1.    #1  
    I am thinking of switching from Nextel to Sprint for the Treo 650.

But now I am reading all the news reports and posts about the lack of memory on the new 650.

Stupid question, but why is that such a bad thing?

I see myself using it for the e-mail, calendar, contacts functions with a pictures being taken. Would the phone "crash" doing these normal functions?
    I don't think you will have any issues with your intended use. It is those with large amounts of 3rd party apps and large record databases that will have issues. But, P1 is working on a fix. See this link for more details:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/494-1.htm
    C'mon, Jes, it's the American way! Bigger is always better...64 oz drinks...Suburban moms driving H2's...Super Size Fries
    The "lack of memory" (*) is bad because the TREO line is not touted as a bunch of plain-Jane cellphones that can do the Plain-Jane stuff (organizer, email, web surfing, calendar that ALL cellphones (almost) can do for NO COST even) but is touted as something much more powerful where the full range of applications that one can usually have on a laptop, for example, can be simultaneosuly held on your TREO.

If the TREO can't do that, then the outrageous price (and expectations) become a significant negative.

And memory is the key.

=======

(*) I use "lack" almost comically - it FLOORS me that 32 MEGABYTES of memory is considered too little - software bloat has become an amazing problem, IMHO, but that's a topic for another thread elsewhere!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    The "lack of memory" (*) is bad because the TREO line is not touted as a bunch of plain-Jane cellphones that can do the Plain-Jane stuff (organizer, email, web surfing, calendar that ALL cellphones (almost) can do for NO COST even) but is touted as something much more powerful where the full range of applications that one can usually have on a laptop, for example, can be simultaneosuly held on your TREO.

If the TREO can't do that, then the outrageous price (and expectations) become a significant negative.
    I don't think Willie Mays is asking for generalities as to why the memory issue is problematic for some power users. He's considering buying the phone for his own usage, so to be helpful, we should try to evaluate whether he will run up against the memoy limit. My guess is it won't be a problem.

Even if some "plain Jane" cell phones are capable of simple organizer/ email/ web surfing/ calendar functions, the treo line can perform all of those things significantly better, so the Treo 650 can hold a lot of appeal to users even if they aren't planning on loading up RSS readers, ssh clients, etc. For those users, the 32MB of internal memory is very likely to be enough.

For The Say Hey Kid especially, coming from a Nextel phone without a significant investment in Palm software, i wouldn't worry about the lack of memory for his stated usage of "e-mail, calendar, contacts functions with a pictures being taken," unless he has over 5000 contacts. The memory is the space needed for installing programs and storing data, so when you run out, the issue isn't so much crashes as just the inability to load new programs. But the 23 MB (17 if you install the included Word/Excel/ppt apps) should be adequate with plenty of room to grow. An external SD card can help a lot if that's not the case.