1.    #1  
    What about licensing zlanucher for us, until they can include a similar application in their native launcher so the device treats SD and internal memory seamlessly.

We have seen that palm is going to look into improving the firmware on the 650 to deal with the memory issue and offer a 128mb flash card. However we still need a way to utilize the SD card memory effectively.

IMHO this should have been done regardless of the included memory size in the 650. Without this Palm OS is like Dos with emm.sys and himem.sys. You could get extra memory but you still had deal with all these restrictions, and things that had to be put in the first 640K.
    can someone post step by step how to set up zlauncher... this app is so confusing , I bought it and played with it and got sooo lost that I had deleted it and revert back the more friendly user powerrun though I have a feeling I am missing something by not figuring how to use zlauncher...help help help
    Go to this website:

http://www.1src.com/

It's probably the largest palmOS community on the net. Register, do a search in the forums for ZLauncher and you'll get tons of helpful threads.
    mbrenner, I also suggested that p1 should be using an SD-compatible launcher. I'm still amazed that no Palm OS hardware licensee has a stock launcher that allows you to store anything to SD and categorize the apps wherever you want them. Palm Source deserves the most blame here, but as apps like PowerRun and ZLauncher show, it's possible to workaround the problems with the core OS and I can't believe none of the licensees have done it.

Scott
    Last edited by Scott R; 11/26/2004 at 12:52 AM.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Their KB article states that you can you use App | Copy in the 650 launcher to move an app to the SD card, without the need for a third party app. Did anyone try this and can share his experiences?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moroner
    Their KB article states that you can you use App | Copy in the 650 launcher to move an app to the SD card, without the need for a third party app. Did anyone try this and can share his experiences?
    The problem with the built-in application launcher is that it moves the "presence" of the application out of main memory. If you have any other applications that use system tie-ins like the "Exchange Manager" which, for example, lets you open an attachment in e-mail by calling up the appropriate application automatically, the manager can't find the application if it is NOT in main memory.

The added benefit of 3rd-party launchers like ZLauncher is that they not only dynamically relocate the application to the card, but they also relocate its associated databases, and they place a "shortcut" in the main memory so that other applications will know how to find and run them.

It's this kind of functionality that makes 3rd-party launchers valuable. This should have been built into the stock launcher of the OS when it started "supporting" external memory. Basically, the built-in launcher isn't smart enough.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    The added benefit of 3rd-party launchers like ZLauncher is that they not only dynamically relocate the application to the card, but they also relocate its associated databases, and they place a "shortcut" in the main memory so that other applications will know how to find and run them.
    This is the biggest difference IMHO, and the SD card that p1 wants to give away isn't gonna do jack nothing since the native launcher doesn't allow .pdb's to be moved, which are the bulk
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I was looking at the Zlauncher page, it says it uses intergrate FlyZip ... I thought Flyzip didn't work on the 650?
    well that's not to say that it isn't supported on OS 5.2.1, remember T650 is OS 5.4
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    thanks but I thought someone can help me at tc not at diffrent site...
    Thank you for your answers. Quite a disappointment from P1. Now, I understand that applications that do background work need to reside in main memory, but why should the Exchange Manager care? It could remember that an app is registered on SD-Card No 42, and if that card is not in the slot, simply ignore the app for requests. Also it should not be too difficult to have an application together with all its databases transparently on the card, and behave the same as if it were in main memory, including complete hotsync support. I mean, every network application can deal with temporarily missing resources, why can't PalmOS?

With regard to ZLauncher, when copying a db from SD Card to internal memory, does it write it to the internal flash, or is it smart enough to only load into RAM?