Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 168
  1. #81  
    This is not the right thing to do. I don't care about a crappy 128MB SD card. I want a guarantee from PalmOne that they will give me a free upgrade when the new fixed version of this phone comes out. I can't believe there are apologists for this colossal design blunder by PalmOne. I can't go back from my 650 to my 600, but it''s absolutely ridiculous that I only managed to install half of my apps on it.
  2. #82  
    On a single-SD-slot PDA, I view the SD card as a hard drive. I put as much as I can there and save the internal memory for the things that absolutely have to go there (usually because of dopey developers who haven't gotten with the times and updated their apps to allow for installing to SD card). I buy the biggest SD card I can afford and I don't want to juggle around several SD cards like some kid carrying around a GameBoy and a backpack full of cartridges.

    So as I mentioned in my first post in this thread, this 128MB SD card is of little value to me. The "promise" of a ROM update is no real promise and I suspect that if it ever comes to fruition that it will not be what some of you are hoping for.

    This problem is being addressed because it hit the WWW and hit their stock price. This forum was probably the epicenter of that and, if nothing else, it should serve as a wakeup call for p1 that even if they view the early adopter geeks as a small part of their target market, this userbase can wreak significant havoc in raising issues across the web. Perhaps they'll be a bit more interested in engaging us early on next time.

    In the end, this proposed solution is a marketing move to get the hysteria to die down and get the stock price moving upward again. I suspect that we may never hear another peep out of them about this ROM update and by then the world will have moved on and the mainstream press won't want to waste any space reporting about it as the story will have lost its sizzle.

    Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  3. #83  
    If you read the bloomberg news clip carefully, it doesn't say the stock price has fallen because of the memory problems. It says the stock price has fallen amid memory problems.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by CySurflex
    If you read the bloomberg news clip carefully, it doesn't say the stock price has fallen because of the memory problems. It says the stock price has fallen amid memory problems.
    I am sorry, I don't understand what your point is what exactly?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  5. #85  
    Oh boy! And the angels sing!
    I've been reading (and posting) steadily since I got back from the dc roadshow and still waiting for my 650: many of us at the roadshow pounded P1 developers with tough questions, Greg Sharai, a key designer was cornered by tc members and he took hard blows about keyboard light, memory and wifi, but listened intently to our concerns and even gave me a biz card. During presentation one guy(Joe) said "you guys are probably on Treocentral now saying bulls**t, bulls**t, bulls**t," the place erupted in laughter for they knew to keep it short and to the point. I say this to underline the point that I have been making for a while and that is "We the People have power and if used wisely, thru a great medium like TC can leverage it to satisfy our demands. Since most of us here are palm users, of course we're gonna be optimistic about the Treo, so just chill, lean back and enjoy your turkey. Turkey!! (i'm having tofurkey)
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by mansouan
    I couldn't agree more. If I were a shareholder I'd be screaming for blood. How does it make sense to save $6 and then spend $10-$15 on the memory card...
    Probably only a few dollars each in bulk. Plus they're only giving them out to people who request it, which will be a minority of users.

    ...management's and engineering's time...
    Agreed. Now they have to fix the issue rather than glossing it over with extra memory. But it's probably better that they fix it anyway. (Not better than extra memory, but better than ignoring the issue because they can.)

    ...and frustrating your customer base unneccessarily?
    Again, I'm seeing us as the minority. But as we've just seen, the minority can still have an impact!

    So, my experience is in the enterprise space and maybe I just don't get it, but why does Palm continue to make these bad consumer decisions when it is so obvious to the rest of us. My gripes with Palm (across the product portfolio) listed below:

    o Where's OS 6?
    I remember reading on these boards that when pressed at a roadshow, they gave the impression that OS 6 still isn't ready for prime time. As such, it's probably the right decision because then we'd be complaining about all of its bugs and how they should have waited.

    o What happened to WiFi (it has almost been 2 years since the Tungsten C)?
    Agreed.

    o VGA?
    Their choice was between the 1.3MP camera that had the same low light performance of the 600's, or a VGA camera with good low light performance. Most people have come to agree here that they made the right choice.

    o Audio recording and vibrate on the T5?
    I haven't followed anything on the T5, but it would have made sense to include a voice recording app on the 650.

    o Memory on the Treo 650?
    Agreed. I think someone said on these boards that Peter Skillman thought they made the wrong choice here.
    Last edited by GregV; 11/25/2004 at 10:56 AM.
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    I am sorry, I don't understand what your point is what exactly?

    The stock is being manipulated by short sellers-they own 1 out of 3 palmone shares. They take any so called "bad news" and drive the price down. Their fear is that in 3 weeks when Palmone announces earnings they will be so good that these short sellers will have to buy back those 1 out of 3 shares (currently 15.5 million shares) at a much higher price.
  8. #88  
    **** - the stock is a trader's dream that bounces around like a yo-yo on the slightest hint of news positive or negative.

    BTW - citing existing short ratios and suggesting that this is what's driving DOWN the stock is silly. That existing short seller set would have been what DROVE down the price but literally would have NO EFFECT currently other than to drive UP the price as they cover. If you think that sufficiently massive NEW short sellers have joined the crowd then (1) yes, that would drive down the price but (2) might suggest the massive size of the set tells you something about the stock being shorted!

    But instead, blame what is ALWAYS the mover of stock prices - people entering and exiting long positions.

    And in this case - longs exiting their PLMO stock position.
  9. #89  
    Under Special Offers on the PalmOne web site - free 128MByte cards for PDA buyers.

    -- http://store.palmone.com/shop/index....nav_offers_txt

    Giggle.

    So, let's see...WHAT is PalmOne doing to make this right for the TREO 650 over and above mundane other stuff?

    Ah, yes, promising a fix Real Soon Now!

    Whatta racket!

    (thanks to a post on palminfocenter pointing this out)
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Well BB Connect palmos client will soon be available for the Treo as others have already mentioned. When that happens, why would users stick to outdated RIM hardware when they could have the same BB functionality on a much nicer hardware like the Treo 650?
    One reason might be because blackberry's are bullet proof and ***** proof. A good friend of mine runs the IT department for a small database solutions company. A year ago He setup the owner of the company with a bluetooth clie and bluetooth phone as an on the go email solution. His boss didn't care that much about push versus pull and the clie was rigged to pull emails ever 5 minutes which was good enough, but even though it was all setup for him the owner of the company ended up throwing the clie across his office and opting for a blackberry. He LOVES the blackberry because in the words of my friend "it's ***** proof." As easy as we may all find using a Palm device, and as willing as we may be to put up with occasional soft-reset, and as much as we may love the flexibility of installing apps from the vast Palm library, corporate users find the RIM interface easiest (probably because they're used to it), they find even an occasional crash unacceptable, installing 3rd party apps is frowned upon by many corporate IT departments as a security risk. Not to mention the fact that as nice as the Treo 600/650 form factor is, the blackberry scroll wheel provides killer one-handed operation for email/messaging/contact management which is all most corporate users want. My friend running the IT department had a blackberry and he hated it (for the same reasons I would), but his boss loved it and my friend had to admit it was the right solution for his boss.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack
    The stock is being manipulated by short sellers-they own 1 out of 3 palmone shares. They take any so called "bad news" and drive the price down. Their fear is that in 3 weeks when Palmone announces earnings they will be so good that these short sellers will have to buy back those 1 out of 3 shares (currently 15.5 million shares) at a much higher price.
    Laughing... I want this thing to work as much as anyone here. I love the Treo 600 I own. But the problems are real. You make it seem like they were made up.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Laughing... I want this thing to work as much as anyone here. I love the Treo 600 I own. But the problems are real. You make it seem like they were made up.

    Yea problems like beating earnings eastimate for the last 4 Q by an average of 240%.

    This memory thing only affects 3% of users.

    A real problem is the one RIMM has with that patent lawsuit.


    Come back on Dec 17th and we will talk about the so called problems when Palmone beats the estimates AGAIN!
  13. nunzio's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    Forget about "Joe Average User"! What about CORPORATE BUSINESS USERS??? Isn't that what this thing is marketed to??? People like me with 3,150+ Contacts, 930+ Memos, and lots of Business-Related Applications??? And with PIM data, I think that it can't be stored on the SD Card, No?

    Is Palm trying to sell a PREMIUM-PRICED device to AVERAGE JOES? Bad strategy. AVERAGE JOE LIKES CHEAP-PRICED. And nobody wants PREMIUM-PRICED with SKIMPY-SPECS. Customers are not fools. Deliver value or DIE.
    I have close tp 4000 contacts and several memos that living quit nicely on my T650. I do see this as an important issue but I think P1 will make good and I am able to work quit well now. I think moving apps toan SD card for now (I haven't yet) is not too bad. I see many here are angry but I also see many who seem to always post negative comments. Like any new tech there are + and -. TheT650 IS AN IMPROVEMENT OVER THE T600 and is worth looking at.

    Sure it would have een great to have WiFi and more memory but I think on balence the Treo platform still offers the best user exprience in the smartphone world. It's balance of fom and function still has not been matched.
  14.    #94  
    I see many here are angry but I also see many who seem to always post negative comments.<<


    They are probably paid bashers by the hedge funds to try to keep the share price of Palmone down. What other reason would posters hang aroung a site day and night to post nothing but negative things?
  15. #95  
    So how do we go about getting the SD card?
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack
    I see many here are angry but I also see many who seem to always post negative comments.<<


    They are probably paid bashers by the hedge funds to try to keep the share price of Palmone down. What other reason would posters hang aroung a site day and night to post nothing but negative things?
    particularly those who don't, never have, and never will own a treo, by their own admission.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  17. spotter's Avatar
    Posts
    316 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Ha! This is pretty much exactly what I said they'd do. Smart marketing move on their part. Don't expect a ROM change that truly fixes this any time soon unless it's one that simply removes some built-in apps like RealPlayer or something.

    Scott
    not true. What's the major change in regards to the T5/650? that it's file system is only block addressable (512b) instead of direct.

    Now, what this means to me is that they rewrote their database apps stupidly. such that instead of being able to store multiple records within a single block, or even have a record overlap a block, they went the simple way and just store a record per block.

    It shouldn't be that hard to rewrite the apps to be able to make full use of the block.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    This is not the right thing to do. I don't care about a crappy 128MB SD card. I want a guarantee from PalmOne that they will give me a free upgrade when the new fixed version of this phone comes out. I can't believe there are apologists for this colossal design blunder by PalmOne. I can't go back from my 650 to my 600, but it''s absolutely ridiculous that I only managed to install half of my apps on it.
    soooo, with that free 128mb SD card, you can install the other half. what's the problem?

    let's see, the palmone bashers have maintained, in an absolutist posture, that palmone would

    NEVER acknowledge the problem (wrong)
    IGNORE the problem for months and months (wrong)
    NEVER make any official statement admitting the problem (wrong)
    NEVER offer either a fix or an interim solution (wrong)
    ALWAYS try to screw the end user, while simultaneously ignoring them (wrong)

    but the bashers hold the high-ground, of course. they're beyond reproach. so THEY never acknowledge how wrong they are - they just shift the argument to the aforementioned monday morning quarterbacking - "EVERYBODY knew this would be a problem, it was OBVIOUS before it came out, palmone is a bunch of TWITS and i hate them and i hope they burn in hell, who cares about a crappy offer to fix the problem! too little too late!"

    really boorish.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by nunzio
    I have close tp 4000 contacts and several memos that living quit nicely on my T650.
    no, that's impossible. you're lying. you MUST be doing something wrong. you have a duty to cry foul and blame all that is wrong in the PDA universe on palmone. traitor.

    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  20.    #100  
    let's see, the palmone bashers have maintained, in an absolutist posture, that palmone would

    NEVER acknowledge the problem (wrong)
    IGNORE the problem for months and months (wrong)
    NEVER make any official statement admitting the problem (wrong)
    NEVER offer either a fix or an interim solution (wrong)
    ALWAYS try to screw the end user, while simultaneously ignoring them (wrong)

    but the bashers hold the high-ground, of course. they're beyond reproach. so THEY never acknowledge how wrong they are - they just shift the argument to the aforementioned monday morning quarterbacking - "EVERYBODY knew this would be a problem, it was OBVIOUS before it came out, palmone is a bunch of TWITS and i hate them and i hope they burn in hell, who cares about a crappy offer to fix the problem! too little too late!"

    really boorish.[/QUOTE]


    Well said there man. When this overblown issue blows over, these bashers will come up with another thing to bash.

    One has to ask, why do these people bash? To me the answer is to help keep the SP down.

Posting Permissions