Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG
    Right now it shows me using 7.2m of 14m. Address book has 93 records, Datebook has 112 records, Documents has 19 records (I have no idea what this is - will be checking in a few!), Memo Pad has 11 records (doesn't sound right) and To-Do-List has 3 records. Address book is currently using 14K, Datebook - 6K, Documents - 197K, Memo Pad, 8K and to-do-list = 1k. I've owned a pda running palm os since at least 1997 and I attribute the low numbers to periodic reviews of my contacts to weed out folks i no longer keep in touch with. I'm also pretty good at removing memos once i'm done doing whatever it is I wrote them down to do. I'm guessing for someone like me, the memory isn't going to be a big issue. I'm also amazed at all the crap eating up space on my Tungsten/T that I have never used and most likely will never lose. I could probably gain 4M of space easily once I cleared some of this stuff off. The memory no longer concerns me too much, though I do hope they get this rom fix in place by the time i place my order with vienna channels on the 30th. More of a concern to me are reports of poor voice quality transmissions on the 650. This for me will primarily be a phone with my light pda use...
    This guy said it best:

I've got about 450 (Contacts). I could probably delete 50 without much thought. But one of the advantages of keeping this kind of data in a database is the historical perspective. Just because I don't contact someone today, doesn't mean I won't want to look them up next month, or next year. The ability to answer questions like "Who was that guy I talked to about the wireless security software last year?" or "What was the number of that good looking soccer mom from my son's team last spring?" can be invaluable, even if I haven't talked to the person recently. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=63450
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    It's Apples vs. Oranges.
    IMHO, it's not. It's precisely the market PalmOne is after.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    This guy said it best:

I've got about 450 (Contacts) (snip)
    Of course why worry about 450 contacts when 1500 seems to be ok?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...61&postcount=8
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Of course why worry about 450 contacts when 1500 seems to be ok?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...61&postcount=8
    you keep missing my points. my point there was the "historical perspective" factor.
    The Blackberry sells because it has the KILLER APP - the best REAL TIME EMAIL SOLUTION. That's the VALUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Apples vs. Oranges.

The masses will not pay $650 for a glorified cell phone.
    How about Good Technology? Many believe that it's a better solution than Blackberry. Not to mention that you can choose other real-time mail services like Seven, Visto, Notify, etc with a Treo. With Blackberry, you are locked into their services.

It is not Apples vs. Oranges. Treo (Palm OS) = Open Platform, Blackberry = Proprietary Platform. That's all.

Of course, the Blueberry Connect should be available on Palm OS in the next few months as well.

The masses are already paying up to $600 for a glorified Walkman (iPOD), so $450 (after rebate) for a smartphone is actually a pretty good deal.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    I think 650 will be quite successful with the mainstream business users. The data protection feature of the non-volatile memory will outweight the reduced memory capacity deficiency.
    I only wish the Treo were are rugged as the Blackberry. My RIM 957 was thrown, dropped down about 50 steps on a moving escalator, stepped on, frozen, rained on and never skipped a beat. Never lost its memory either. The Blackberry 7750 I replaced it with last year is equally strong.

3rd party apps have never been terribly popular with the corporate market -- anything that typically appears on a corporate issue PDA is either user installed, or has a 24/7 help line to support the user in the field. Most companies will probably buy a fleet of 650s, install GoodLink and that will be it.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Of course, the Blueberry Connect should be available on Palm OS in the next few months as well.
    And of course, that move in itself should show how serious PalmOne is about wanting a piece of the Blackberry/Blueberry pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    And of course, that move in itself should show how serious PalmOne is about wanting a piece of the Blackberry/Blueberry pie.
    And it is also smart on RIM's part that they realize the true value of their solution is with their email software, not with their hardware.
    P1, nice gesture, but too little too late...

As others have posted, I already have a 512MB SD. What the hell will I do with 128MB? Isn't the idea supposed to be to create a converged device? With offboard memory, P1 has just diverged my applications and databases. Geezzz...how pitiful. Sounds like a bandaid fix to an already broken "smart"phone.

The marketplace will decide whether P1 survives. I for one will not be waiting for the GSM version of the T650.
    Wow, I've been waiting for this day for a long week. Finally all our efforts let us see some light at the end of the tunel. I agree that a 128MB card does not make it up for the 64MB chip. However, what matter here is that they are responding to our claims and complains. We have been heard and they know that we have the power to make the Treo 650 a killer Smartphone or just kill it. (That was kind of harsh )

PalmOne Major KUDOS!!

I'm looking forward to see a good outcome out of this new ROM upgrade.

I can now rest and enjoy my 4 day weekend,

Al
    i'd like to see the ROM upgrade be split... or make it smart onough not to create/mantain two the NEW database formats AND the legacy stuff... why do I have to store CONTACTS twice just incase I want to use a 3rd party product...

I heard a rumour about an early beta of windows95... it ROCKED! new code from the ground up... no memory issues... then at some point they said "OK now put windows 3.1 in it so it wil run all the old apps"... and history records what happened next...
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis
    , I already have a 512MB SD. What the hell will I do with 128MB?
    Note that the article specifically stated PalmOne would only give 128 MB Sd cards to current Treo 650 owners UNTIL there is a Rom update to resolve the NVFS issue! That is, unless you buy a Treo 650 now before the update is released, you won't get the card.

I for one will not be waiting for the GSM version of the T650.
    To bad...cuz hopefully the Rom update will be out by then and you won't have to worry about getting a 128 SD card!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    The Blackberry sells because it has the KILLER APP - the best REAL TIME EMAIL SOLUTION. That's the VALUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Apples vs. Oranges.

You are right they won't pay that much, only early adopters will like the peeps on this board. But many people will spend $369 dollars which is what Amazon is selling them for and shipping starting 12/15. That is $30 cheaper than the T5 also on sale at Amazon. Seems to me the 650 is targeted right at the masses.

I agree with whoever said the average user (even corporate user) will not use up all the memory on the 650. In fact I bet they do not even come close. Palm is not as stupid as some of you think they are. They haven't stayed ahead (well close anyway) of MS for the last 8 years by being stupid. They do know what joblow users habits are.

I for one have been a Palm customer since the first Palm. I have used lots of apps. But have never really come close to using up all the memory on any of the Palms I have owned. I am probably somewhere on the side of advanced but not a power user. At least if Power user means someone who jams up there memory with a bunch of third party apps that are marginally useful.

The average user still just uses contacts, calender, todo, memo. Now that the treo has addded phone, email, browser, as "basic" apps, that is all the avg user will use.

Most people on this board are not avg. users. Most of the people I read on this board are always trying to stretch their devices to just beyond what it is meant to do. If you are one of those people you are almost always going to be unhappy with what Palm delivers.

I suspect most people who get this phone are going to be blown away by what it can do, not what it can't do.
    Grace & Peace,

utey

It's Apples vs. Oranges.

Well BB Connect palmos client will soon be available for the Treo as others have already mentioned. When that happens, why would users stick to outdated RIM hardware when they could have the same BB functionality on a much nicer hardware like the Treo 650?

Plus, the Treo also has the most varied and diverse set of solutions beyond the BB. Plus, the Treo is more than just a 'glorified cellphone'. It is as close to a fully functional pda replacement as there gets without be too clunky. The XDAIII is great pda-phone but its still a pda first. The P910 is nice but its Symbian and there aren't that many good software options for it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    wake up all yoll if it was not for wall street telling p1 it is not nice to treat loyal customers p1 wouldn't give a rat a@@ about us... it only took the street and a few millions to basicaly get sort of an apology...( please exscuse th spelling mistakes engilsh is a second lingo)
    Am I missing something or are we writing all these replies based on ONLY what TreoCentral says? If so, I remember reading on TreoCentral that PalmOne was going to write WiFi drivers for the Treo 650 and you know what people are saying about the drivers. I don't want to be a party pooper but I would like to get some formal PalmOne announcements on this.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    Hurray!

Personally I'm happier about the ROM update than the free 128mb SD card, but it's definitely classy of P1 to offer the card while we're waiting for the ROM update. (I'm waiting for GSM anyway.)

Now as cheap as a 128mb SD may cost P1 I wonder if it's in the neighborhood of the $6 they apparently saved by not giving the 650 64mb in the first place?

I couldn't agree more. If I were a shareholder I'd be screaming for blood. How does it make sense to save $6 and then spend $10-$15 on the memory card, management's and engineering's time, and frustrating your customer base unneccessarily? So, my experience is in the enterprise space and maybe I just don't get it, but why does Palm continue to make these bad consumer decisions when it is so obvious to the rest of us. My gripes with Palm (across the product portfolio) listed below:

o Where's OS 6?
    o What happened to WiFi (it has almost been 2 years since the Tungsten C)?
    o VGA?
    o Audio recording and vibrate on the T5?
    o Memory on the Treo 650?

These guys have got to get a new portfolio management team in place to figure out a roadmap strategy that makes sense for 2005. It feels like they are still executing against a plan that they developed in 2001 and never bothered to revisit/update.
    The posted article is direct from senior palmOne officials (Marlene Somsak, VP Communications) via a prepared statement, in response to the queries we raised on this issue. I hate to say this, but you either trust us, or you don't.

As per the wifi drivers - i think we made it clear in our CTIA coverage that this is an up in the air issue, with ed colligan saying that they will? but others that they won't. Honestly, I don't even know right now.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by mansouan
    maybe I just don't get it, but why does Palm continue to make these bad consumer decisions when it is so obvious to the rest of us.
    there's a well-known term for that: monday morning quarterback.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    I trust you, and I am buying a 650, there is nothing better (for me), and I trust P1 will be fair and equitable. Honestly, I am not paying $599 so that might make a difference. I hope the future for Treo is better than this.