Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After a couple days of flawless operation, my VersaMail started causing reboots on any performed action within it.

By dialing ##377 after the reboot, the error was in VFSDBCache.c line 5???.

I suspected a corrupt file. I discovered how to reset VersaMail back to a virginal state.

WARNING: The following procedure will erase all the VersaMail email and settings stored on the Treo650. Server messages will not be touched

I used the file manager Filez to delete the following files:

MMIDCache0 through 8
    MMNotify Send
    MultiMail Attachments
    MultiMail Disconnected
    MultiMail Messages

Basically any files with a creator asc3 or asc4 that is not in ROM. The creator is visible via 'details' in Filez.

After doing this, launching VersaMail will bring up the initial setup wizard. Redefine your account and preferences and you should have a working VersaMail again.

This procedure 'worked for me' on my Treo650. Don't blame me if you do it and your Treo eats your cat and then explodes.

Hope this is helpful to others. Maybe somebody can make this post sticky.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGuy
    After a couple days of flawless operation, my VersaMail started causing reboots on any performed action within it.

By dialing ##377 after the reboot, the error was in VFSDBCache.c line 5???.

I suspected a corrupt file. I discovered how to reset VersaMail back to a virginal state.

WARNING: The following procedure will erase all the VersaMail email and settings stored on the Treo650. Server messages will not be touched

I used the file manager Filez to delete the following files:

MMIDCache0 through 8
    MMNotify Send
    MultiMail Attachments
    MultiMail Disconnected
    MultiMail Messages

Basically any files with a creator asc3 or asc4 that is not in ROM. The creator is visible via 'details' in Filez.

After doing this, launching VersaMail will bring up the initial setup wizard. Redefine your account and preferences and you should have a working VersaMail again.

This procedure 'worked for me' on my Treo650. Don't blame me if you do it and your Treo eats your cat and then explodes.

Hope this is helpful to others. Maybe somebody can make this post sticky.
    YOU ROCK!
    I gave up on VersaMail. I would have to hit the Get Mail button at least three times before it would successfully connect and retrieve my mail. AutoSync failed everytime too. Went back to SnapperMail and have had no problems since.
    When my versamail was continually crashing whenever I tried to download email I found that deleting all the old emails fixed the problem. Is this the same thing as deleting the cache?

Another hint for versamail I found was that it was having intermittent success in downloading email from my Univ. account via IMAP.

Once I saw where I could set my "root" folder in versamail to be "inbox" (to match the Univ. system) it now works EVERYTIME!

Versamail sucks! This is my 3rd time recovering from a VersaMail crash. The first time it crashed is when I open up VersaMail. The second time was when I try to delete a mail. The third time is when I select all and tries to delete all mail.

I think it has to do with the number of messages I have and the memory space is taking up.

A reset was caused on 12/1/04 at 8:41 am while running "VersaMail";

MemoryMgr.c, Line:3728,Non-word-aligned handle

I currently have 3 mail accounts on VersaMail. All POPs. I also hated the fact that it would add the mails I deleted when I sync up. I ended up disabling the VersaMail Conduit. I know they made some improvements from the Mail program to VersaMail, but I never had any problems with my Treo 600 program. SnapperMail is great, but I refuse to pay for a mail program. Mail should be included with the Palm. Shoot...we pay big bucks to get the phone. The least they can do is figure this one out. Come on PalmOne...

And the whole memory issue...Didn't they know that people were going to migrate from 600 to 650? Sure with a 128MB SD Card we can move all our applications there. But, I just hate it when vendors tries to give you an upgrade that is not backward compatible.

Enough venting. Hope my 650 will get better when they release a flash update.
    Has anyone had success in getting IMAP folders OTHER than the Inbox to sync successfully with the 'Get' command? I have the folders set up, but as soon as I hit Get, it grabs the first message and reboots.
    I used these tips to remove VersaMail (as much as I could). VMail was giving me a soft reset each time I tried to go to Sent Items. I'm abandoning VM for now and will use SM.
    Deleting the MultiMail and MMIDCache files with the FILEZ app kept my system from rebooting.
    Last edited by MrTreo; 12/02/2004 at 03:39 AM.
    Thanks for these tips Linux Guy. A big help.
    Thanks for the help. I just got into the endless series of reboots. Deletion of all of the asc3 and asc4 files using Filez fixed it. After setting up my account again, my imap mail is syncing much faster. It starts within 10 seconds vs 90 seconds before this. Is this just a coincidence?
    From prior experience (I purchased versamail for the 600 6 months ago and sent it back) I too feel versamail is terrible. I am almost afraid to mention it, but lockups havent occurred for 3 days now after setting activesync to "do nothing" in regard to versamail, and I am beginning to think it is at the root of many crashes with the 650. IMHO
    Jeff
    Thanks for the info, you saved my Versamail - Tier 2 support could not even fix the problem for me.

Mortgageguy
    I'm finding VM to be buggy as well. I ran into "Not enough memory" errors when trying to sync with sprintpcs mail. I deleted 60 of my mail messages in my company inbox and the error went away. How could 60 mail messages cause me to run out of memory when trying to retrieve one message from my sprint account? I still had 5 mb free on the 650.
    Thanks so much! Deleting those files appears to have settled my VersaMail corruption too. Yahooo! I'll keep SnapperMail installed for now... but when the trial period runs out, I'm hoping to return to Versamail.
    Doug
    Doug
    LinuxGuy
    your awesome, solved my versamail problems in minutes and I was working on it for hours. sitll wonder how those items got on my 650 if they are not needed. HmMMM
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectronicLover
    LinuxGuy
    your awesome, solved my versamail problems in minutes and I was working on it for hours. sitll wonder how those items got on my 650 if they are not needed. HmMMM
    Those files are configuration and database files used by versamail. Once you reconfigure Versamail and download some email, the files will again exist. The problem is that 1 or more of these files gets corrupted.

Nate
    versamail is such a disappointment.

Back to Snapper mail
    LinuxGuy,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thanks to you my problem was solved!
    I find that not only Versamail, but the I'm constantly experiencing soft resets when running the pre installed pic/video mail programs and SMS programs. I haven't the slightest idea how to fix the problems, or even if they are fixable, but I suspect that I'm not the only one with these problems. P1 needs to address these soft reset problems and release a fix. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they do this soon.
    Deleting just MultiMail Disconnected helped me.
    Treoing & Loving it
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast