Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1.    #1  
    What is create "Virtual Serial Port" ? Any easy steps for bluetooth sync?
  2. #2  
    Yea, I'm having problems figuring out the PC end of it myself. The 650 part is easy, but the instructions are different from PC to PC so i guess it's gonna be hard to get help with this.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
  3. #3  
    Haha. Gotta love it. I was up and running on my iBook within 2 minutes. I still haven't been able to sync via BT w/my Thinkpad. ????
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Haha. Gotta love it. I was up and running on my iBook within 2 minutes. I still haven't been able to sync via BT w/my Thinkpad. ????
    Same here with my PowerBook and my Thinkpad! How do you create the virtual serial port?
  5. #5  
    Yeah, Windows sucks with BT right now.
    Just pair the phone via the BT control panel or utility (won't work without this), set your hotsync to "local", and try COM ports 4, 5, 6 and 7. One of those should work. Did for me on two different PCs. Of course, my Mac did it at once wihout any fuss - but I don't like my Mac very much.
  6. #6  
    I only have COM1 as an option in HotSync and when I try this it says it is already in use.
  7. #7  
    I have a Belkin F8T001. In my bluetooth places, I can goto view or modify configuration. Client Application, bluetooth serial Port, Properties. It took me awhile to figure it out and now it works good. Mines on com 5.

    Edited 10:00am

    Click on the hotsync icon, goto setup, click local tab, choose your com that your bluetooth is on, and speed as fast as possible. Click ok. Click on the hotsync icon again a make sure their is a check by local, you can also have a check by local usb, but your treo cable has to be unplugged.
    Last edited by Goldfinger; 11/25/2004 at 09:03 AM.
  8. #8  
    What type of distances are you guys seeing while syncing through BT? With the free Jabra BT250 headset you can go about 5 feet away from the phone before you start to get static in the headset. I'd like to be able to sync my phone through BT from across the room, but don't know if that is going to be possible. Has anybody been able to get a good distance away (according to the jabra doc it will work up to 33 feet away) while syncing or on their headset????
  9. #9  
    I have successfully synced mine phone at about 25 feet. I just wished they used v1.2 for better sound quality with the headsets, and a little faster.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger
    I have successfully synced mine phone at about 25 feet. I just wished they used v1.2 for better sound quality with the headsets, and a little faster.
    Thanks Goldfinger. ....I'm going to go out and brave the crowds tomorrow and purchase a USB bluetooth adapter to see how it works. Hopefully will be able to sync across the room.
  11. #11  
    If you go into your device manager, under ports, you should find a virtual com port for bluetooth. If there is none, then you need to configure the bluetooth software on your computer to create one. My Keninston USB bluetooth key set all this up for me on the install. Now, it's working for my laptop and my desktop just fine.
  12. #12  
    I just want to let you know that it does take awhile to sync with your pc. I turned my backup off to make it faster. They say it is 723 kbps, but it seems to be slower. When I have big files to transfer, I just stick the sd card into my pc, or just the usb cable, which is very fast.
  13. #13  
    I've been using Microsoft USB dongle for my bluetooth mouse.

    When I go to Control Panel -> Wireless link, I can authenticate my T650-- it recognizes my hotsynch name, and authenticates; but there's no field for the virtual Com port. I've checked Device Manager and I can't find any COM port other than COM1.

    I don't have any other interface available to me to add a virtual COM port, so I can't find an available port in Hotsync manager-- I'm using Windows XP SP1.

    Can someone help me to install a virtual port, please?
  14. #14  
    Come to find out, it wasnt a Windows problem for me (as much as you Mac guys would have loved it to be), it was the Dell Bluetooth software. Once I fumbled around with it, I am up and flying. I'm not sure what option changed it for me, but something in there did the trick after i messed with it.

    Thanks guys.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
  15. #15  
    I have the Belkin 100M USB Bluetooth adapter. In the device properties you can set up a virtual serial port that is recognized by Hotsync but since pull the USB dongle in and out Hotsync complains because the virtual serial port disappears. The speed is slow not because of Bluetooth but because of the virtual serial port. This is a palmOne issue - Hotsync needs to support Bluetooth directly.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by GADzilla
    Come to find out, it wasnt a Windows problem for me (as much as you Mac guys would have loved it to be), it was the Dell Bluetooth software. Once I fumbled around with it, I am up and flying. I'm not sure what option changed it for me, but something in there did the trick after i messed with it.

    Thanks guys.
    I have a Dell Latitude D800, and just spent the last three hours in vain speaking with a Dell technician. How did you access this software?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    I have a Dell Latitude D800, and just spent the last three hours in vain speaking with a Dell technician. How did you access this software?
    Sorry to rebute those who want to bash BT setup issues. BT setup for my new 650 was a breeze. Headset and sync working in less than 10 minutes. Like anything, in order for the set up to work (virtual serial port and all), you have to understand the items you're trying to configure. And, yes, each PC manufacturer has a little different program to manage their BT and/or WiFi set ups. Mine was a Compaq/HP laptop -- and it was a breeze...
    KitMoni
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    Sorry to rebute those who want to bash BT setup issues. BT setup for my new 650 was a breeze. Headset and sync working in less than 10 minutes.
    I'm not bashing-- I'm simply looking for help.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    I have a Dell Latitude D800, and just spent the last three hours in vain speaking with a Dell technician. How did you access this software?
    Double click the little Bluetooth symbol in the bottom right of the toolbar. If it's not there, you need to install the software. You should have it on your disks that you got with your laptop. If not you can get it on http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by GADzilla
    Double click the little Bluetooth symbol in the bottom right of the toolbar. If it's not there, you need to install the software. You should have it on your disks that you got with your laptop. If not you can get it on http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/
    Thanks for trying-- I checked the download page, and could only find updated drivers for the Bluetooth internal card. Since I don't have this preinstalled on my computer, I don't think it can help.

    I will try to upgrade from Windows XP SP1 to SP2, because it's supposed to better support the MS Bluetooth Tranceiver. If someone has SP2 and can corroborate this, I'd really appreciate it, since I've been putting off this upgrade because of potential software conflicts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions