1.    #1  
    http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...ws&tkr=PLMO:US
    "PalmOne Falls 7.8% on Concern Over New Treo Storage (Update1)
    November 24, 2004 16:25 EST -- Shares of PalmOne Inc., the world's biggest maker of hand-held computers, fell 7.8 percent amid speculation that a new model of its popular Treo mobile phone can't store as much information as the current one."

Will Palm bite the bullet and fix the Treo 650 before many more are sold to end users? I doubt it.

I think they're better off coming up with an update using the Tungsten 5's 256 MB RAM and releasing that as a Treo 650 SE, while ignoring any OS updates/bug fixes. (Palm's sloppy Tungsten 5 OS problems and the "Data Mangler" patch have shown the company can't reliably fix it's own Palm OS 5-related bugs. Palm OS 5 has reached end of line and it's showing. Unless the Cobalt smartphones are more than six months away, the less resources spent on the Treo 650, the better.

Rule # 1 (in lawsuit-happy America): Admit NO wrongdoing™. Ever™.
    They are doing something!

They are actively ignoring the situation.
    No way there will be recall...
    I would not send mine in if they did a recall anyway. I love my 650. If you don't like it, get out of the way and let someone else get it. The Treo is a vast improvement over my SideKickII and H6315.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    They are doing something!

They are actively ignoring the situation.
    Palm just announced that they're going to try to make a kludge to fix the OS inefficiency. And they'll supposedly be giving 128 MB SD cards to anyone that asks. (Wow - and these cards probably cost Palm 5 whole dollars apiece!)

It looks like going with the ultra cheap 32 MB memory has cost Palm a hell of a lot more in bad publicity and lost sales than they could have saved over including adequate memory in the first place.

I don't think Palm's got the brains these days to pull off a proper OS update. Based on the numerous problems we've seen with recent patches from Palm (Tungsten C update, Data Manager patch, Tungsten 5 update) I think I'll be passing on getting the Treo 650. Good luck to those brave souls (sheep?) that still trust that Palm will take care of them.

Way to go Palm!

I wonder if Palm has learned their lesson?
    the next version of the treo will likely be THE one to get. B/c it will most assuredly have more memory (I shudder to think what would happen if it still had 32 mb or 48 mb a year from now) and wifi. Me, I couldn't wait. A year is a long time to wait. I'll be happy and upset if another treo comes out this year. Idiotic of palmone to not include 64 mb of ram. Seriously, jr high school students would not have made tha mistake. It's so unbelievable to include on 32 mb of ram that only palmone could have pulled it off.
    While I'm a long time Zlauncher user, I've been doing a clean install to my 650, rather than just sync over my 600 data. I have 4MB left, but I haven't installed all my old software yet!

I'd be happy to see a ROM update from Palm. Indeed, I'd even trade the non-volatile aspect of the memory for more efficient use of what's there... if that were technically possible.

This is an interesting story to watch unfold.

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    guess they'll, as zen says, offer some memory upgraded 650 SE or however it is called. give it two or three months.
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue
    the next version of the treo...will most assuredly have...wifi.
    IMHO, no.

PLMO is carrier-directed.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue
    the next version of the treo will likely be THE one to get. B/c it will most assuredly have more memory (I shudder to think what would happen if it still had 32 mb or 48 mb a year from now) and wifi. Me, I couldn't wait. A year is a long time to wait. I'll be happy and upset if another treo comes out this year. Idiotic of palmone to not include 64 mb of ram. Seriously, jr high school students would not have made tha mistake. It's so unbelievable to include on 32 mb of ram that only palmone could have pulled it off.

I don't think Palm can keep waiting a year between releases. They're going to fall too far behing in technology + features. And they REALLY need some other Treos in the lineup - a $200 "Treo 250" that's a small, light, regular style phone (5-way pad but no keyboard) that runs Palm OS would probably do well and make Palm less reliant on the Treo 650.

Diversify or die
    Bottom line is that no matter what they build, people will come here and cry about something. Nobody is ever 100% happy with any product. Memory problems and all, I (and many people here) agree that this device is miles ahead of its predacessor.

Of course, I will also buy the next version too.

So yea, it has some problems. But it's successes far outweigh it's problems. I can't wait to see what they do next.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint