Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    use the 128 MB card as an extra backup card with backup app, in case the device is lost. in the terrible event of a lost device, you can get a new device, pop in card and restore data.
    This seems to be an excellent temporary solution while waiting for the ROM update....

And it appears that the plan is for this "upcoming" ROM update to free up the memory to a considerable degree...

"Work on a system software (ROM) upgrade that will increase memory use efficiency to allow users to recapture most of the NVFS overhead space currently lost to them"

Sounds reasonable enough to me...

All the naysayers are rather quiet...
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    128M SD cards going on ebay for as little as $1 recently. I bought a couple 32M cards on ebay a while back that I've been using as backups (once a week) to keep at home & work. I'll end up using the P1 128M to replace one of those and keep multiple backup versions on it, though I can't say I've ever needed anything other than the most recent. I already have two 1G cards: one for apps & mp3, the other for movies.
    Here is the solution I proposed when all this hullaballoo first broke:

Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    The actual solution should give us a Treo 650 with a proper amount of memory...... For those who have already taken delivery, I think a rebate of $100 is in order, which will cover the cost of ZLauncher or the equivalent, as well as an adequately-sized SD card; these loyal early-adopters should be given the alternative of trade in to the revamped T650 (T655? T650a?) when (not if) it becomes available.
    Here is PalmOne's posted solution:

Quote Originally Posted by PalmOne
    We believe there is ample memory in the Treo 650 for new users to store their contact and appointment information as well as email and other applications. We do recognize, however, that there is a small percentage of Treo 600 owners who have almost filled the memory on their device, and they will likely have a problem upgrading to the Treo 650 because of the reduced effective memory size in the new file system. Fortunately, there is a relatively straightforward solution: Treo 600 owners can move applications and files to an SD card before beginning migration to a Treo 650. This should make the upgrade process go more smoothly.

We understand that this is not an optimal solution for our power users, and palmOne is committed to providing a great experience for all our users. Therefore, we will work to improve the user experience by doing the following:

Work on a system software (ROM) upgrade that will increase memory use efficiency to allow users to recapture most of the NVFS overhead space currently lost to them; and

Make available a free 128MB SD expansion card to Treo 650 purchasers on request to help with memory management until the ROM upgrade becomes available . (Details on this program will be posted on the support site in early December.)

I'll join in the celebration with everyone else; I am very pleased that PalmOne finally came out with the public explanation I had hoped they would. Whether the time frame was incredibly fast or incredibly slow is up to one's point of view.

The interim solution is a little lackluster. A 128 MB card costs only $10; P1 probably gets 'em for $2 in bulk. To execute Silverado's fix, you need Zlauncher, and how much more is that? We aren't quite there, are we?

Well, I feel at least a little vindicated. They ultimately did the right thing. I hope I helped push them to that; actually, I hope they didn't need anyone to push them. Maybe all's well that ends well. I will be watching for the reports of the ROM fix; I hope that will indeed do the trick.

Anyone care to wager on whether they still come out with a 655 or something with 64 MB?????
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    This is great news - and expected.. Hell - I woulnd't be half surprised if the next ROM update is OS 6.... I mean - that's possible isn't it? The phone could technically handle it - and if Palm puts enough pressure on PalmSource - it could be compelted. Wasn't 6.x suppose to fix issues just like this?

I guess I'd settle for a ROM update that, even if it didn't fix the internal NVFS memory issues, just the abillity to run programs and databases off of the SD card completely transparently (as in not needing ZLauncher / PowerRun) would be the best solution. Kind of like what MSMount currently does - just stable

Thoughts?
    Maybe I am the only one... 128mb SD card, big deal, I have a 1gb card and don't want another smaller one, just a phone that works well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the fix, they can keep the card!
    free 128 mb card sounds good to me. it sure would have been easier for them to just throw a 64 mb internal in there though.
    Re: The "Fix":

1. Companies don't do things to be nice. They do things BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO.

2. I don't own a Treo 650, but a 128MB SD Card and a promise of a ROM fix would not be good enough for me. This NVFS RAM was a bad idea.

Do it right from the BEGINNING. Do it right the FIRST TIME. Don't rely on your customers to BETA TEST your products.

(I did own the piece of shiit T5 for a few days, hence my anger)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    Re: The "Fix":

1. Companies don't do things to be nice. They do things BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO.

2. I don't own a Treo 650, but a 128MB SD Card and a promise of a ROM fix would not be good enough for me. This NVFS RAM was a bad idea.

Do it right from the BEGINNING. Do it right the FIRST TIME. Don't rely on your customers to BETA TEST your products.

(I did own the piece of shiit T5 for a few days)

Gekko, I thought you hated the Treo 600!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Gekko, I thought you hated the Treo 600!
    gfunk - I had the Treo 600 from SPRINT and the T5 as well - both for about 48 hours and hated them both. To be fair, my Treo experience was not helped by Sprint's shiitty service/coverage/etc. but in my view, relative to my little Nokia and my T3, the Treo 600 was a poor phone and a poor pda. The Treo might get there someday, but it will be a few generations from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanford
    Maybe I am the only one... 128mb SD card, big deal, I have a 1gb card and don't want another smaller one, just a phone that works well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the fix, they can keep the card!
    You're not alone. I've already got a 1 GB SD card. I bought it as soon as I knew I was getting the Treo 650. I've got a spare 256 MB SD card from my Tunsgsten|T. PalmOne's offer of a 128 MB card is pretty much an empty gesture in my opinion ($1 on ebay, or a whopping $15 at full price). After spending $650 on a Treo with inadequate memory, a 128 MB SD card is supposed to help? It's a nice gesture...but too little too late IMHO.

And their long-term fix is gutting the ROM? Writing more "efficient" code? How about smashing a few of the remaining bugs instead.

The Treo 650, like any device with the new NVFS memory, should have at least 64 MB of memory. I would rather see a plan to upgrade the internal memory in a manner that doesn't void your warranty ... even if there was a small charge (e.g., send in your Treo 650 to PalmOne and for $25-50 they'll upgrade it to 64 or 128 MB).

I love my Treo 650. But it deserves at least 64 MB of onboard memory. Anything less just takes us back to the memory dance of yester-year.
    gfunk - I had the Treo 600 from SPRINT and the T5 as well - both for about 48 hours and hated them both. To be fair, my Treo experience was not helped by Sprint's shiitty service/coverage/etc. but in my view, relative to my little Nokia and my T3, the Treo 600 was a poor phone and a poor pda. The Treo might get there someday, but it will be a few generations from now.
    soooo....you don't own a 600. you don't own a 650. the promised fixes aren't good enough, so it seems you won't be getting a 650.

so why are you here? not being dismissive, i'm just curious why you'd spend time at treocentral.com if you don't own and won't own a treo.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Originally Posted by jasondeno
    "I, for one, will be waiting to apologize and eat crow until AFTER the fix is rolled out. A slick and timely press release about a vaporware solution is not a fix. Something that installs on the device and shows more memory is a fix.

Until that time, I'll be hanging on to my Treo 600. I cannot justify the expense for a blatant step backwards on memory performance."

BEST post I've read on this forum yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    soooo....you don't own a 600. you don't own a 650. the promised fixes aren't good enough, so it seems you won't be getting a 650.

so why are you here? not being dismissive, i'm just curious why you'd spend time at treocentral.com if you don't own and won't own a treo.
    Dear Palm Apologist - Maybe I want to see what all the BUULLLSHIIT is about?

Is that OK?????????
    Is it just me, or does all this just show what a big blunder PalmOne made by not putting 64 Meg onboard in the first place. In less than a week, they admit there is a problem, and offer a solution that is nice, but defeats the whole purpose of having the expansion slot.

What were they thinking of when first planning for the device and during beta testing. I'd think someone at PalmOne should get axed for this blunder. Wouldn't of been so much easier just to do it right in the first place.

Anyways, just seems like a company with poor execution. With their lead in the smartphone narrowing, i'm not sure how much more stumbles they can afford.

But atleast they responded quickly to the problem. Have to give them credit for that.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    After spending $650 on a Treo with inadequate memory, a 128 MB SD card is supposed to help? It's a nice gesture...but too little too late IMHO.
    The SD card is meant to tide you over -- it is not meant to be a solution to the problem. ROM updates take time, and they need to be properly QC'd -- end user flashing is a nightmare and I guarantee someone on TC will end up frying their 650 even after all that testing.

If you're not happy with 32mb, send it back and wait for a 64mb or greater version... there's no point in hanging onto the 650 if you don't like what PalmOne is offering to you at this point. Given the recent news today and the turnaround time on a response, my guess is we'll more than likely see a new Treo with more memory within 6 months anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe

Gekko is a well known old time poster on many PalmOS forums including PIC etc. He's always hanging around and his comments are always interesting to say the least!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Dear Palm Apologist - Maybe I want to see what all the BUULLLSHIIT is about?

Is that OK?????????
    yo, whatever flips your burgers, baby.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Gekko is a well known old time poster on many PalmOS forums including PIC etc. He's always hanging around and his comments are always interesting to say the least!
    fair enough.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Quote Originally Posted by cue79
    This is great news - and expected.. Hell - I woulnd't be half surprised if the next ROM update is OS 6.... I mean - that's possible isn't it? The phone could technically handle it - and if Palm puts enough pressure on PalmSource - it could be compelted. Wasn't 6.x suppose to fix issues just like this?

I guess I'd settle for a ROM update that, even if it didn't fix the internal NVFS memory issues, just the abillity to run programs and databases off of the SD card completely transparently (as in not needing ZLauncher / PowerRun) would be the best solution. Kind of like what MSMount currently does - just stable

Thoughts?
    I dont think they will upgrade to OS 6, that would just cause to many more problems, they will play it safe for now.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast