Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    November 24, 2004 11:50 EST -- Shares of PalmOne Inc., the world's biggest maker of hand-held computers, fell as much as 9 percent amid speculation a new model of its popular Treo mobile phone can't store as much information.

Delta, DeVry, Efunds, Hexcel, PalmOne, Zapz: U.

Details here:
    http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...ws&tkr=PLMO:US

I guess this is no longer a geeky issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    November 24, 2004 11:50 EST -- Shares of PalmOne Inc., the world's biggest maker of hand-held computers, fell as much as 9 percent amid speculation a new model of its popular Treo mobile phone can't store as much information.

Details here:

This is interesting... Money talks. Lets see what happens...
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    So by trying to save $6 a unit in RAM, they've cost themselves a few million dollars in shareholder value.
    skfny, perfectly stated. that is hitting the nail on the head!

down goes palm ...

sometimes, not usually, but sometimes, the best way for a child to learn not to touch the stove is for the child to be burned by it.

you can tell p1 where they need improvements until you're blue in the face, but you will hear rhetoric in return.

it takes a financial TKO for some companies to wake up and make the necessary competitive changes.

I would think a 10% stock drop should draw their attention to the real shortcomings!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    So by trying to save $6 a unit in RAM, they've cost themselves a few million dollars in shareholder value.
    Uh...48+ million shares by about $3 decline per share so far today (not counting late yesterday afternoon)

Yes, a few million dollars in shareholder value...
    I'd love to be listening to a live audio feed from inside Palm HQ today..
    Some heads should roll at PalmOne. Will we hear a corporate response to address the memory issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Uh...48+ million shares by about $3 decline per share so far today (not counting late yesterday afternoon)

Yes, a few million dollars in shareholder value...
    Aren't they up something like $4 in the last week or so though? I'm not trying to be wise or anything, but basically couldn't have been due for a drop anyway. Kind of like an easy come, easy go, sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Aren't they up something like $4 in the last week or so though? I'm not trying to be wise or anything, but basically couldn't have been due for a drop anyway. Kind of like an easy come, easy go, sort of thing.
    It erased the gains that started last Wednesday. They are where they were last Tuesday.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Yes, in fact I fundamentally believe in this post:

-- http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action...sid=1607137051

though I did not make it!
    ROTFLMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Yes, in fact I fundamentally believe in this post:

-- http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action...sid=1607137051

though I did not make it!
    So let's see, us early adopters are gonna be screwed when Palm releases a rev. B 650 with, say 256MB of memory. I can see me trying to eBay my 650 in the future. 'oh, it's one of the old rev. A models...I'll give you $150 less then.'

Makes it seem unfair that the biggest fans (i.e. the 1st 650 owners) are gonna inevetibaly (sp, on Treo now) get shafted when they release a version with more memory. That's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas

Details here:

The other shoe has dropped.

This is exactly wha you do not want to see in the news, esp about your new, flagship product.

I'm sure all the yes-men within F1 are spinning a song to the Execs inside, but the the truth is they goofed it bigtime.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    So let's see, us early adopters are gonna be screwed when Palm releases a rev. B 650 with, say 256MB of memory. I can see me trying to eBay my 650 in the future. 'oh, it's one of the old rev. A models...I'll give you $150 less then.'

Makes it seem unfair that the biggest fans (i.e. the 1st 650 owners) are gonna inevetibaly (sp, on Treo now) get shafted when they release a version with more memory. That's awesome.
    I don't believe anyone will get shafted. All Treo 650 owners who don't like their current memory setup can return them for a full refund. If you knowingly keep a "difficient" device, then you are the one doing the shafting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick

If you're so worried, just return the phone and wait until all the problems are fixed. Anyone knowing Palm's history that rushes out and buys a new model as soon as it's released doesn't deserve much sympathy. Those of us with brains wait until things are sorted out BEFORE we spend our money. Sorry, but I don't see where you have a legitimate beef here.
    Hmmm..

Lets see what this little blunder cost these nice folks.... today alone:

TELL ME THEY ARENT GOING TO REACT TO THIS!

BRING ON THE 64+ Chips!

• HAWKINS, JEFFREY C
      2,803,706 Shares
      Today's Loss: $8,411,118
    • DUBINSKY, DONNA L.
      1,671,621 Shares
      Today's Loss: $5,014,863
    • DOERR, JOHN L.
      1,339,273 Shares
      Today's Loss: $4,017,819
    • COLLIGAN, EDWARD T.
      106,694 Shares
      Today's Loss: $320,082
    • BRADLEY, RICHARD TODD
      31,831 Shares
      Today's Loss: $95,493
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    If you're so worried, just return the phone and wait until all the problems are fixed. Anyone knowing Palm's history that rushes out and buys a new model as soon as it's released doesn't deserve much sympathy. Those of us with brains wait until things are sorted out BEFORE we spend our money. Sorry, but I don't see where you have a legitimate beef here.
    i take it you're still plugging along on that old Pentium I, running windows 95, waiting for all the bugs to be worked out of the current technology, in that case.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    Anyone knowing Palm's history that rushes out and buys a new model as soon as it's released doesn't deserve much sympathy.
    ESPECIALLY when PalmOne itself said outright:

== "...Products and services as sophisticated as ours are likely to contain
    == undetected errors or defects, especially when first introduced or when
    == new models or versions are released..."

-- http://secfilings.nasdaq.com/filingF...F1%2F2004&pdf=

Just past half-way through the doc - search for "epidemic failure clauses" and you'll find it in the next paragraph!
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/24/2004 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added a space
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed
    Hmmm..

BRING ON THE 64+ Chips!

• HAWKINS, JEFFREY C
      2,803,706 Shares
    • DUBINSKY, DONNA L.
      1,671,621 Shares
    • DOERR, JOHN L.
      1,339,273 Shares
    • COLLIGAN, EDWARD T.
      106,694 Shares
    • BRADLEY, RICHARD TODD
      31,831 Shares

since last week's gains were about the same as this week's losses, i hardly expect they'll be jumping off the roof at palmone headquarters.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed
    Hmmm..

BRING ON THE 64+ Chips!

• HAWKINS, JEFFREY C
      2,803,706 Shares
    • DUBINSKY, DONNA L.
      1,671,621 Shares
    • DOERR, JOHN L.
      1,339,273 Shares
    • COLLIGAN, EDWARD T.
      106,694 Shares
    • BRADLEY, RICHARD TODD
      31,831 Shares
    They are probably the ones who sold today, dropping the price, when they realized that nothing could be done about the memory situation.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast