1.    #1  
    I appologize if this has been posted already. I was looking at the "My Handheld" page for the Treo 650 on the P1 website. There was a link saying something like "Take Note - upgrading to a Treo 650 - learn more". It takes you to a support page that explains the NVFS memory and data storage limitations. If nothing else thisshows that P1 was well aware of the issue and took the time to create this lengthy explanantion:

Link to the Treo 650 "My Handheld" site: http://www.palmone.com/us/community/...phone/treo650/

Link directly to the NVFS explanantion:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(35222)

Again, sorry if this has already been posted, but I've never seen it before.
    It's in our lead article on the front.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    It's in our lead article on the front.

Wow! Thanks Miradu for that update! The 128 MB card is nice, but I'm much more interested in the Rom update. The SD card are dirt cheap these days anyway! Regardless, it nice to see PalmOne finally reacting positively in this dircetion! Yeah!!!

P.S. Miradu, can you also comment on the hard reset issue I posted in another thread pl? Thanks!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=63723

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Miradu, One more thing.

Did PalmOne mention anything about releasing a similar Rom update for the T5 as well? I assume the T5 has the same memory problems as the Treo 650, but will they not release it for the T5 b/c they think it already has enough ram to begin with? Tx...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Awesome guys we did it. We made them respond
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Miradu, One more thing.

Did PalmOne mention anything about releasing a similar Rom update for the T5 as well? I assume the T5 has the same memory problems as the Treo 650, but will they not release it for the T5 b/c they think it already has enough ram to begin with? Tx...
    Yeah. I think this discussion board would have 50% fewer posts if the Treo 650 had 256 MB of onboard memory.

In my opinion, gutting the ROM is just a way of switching programs from ROM into RAM. In the end, the same functionality will take the same space. So, the way to free up more onboard memory will be removing functionality. In the end, any NVFS device like this needs at least 64 MB of memory to avoid the old memory dance.

How about a send-in program: send your Treo 650 into PalmOne and for $25-50 they swap in 64 or 256 MB of memory. Something like Apple had to do for their IPODs with lousy non-replaceable batteries. Only a portion of Treo 650 owners would take them up on it, but it would let us get the upgrade without using some eventual 3rd-party hardware hack that void the warranty.
    gfunk, I'm gonna "borrow" your avatar and use it for myself. It's kinda pathetic how much I find myself looking at that young lady's you know what. Ahhh... the simple pleasures in life...

Do I have to pay you royalties now?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    How about a send-in program: send your Treo 650 into PalmOne and for $25-50 they swap in 64 or 256 MB of memory.
    If it were socketed, this would be a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, it's too expensive to come up with a system to desolder the memory and swap. Swapping system boards is not cost effective because of the waste, and you create another problem since sending a new system board or a new phone out means forcing the end-user to get reprovisioned on a CDMA system.

Makes me miss the old Pilot series where you could upgrade the RAM yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    gfunk, I'm gonna "borrow" your avatar and use it for myself. It's kinda pathetic how much I find myself looking at that young lady's you know what. Ahhh... the simple pleasures in life...

Nice to see how relaxed people on TreoCentral are. Thank goodness for SeldomVisitor...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Zen_of_Palm

Zen I didn't see that post until just now. I'm subscribed to a gazillion posts around here so forgive me if I miss a post here or there.

In any case, if you had just pm'd me with a message like that or just responded when I pm'd you, then I probably wouldn't have cared and this whole fiasco wouldn't have happenned. Instead the lack of communication and your refusal to respond exacerbated the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Zen I didn't see that post until just now. I'm subscribed to a gazillion posts around here so forgive me if I miss a post here or there.

In any case, if you had just pm'd me with a message like that or just responded when I pm'd you, then I probably wouldn't have cared and this whole fiasco wouldn't have happenned. Instead the lack of communication and your refusal to respond exacerbated the situation...

I think I can speak for TZoP and let you know that they would probably tell you go **** yourself up the ***. I mean that in the most friendly, respectful, non-banworthy way. I believe TZoP also already told you on this board that they don't read PMs.

Have a nice day, sweetie.