1.    #1  
    I've been using the 650 I bought directly from Sprint last week until today. I just received my 650 from P1 and transferred everything over to it. Some very noticable differences in the quality feel of the buttons. The volume and side button are stiffer and require more pressure to push them. The 4 main buttons and the apps and menu button are slightly less wobbly. The keyboard buttons require noticably more pressure to depress them. The other keys are +/- on whether it makes any difference, but I like the increased tactile response from the keyboard. My guess is that it's just a random difference between two 650s. But, the differences were so noticable I thought I'd mention to see if anyone else has compared these. Sorry to those who have't received even one yet... it's not my intention to rub salt in the wound
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm heading in the other direction. I bought mine from P1 but am getting a replacement from Sprint because it doesn't recognize SD cards. I have noticed that the 5-way control and the buttons to the left of it are a tiny bit loose. Doesn't effect how the phone handles, but it does make it feel a bit cheap. I'll let folks know here how the two compare when I get the Sprint one.
  3.    #3  
    In comparing my Sprint 650 to my Sprint 600, the 600 buttons definitely feel a bit more solid. But, the P1 650 buttons are pretty similar to the Sprint 650. Strange that things produced on the same assembly line could have such a noticable difference.
    WTF? I knew something was amiss. I thought it was my imagination. Everytime I picked up my Treo 600 it felt like it was just built better than the 650. Now that you have confirmed the inferiorness of the Sprint 600 next to the Palm 600 I am now certain that we have been hood winked. We need some answers from Palm One!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigG65
    WTF? I knew something was amiss. I thought it was my imagination. Everytime I picked up my Treo 600 it felt like it was just built better than the 650. Now that you have confirmed the inferiorness of the Sprint 600 next to the Palm 600 I am now certain that we have been hood winked. We need some answers from Palm One!
    I'm not sure that the differences I notice would cause me to not want the 650 I don't think the differences will have a measurable effect on usability for me. More important, I don't think either of my 650s feel cheap or flimsy, just more and less tactile feel. No worries for me.
    Sounds like they may have already done a hardware rev. Can you do a ##786 on both the Palm and Sprint 650 to see what the hardware revs are?

I got one of the first 600 and it was a hardware rev b. Some people got "a". The "C" rev came out shortly after "B" and I think that was as high as it went on the 600. I just got a replacement 600 from LockLine (refurb) and it is a C and it seems like it is better quality than the B.

Does the Palm seem faster than the Sprint one to in response to user input?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Sounds like they may have already done a hardware rev. Can you do a ##786 on both the Palm and Sprint 650 to see what the hardware revs are?

I got one of the first 600 and it was a hardware rev b. Some people got "a". The "C" rev came out shortly after "B" and I think that was as high as it went on the 600. I just got a replacement 600 from LockLine (refurb) and it is a C and it seems like it is better quality than the B.

Does the Palm seem faster than the Sprint one to in response to user input?
    They are both Hardware Revision A. Whatever the reason for the difference, even if it's random chance, I like the P1 version a bit better
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Remember that the 600 is a solid "1 piece" phone, and the 650 has a removeable backing plate for the battery. This makes the 600 feel a little more "solid" than the 650.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Mine came from sprint... It is revision A

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Which one is better P1 or Sprint ?
    Do the 650s coming direct from P1 have the Sprint logo on the top left or do they say P1?
    Haha, this thread is hilarious. Guys, I'll let you in on a secret: P1 manufactures all of the 650's. That's right, even the ones Sprint sells.

Stop being so paranoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Haha, this thread is hilarious. Guys, I'll let you in on a secret: P1 manufactures all of the 650's. That's right, even the ones Sprint sells.

Stop being so paranoid.
    Exactly.
    Actually HTC manufactures them all. Solectron manufactures all the 600s.
    not necessarily true that all 650s received so fare are all the exactly same: the assembly line will continously be adjusted according to slight manufacturing changes. no product produced after a year is the same as the first outputs, be it in cars, cameras, phones.

if improvements come easy and cheap, even P1 will order HTC to adjust its assembly lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick

Stop being so paranoid.
    While it is true that the manufacturer (HTC) will remain the same for all units, it is also true that HS used the same manufacturer ( not HTC)for all of the 600 units and Rev A was rare, Rev B was what most of the first adopters got, and Rev C came out shortly thereafter and is still made today. Running production changes have happened before with this product and will almost certainly happen with the 650. This is not paranoia, but rather learning from history. PalmOne doesn't make squat, they just subcontract the design out to a manufacturing company who does exactly what they tell them to do.
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 11/25/2004 at 08:41 PM. Reason: language