te Ching)
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12