Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    since last week's gains were about the same as this week's losses, i hardly expect they'll be jumping off the roof at palmone headquarters.
    not so..... the gains were on product expectation....

the negative feedback almost always has more staying power/downward pricing pressure than positive expectations do.

ie... once its out and flawed its harder to make back those gains at least in the near term
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed
    not so..... the gains were on product expectation....

the negative feedback almost always has more staying power/downward pricing pressure than positive expectations do.

ie... once its out and flawed its harder to make back those gains at least in the near term
    only time will tell.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Market as a whole has done well in November, now is not the time you want your stock going down significantly, even if it was after a build up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    If you're so worried, just return the phone and wait until all the problems are fixed. Anyone knowing Palm's history that rushes out and buys a new model as soon as it's released doesn't deserve much sympathy. Those of us with brains wait until things are sorted out BEFORE we spend our money. Sorry, but I don't see where you have a legitimate beef here.
    Ha. I'm not looking for sympathy. I willingly shelled out $599 plux tax, shipping, etc. I am no victim, and I recognize that.

My point is if and when (likely soon if they do) P1 releases a "revised" 650 with more memory, a better microphone, dimming keypad, etc, etc, I will certainly have a right to feel shafted. Just because the 650 is a new product doesn't mean I should be forced to wait because there might be issues with the unit. That's what testing if for. It went on sale, I purchased it. P1 has a duty to ensure their products are ready for general use. Releasing it to "beta testers" (i.e. consumers who shelled out $$$$$) is bs. I shouldn't be punished for buying the device when it went on sale, only to see a better one released weeks later with improved specs at the same price-point.

You have a point and I have a point. This will turn into an endless tit for tat but you see my POV, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    They are probably the ones who sold today, dropping the price, when they realized that nothing could be done about the memory situation.
    Colligan sold 3000 yesterday, Hawkins 7000+. Or to put it another way, about $100,000 and $250,000 each - not a bad chunk of change to get on a weekly basis, eh? (especially taxed as a longterm capital gain!)

=======

Apologies - due to her late filing I left off Dubinsky, who just sold 6000 shares herself - about $200,000 for her, too, plus or minus!
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/24/2004 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added Dubinsky addendum
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Ha. I'm not looking for sympathy. I willingly shelled out $599 plux tax, shipping, etc. I am no victim, and I recognize that.

My point is if and when (likely soon if they do) P1 releases a "revised" 650 with more memory, a better microphone, dimming keypad, etc, etc, I will certainly have a right to feel shafted. Just because the 650 is a new product doesn't mean I should be forced to wait because there might be issues with the unit. That's what testing if for. It went on sale, I purchased it. P1 has a duty to ensure their products are ready for general use. Releasing it to "beta testers" (i.e. consumers who shelled out $$$$$) is bs. I shouldn't be punished for buying the device when it went on sale, only to see a better one released weeks later with improved specs at the same price-point.

You have a point and I have a point. This will turn into an endless tit for tat but you see my POV, right?
    if palm really were to release a 'fixed' 650, with more memory, a few weeks or months after release of the original 650, owners would have a reasonable claim that they should be compensated, either with a free 'upgrade', or cost of shipping upgrade, or something. and i'd be surprised if they didn't offer somethign like that. release of a fixed/updated product that soon after release of the original is de facto admission of a defect.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    The market almost always over-reacts in either direction. You haven't lost or gained anything till you sell. It is just paper-loss.

Think long term, and these short-term volatilities really don't mean that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    November 24, 2004 11:50 EST -- Shares of PalmOne Inc., the world's biggest maker of hand-held computers, fell as much as 9 percent amid speculation a new model of its popular Treo mobile phone can't store as much information.

Delta, DeVry, Efunds, Hexcel, PalmOne, Zapz: U.

Details here:
    http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...ws&tkr=PLMO:US

I guess this is no longer a geeky issue.
    PalmOne Falls 7.8% on Concern Over New Treo Storage (Update1)
    November 24, 2004 16:25 EST -- Shares of PalmOne Inc., the world's biggest maker of hand-held computers, fell 7.8 percent amid speculation that a new model of its popular Treo mobile phone can't store as much information as the current one.

A couple of observations:

1) The posters at Treocentral have started a tidal wave. Initially our concerns were picked up just by other Palm/tech sites, but now even mainstream media is aware of Palm's screwups.

2) Palm can ignore a bunch of early adopter geeks, but they have to act IMMEDIATELY when the Treocentral poster opinions manage to be picked up by the mainstream users. Every negative article is probably costing Palm tens of thousands of $ in lost sales. Will Palm do the right thing and recall the Treo 650 before it's too late? Probably not.

3) Whoever spec'ed 32 MB RAM for a top of the line SMARTPHONE in almost 2005 should be fired. Period. Rationalize and rely on focus groups all you want, but if a $650 phone is selling with hardware that belongs on a $250 phone, Palm's got problems.

4) Palm can't afford too many more missteps. They aren't the only game in town these days.
    i take it you're still plugging along on that old Pentium I, running windows 95, waiting for all the bugs to be worked out of the current technology, in that case.

No, but I waited for the final (best) version of Win 95 (OSR2) and used it for years before upgrading to the final (best) version of Win 98 (SE). I still use Win 98 SE, having wisely ignored the pathetic Win Me and the current rage: Win XP. Funny how I've always had pretty stable systems, great peripheral compatibility and almost zero software problems compared to the early adopters.

Don't dance on the cutting edge unless you are prepared to bleed™

Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    ESPECIALLY when PalmOne itself said outright:

== "...Products and services as sophisticated as ours are likely to contain
    == undetected errors or defects, especially when first introduced or when
    == new models or versions are released..."

-- http://secfilings.nasdaq.com/filingF...F1%2F2004&pdf=

Just past half-way through the doc - search for "epidemic failure clauses" and you'll find it in the next paragraph!
    And ESPECIALLY when Palm's quality control and engineering are now clearly second rate.

Don't dance on the cutting edge unless you are prepared to bleed™

Don't release outdated hardware unless you are prepared to lose market value and enrage geeks and investors alike.

/joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick

Of course I see your point of view. There's NO excuse for releasing crappy goods with significant bugs that are well-known to the manufacturer. While it's not reasonable to expect complex electronics and programs to be "perfect", more and more we're seeing these things being built to a level that is deemed "good enough" just to save money on development and to avoid being late to market. I have little respect for companies that use customers as beta testers, but a LOT of companies are doing that these days. Knowing that, I vote with my wallet and refuse to play that game*. If everyone else did the same, companies would quickly "wise up", but prices would probably also quickly "rise up".

(*Except when the technolust center of my brain takes over like last October when I bought one of the first Treo 600 released. Dumb move...)
    if palm really were to release a 'fixed' 650, with more memory, a few weeks or months after release of the original 650, owners would have a reasonable claim that they should be compensated, either with a free 'upgrade', or cost of shipping upgrade, or something. and i'd be surprised if they didn't offer somethign like that. release of a fixed/updated product that soon after release of the original is de facto admission of a defect.

The Treo 600 was a much worse smartphone than the 650 and Palm never compensated us for our early adaptor/beta tester headaches. (Review posts from last year at Treocentral for horror stories galore!)

Palm didn't do much for people with crappy Tungsten T, T-2, T-3, or E (3 month warranty - very slick, Palm!) either. Why should the Treo 650 be any different?
    Just as the stock rose on speculation, it has now dropped on speculation. The next stock move will be based on actual sales as the mainstream vendors start selling the product. If sales are weaker than projections, the stock will drop again, and vice versa if sales are strong.

I owned a 300, then a 600, and have a 650 on order. I've loved both previous devices, and seen a hundred dropped jaws from stunned observers of my treo in the last two years. "That thing plays music/plays videos/appointments/surfs the web/does email/AND is a phone?"

Zen is right that you shouldn't dance on the cutting edge unless you're prepared to bleed. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Clue
    The Treo 600 was a much worse smartphone than the 650 and Palm never compensated us for our early adaptor/beta tester headaches. (Review posts from last year at Treocentral for horror stories galore!)

Palm didn't do much for people with crappy Tungsten T, T-2, T-3, or E (3 month warranty - very slick, Palm!) either. Why should the Treo 650 be any different?
    Forgive me for not wanting to dig through last year's posts, but did HS/P1 make any physical changes to the 600 line outside of Software/Firmware updates? So what your saying is the first batch is different (physically) than the majority of 600's on the market today?

you must have missed the part of what i wrote where i said *if palm really were to release a 'fixed' 650, with more memory, a few weeks or months after release of the original 650,*

did palm release a fixed 600 a few weeks or months after the release of the original 600? no?

there you go.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Can he be talking about us...nerds? The memory problem IS very serious
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts