Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 168
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    ...the Treo 600 was a poor phone and a poor pda. The Treo might get there someday, but it will be a few generations from now.
    I must be a little backwards, because it's there for me now.

    Lovin' my new 650...
  2.    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    I must be a little backwards, because it's there for me now.

    Lovin' my new 650...

    For you and 300,000 users who have bought this holiday season.
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    OK SV, that was mean.

    Every Palm PDA from the $199 Tungsten E and up is getting one of these stupid $10 SD cards. Very generous of Palm to include the crippled $650 Treo 650 in the list of PDAs that qualify for the giveaway.
    Why do you keep saying that the Treo 650 costs $650 when it is only $599? Am I missing something or is it just plain old exaggeration?

    http://web.palmone.com/products/comm...tegoryId=30025
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Obviously it won't satisfy everyone... but given that they need time to put together a ROM update, this buys them some time with the average consumer (which is most likely not a TC member).
    I thought we have the "average consumer" to blame for the thinking that 14MB (minus another 5MB for Docs to Go) was more than adequate for a smartphone during the lifetime of the product (until 2006 or so to be fair?)

    Why would "Joe 6-pack" suddenly need ANOTHER 128MB of this memory to "buy time" moments after the Treo650 has been released? My gawd PalmOne! That's about 8-10 times the memory that you claim anyone should ever need in a smartphone unless they are unreasonable as us "whining" "doom and gloomer" "crying" TC members! This 128MB card ought to have ole' Joe 6-Pack supplied with enough memory until 2013 by P1's rationale.

    It's a little odd how they decided days after releasing the 650 to supply "Joe" with that memory card so quickly if "Joe" has enough already to last him a couple years without any card.

    Oh well, back to my cave where I can work on a little more "venom" to "spit."
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Why do you keep saying that the Treo 650 costs $650 when it is only $599? Am I missing something or is it just plain old exaggeration?

    http://web.palmone.com/products/comm...tegoryId=30025
    Perhaps some people pay taxes, which usually tack on another $50.00 and should be considered as part of the price. (unless you have a way of legally avoiding taxes.)
    Last edited by Joad; 11/26/2004 at 05:23 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  6. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #126  
    The average consumer is going to get that 128mb card and go "wow, what a cool company".
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    The average consumer is going to get that 128mb card and go "wow, what a cool company".
    The average one will never know about this. It's a "ask for a get" kinda situation, remember?

    No one is saying wow...
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    Perhaps some people pay taxes, which usually tack on another $50.00 and should be considered as part of the price. (unless you have a way of legally avoiding taxes.
    When was it customary in the US to talk about prices with taxes? Never heard anyone give the price of something as the price including taxes.

    And, yes. I got my phone from palmOne legally without paying taxes.
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    Perhaps some people pay taxes, which usually tack on another $50.00 and should be considered as part of the price. (unless you have a way of legally avoiding taxes.
    yes, quite a few people can legally avoid paying state sales taxes, by living in places like nevada or oregon.

    duh.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack
    Yea problems like beating earnings eastimate for the last 4 Q by an average of 240%.

    This memory thing only affects 3% of users.

    A real problem is the one RIMM has with that patent lawsuit.


    Come back on Dec 17th and we will talk about the so called problems when Palmone beats the estimates AGAIN!
    You seem to see this whole issue from the perspective of a speculator, NewtonJack. That's great, and I would probably figure PalmOne can sell off enough of these beautiful flashy 650's to make or beat whatever financial targets give stock buyers [smiles].

    However, from the perspective of the "3%" (your conclusion - arrived at how?) who immediately noticed that the 650 memory is inadequate, I feel like we are the canaries in the coal mine for prospective buyers to heed. Even if you can squeeze your internal data into 9-14MB today, will you be able to do it in 3 months..12 months..2 years....?

    By your rationale, if P1 meets your targets, all this talk about the memory is just a "so called problem"? That's the kind of thinking that led PalmOne to think they could sneak by with inadequate memory in the first place: "if they don't catch us, we can still pass this off as the same memory as the T600 and sell tons of 'em."

    Whether PalmOne stock goes up or down is your game. My interest is obtaining a workable upgrade to my Treo 600, which a stunted Treo, a $10 SD card and a promise of vaporware in exchange for nearly $700 of my cash does not seem a good swap for my T600. You can fool some of the people some of the time, but we caught PalmOne early on this one.
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 11/26/2004 at 07:03 PM. Reason: poor choice of language
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    yes, quite a few people can legally avoid paying state sales taxes, by living in places like nevada or oregon.

    duh.
    So anastrophe... does that explain to you why people explain the price of this unit costing more than $599 (which was the point of my reply..."duh")? And correct me if I'm wrong (you probably will if I'm right, too), but if there's no sales tax in Nevada or Oregon, then just how are you "avoiding taxes," as there aren't any to avoid? Kinda like saying that the Treo 650 is free, because you can steal them so "technically" it cost you nothing. There are still a few people living in states other than Delaware, Oregon, Nevada, etc - and we still pay regressive taxes. When taxes add up to $50, that's probably why that poster said he paid $650, not $600. If you don't understand the fact there are other costs involved in purchase other than that "$599" then you must have taken a different form of mathematics.
    Last edited by Joad; 11/26/2004 at 05:35 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    So anastrophe... does that explain to you why people explain the price of this unit costing more than $599 (which was the point of my reply..."duh")? And correct me if I'm wrong (you probably will if I'm right, too), but if there's no sales tax in Nevada or Oregon, then just how are you "avoiding taxes," as there aren't any to avoid? Kinda like saying that the Treo 650 is free, because you can steal them so "technically" it cost you nothing. There are still a few people living in states other than Delaware, Oregon, Nevada, etc - and we still pay regressive taxes. When taxes add up to $50, that's probably why that poster said he paid $650, not $600. If you don't understand the fact there are other costs involved in purchase other than that "$599" then you must have taken a different form of mathematics.
    man, you're a piece of work. let me refresh your memory, with the original quote, since you seem to have lost that small but important data point:

    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    Every Palm PDA from the $199 Tungsten E and up is getting one of these stupid $10 SD cards. Very generous of Palm to include the crippled $650 Treo 650 in the list of PDAs that qualify for the giveaway.
    now, *you* correct *me* if i'm wrong, but $199 is NOT the price of the Tungsten E with taxes, n'est ce pas? In the context of the original quote, it was nothing more than price-pumping for effect.

    sheesh.
    Last edited by anastrophe; 11/26/2004 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  13. #133  
    Sorry if this is redundant, but do we know when this 128mb card will be availiable and how we get it?

    Ken
  14. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1
    Sorry if this is redundant, but do we know when this 128mb card will be availiable and how we get it?
    Make available a free 128MB SD expansion card to Treo 650 purchasers on request to help with memory management until the ROM upgrade becomes available . (Details on this program will be posted on the support site in early December.)
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/494-1.htm
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Why do you keep saying that the Treo 650 costs $650 when it is only $599? Am I missing something or is it just plain old exaggeration?
    You forget a little thing called "tax."

    It actually is a bit of an exaggeration. The charge on my credit card was $641.24. Though the tax could vary by state.
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    good god man, p1 made the statement about the free SD card yesterday afternoon. today's a holiday. you expect them to have the website updated with this happy fun ball overnight?
    Ya missed the point..

    As he pointed out, P1 is already giving out FREE 128mb cards with their other handhelds (including the cheapo $199 one) so it's no big f'n deal for them to give out a free 128 card to treo owners -- making it look like they're doing us a favor. They probably have 10s of thousands of them laying around.. The flagship $600 device should have gotten a free 128mb card in the first place like the other devices..
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Why do you keep saying that the Treo 650 costs $650 when it is only $599? Am I missing something or is it just plain old exaggeration?

    http://web.palmone.com/products/comm...tegoryId=30025
    My local state tax is 7 or 8%, so that's probably where she got the number. While a few places discount the Tungsten E to $180 (making the after-tax price almost $200), yes I was referring to the TE's list price in my original post. Of note, when the GSM versions come out they will probably be $650 -$700 without contract.

    In any event, you (and especially the vaguely tiresome Palm cheerleader Anastrophe) seem to be missing the point of the original post. Then again, based on what I've read you two say elsewhere, that's not surprising. I accept that Palm Apologists will always have a different point of view from those of us with higher standards. It's entirely your right to be happy with substandard equipment. I wish you all the best.

  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Ya missed the point..

    As he pointed out, P1 is already giving out FREE 128mb cards with their other handhelds (including the cheapo $199 one) so it's no big f'n deal for them to give out a free 128 card to treo owners -- making it look like they're doing us a favor. They probably have 10s of thousands of them laying around.. The flagship $600 device should have gotten a free 128mb card in the first place like the other devices..

    You're wasting your breath on this "P.A." And if you keep puffing on them cancer sticks, you'll soon be needing all the breaths you can get.

    Seriously, it's pointless trying to debate with the fanatics. They just get all frothy and end up trying to spray you with their rabid saliva.
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Ya missed the point..

    As he pointed out, P1 is already giving out FREE 128mb cards with their other handhelds (including the cheapo $199 one) so it's no big f'n deal for them to give out a free 128 card to treo owners -- making it look like they're doing us a favor. They probably have 10s of thousands of them laying around.. The flagship $600 device should have gotten a free 128mb card in the first place like the other devices..
    yes, you are correct. i did miss the point. it went straight over my head in fact.

    nevertheless, as the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished. those fluckers at palm! the nerve! giving out free 128MB SD cards to try and make good! i'm going to short their stock tomorrow!
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    You're wasting your breath on this "P.A." And if you keep puffing on them cancer sticks, you'll soon be needing all the breaths you can get.

    Seriously, it's pointless trying to debate with the fanatics. They just get all frothy and end up trying to spray you with their rabid saliva.
    of course, the palm bashers never get rabid and vitriolic. oh my no never.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions