Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BT not directly supported?
    You have use a virtual serial port?

JFCOC....first BT 1.1 instead of 1.2, then the memory/file system debacle, now this?

If you are going to do BT, at least do it right.

Oh well, let's pray the Treo 700 has BT 2.0.
    If you have XP SP2 (at least on my thinkpad t40p), support should be native. i turned on the radio (first time since upgrading to SP2), if found the drivers. If you right click the bluetooth icon in the system tray and get settings, you need to turn discovery on in the "discovery" section, and make sure "allow bluetooth devices to connect to this computer" is checked in the Connections sectin of the Options tab. After that, the devices should link up (and will ask each other for the password). After they trust each other, just go back to bluetooth settings (if it's not in your system tray, see if there's a Bluetooth Devices control panel), go to the COM Ports tab, then click Add. You'll be asked if it's in incoming (yes!) or outgoing port. it will generate a virtual COM port and list it -- this is the COM port you need to set in hotsync manager. Worked like a champ in 5 minutes. Swapping files is a breeze, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by nc-chris
    If you have XP SP2 (at least on my thinkpad t40p), support should be native. i turned on the radio (first time since upgrading to SP2), if found the drivers. If you right click the bluetooth icon in the system tray and get settings, you need to turn discovery on in the "discovery" section, and make sure "allow bluetooth devices to connect to this computer" is checked in the Connections sectin of the Options tab. After that, the devices should link up (and will ask each other for the password). After they trust each other, just go back to bluetooth settings (if it's not in your system tray, see if there's a Bluetooth Devices control panel), go to the COM Ports tab, then click Add. You'll be asked if it's in incoming (yes!) or outgoing port. it will generate a virtual COM port and list it -- this is the COM port you need to set in hotsync manager. Worked like a champ in 5 minutes. Swapping files is a breeze, too.
    Thank you so much for corroborating this for me!! I'd never upgraded to SP2 because of concerns about software conflicts. I then posted my issue on the Microsoft forum at dslreports.com, and someone posted a picture of the GUI for Bluetooth devices. I was losing my mind trying to find it until he pointed out that it was nowhere to be found on SP1. But before upgrading, I needed a bright person here on TC to assure me that it would work.
    Agreed on the XP SP2 comment: Totally easy.

However, I have found that bluetooth sync is painfully slow.

Is anyone else having bluetooth sync performance issues?
    It is very slow. I only use it to sync calandar, memos and contacts, turned all the other conduits off.
    I was able to sync in another room down a flight of stairs... probably around ~20 feet or so.
    Thank you all for your help in this thread, especially NC-Chris!

After the hours I spent trying to get this to work, the hotsync progressed like lightning.
    I'm having problems with the bluetooth sync too. Good post NC-Chris, I went through that same process but when I try to sync it errors out and says the port is in use by another application. I've tried adding multiple com ports as well but get the same error. Any ideas?????
  9.    #29  
    i get the same thing
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsam99
    Thanks Goldfinger. ....I'm going to go out and brave the crowds tomorrow and purchase a USB bluetooth adapter to see how it works. Hopefully will be able to sync across the room.
    You could always solder an antenna on that USB BT adapter, and get 500 feet or more:
    http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/ar...714017,00.html

That's what I plan on doing so I can control my media center from my backyard, now all from my Treo 650. (using Salling Clicker and Mac OS X)
    Anyone got any ideas on what to do when it says the com port is in use by another application? I've already tried creating multiple new ports...
    My bluetooth sync is very slow. I bought a 512 MB SD card and want to load it with about 300 MB of MP3 files. It's been going for hours and not even close to done. I think it's going about 14 Kbps.

Is there any way to speed this up? Maybe when setting up the virtual port, don't use "as fast as possible" -- but rather try to set the speed manually? I'll try this later, I don't want to interrupt the current transfer - which at this rate, will be done sometime tomorrow!
    The only way to speed it up is to the the usb cable. Someone told me that the virtual serial port is whats causing the slow down. Hot Sync needs to support bluetooth directly. I would turn backup off when using bluetooth, it will make a difference.
    How did you determine 14kbps? In theory, the fastest in which you can transfer data over Bluetooth is ~750kbps. If you have any cordless phones or WiFi (802.11b) stuff in the area, it will likely impact transfer speeds.

300MB at 512kbps is will run you an hour and half just to move the data. This doesn't account for any other protocol overhead, interference, or anything else that takes place during the hotsync process.

14kbps is definately too slow, thus I'm curious to know how you determined that speed. I would think it will take well over an hour or more to bluetooth sync 300MB or more of data doesn't sound terribly wrong. Have you tried with a cable to see if their is a difference?

My cable hotsyncs aren't that much faster than bluetooth for small syncs (not that I performed any real timings). This makes me think its either a) internal to the Treo or b) related to the behavior of the hotsync process (which I am not that familiar). Eitherway, both sync considerably faster than my T600. I haven't tried moving any really large amount of data to/from the device as of yet. SHould be an interesting test for this weekend.

I'm running an IBM Thinkpad T30 with WinXP SP2 and a T650 (of course). I'm using the laptop's internal bluetooth functionality.

--Mike
    I too had problems Hotsyncing my 650 with my Dell laptop using Bluetooth. I was able to install the needed Dell Bluetooth software and configure COM port for connection by:

1. Downloading and installing the "Dell TrueMoblie 300 Bluetooth Internal Card, vBTW 3.0.2.803 -Stack Only, A05."

2. Right clicking the Bluetooth icon in the lower right corner and choosing "Open Bluetooth Settings." I used the "Devices" tab to add my 650 and chose a passcode, then clicked the "COM Ports" tab to add the needed "virutal serial port."

3. The 650 "Bluetooth HotSync" wizards walked me through the rest.

Thanks to GADzilla for pointing me in the right direction. I hope this will help someone as GADzilla's post helped me.
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING
    New Member here...

I'm having problems to get the Jabra 250 recognized!

can anyone let me know if i'm doing something wrong?

I've been trying since yesterday when i got my 650 with no luck
    is there a magic procedure for this?

thanks for your help
    regards,
    Mastersonics
    Thanks. A soft reset on the 650 fixed my "serial port in use" problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivo
    I have the Belkin 100M USB Bluetooth adapter. In the device properties you can set up a virtual serial port that is recognized by Hotsync but since pull the USB dongle in and out Hotsync complains because the virtual serial port disappears. The speed is slow not because of Bluetooth but because of the virtual serial port. This is a palmOne issue - Hotsync needs to support Bluetooth directly.

Anyone find a fix to the virtual serial port disappearing problem?
    I have found a workaround for the "port is in use by another application" error:
    Open My Bluetooth Places / Bluetooth configuration/ Local Services . Double-click on the Bluetooth Serial Port that you created. Don't change anything in the resulting box; just click OK. The 'puter will think for a few seconds, and then close the box. Your next hotsynch will work fine. However, the hotsynch after that will get the error again.
    I have no idea why this process works, but for me it does. Having said that, I'm going back to the cable, which is much faster and more reliable.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12