1.    #1  
    I see that a couple of million viewers use this forum so as a somewhat happy user of a Treo 600, I am debating on whether to pony up and spring for the 650. What are some reasons NOT to buy one? For those of you that have tried them or for those that know about their features, what would be some reasons that I should wait. I don't want to buy one only to find out there are some problems that everyone else knows about but me and having known that I would have waited until they fix the problems.

Thanks
    I am having some reception and choppyness issues on my phone. People sounds perfect to me but people have said that I sound choppy on the phone. I'd say if you are already a Sprint customer, then do it, but if not, do not switch. I do have 14 days to return it and am ordering a return label well in advance just in case I want to do so.
    1) None
    2) If you already own one
    Number 1 Reason not to own one.....Because I'm on the VZW network and they're not offering them! Besides that, I would definately have one.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmoskowitz
    I am having some reception and choppyness issues on my phone. People sounds perfect to me but people have said that I sound choppy on the phone. I'd say if you are already a Sprint customer, then do it, but if not, do not switch. I do have 14 days to return it and am ordering a return label well in advance just in case I want to do so.
    Thanks for your feedback. I am a Sprint customer. Are you saying that if I am currently with Sprint, that you WOULD suggest upgrading phones?

Also, have you gotten your reception issues fixed?
    I switched to Sprint from VZW with my 650 and have been pretty happy with the coverage where I live (DC area).

Don't get a 650 if you are totally happy with your 600. I've never used a 600, so keep that in mind. However, the biggest pros for the 650 (IMO) are the screen and keyboard. I don't know if those two features warrant the cost difference for you to upgrade. I was coming from a seperate cell phone and PDA, so the switch provided more benefits for my situation.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    To save you reading a lot of messages, which I've done over the past few days:

If you:
    Don't have a lot of large third party applications;
    Don't travel a lot;
    Can tolerate questionable outgoing voice quality;
    Don't mind experimenting and being experimented on;

You will LOVE the 650.

The keyboard, display and camera are all MUCH better and worth the upgrade for sure if you don't have the above needs (and maybe if you do, if you're willing to tolerate some inconveniences and expenses).

If you have a lot of third party applications, plan to spend a lot of time (and perhaps) money managing getting them loaded onto the 650. You may find that some won't work at all. So far I've invested at least 60 hours and a few hundred dollars, and my 650 is now about 50% as functional as my 600 was.

If you travel a lot, you'll need to purchase all new hardware accessories: travel charger, USB cable (which doesn't also charge, unfortunately), vehicle charger, etc. The power port is not compatible. If you like having a cradle at home and at work, you'll need to buy two new cradles.

I have had several complaints about the voice quality to people on the other end. There have also been numerous postings in these boards about it. I really don't care; I just repeat myself.

And finally, it feels like they didn't really finish this thing. Bluetooth seems iffy, and the headsets all suck, although that's not Palm's fault. The Calendar app is a step backward from the 600, as is the audio player, although the browser and built in email are improved.

Bottom line: it depends on your own personal situation and what you need and are willing to tolerate. I assume I'm provoking another religious war between those who insist that the upgrade is mandatory and those who demand a boycott of Palm because of this device, but it seems to me that it's really a personal choice. I've done the upgrade, paid the money, spent the time, and had I known in advance I wouldn't have done it yet. I expect Palm will fix the problems before long, and I wish I would have waited.
    If I were you, I would disregard this board entirely. The 650 is a fantastic phone. I upgraded from the 600. The clarity on this one has been just as good, no decrease, no increase in clarity. I have found a notable improvement on signal strength. I am in one of those buildings where you have to hold your head just right to take a call and it would cut off a lot before. Fortunately, I have an office phone but I am able to take calls now if necessary without getting cut off. There are dialing delays - whoopee. The largest problem is the lack of space to applications that everyone has mentioned. If you only have a few add ons, good to go. It is a must still to get an SD card. I recommend 512MB which is plenty. If you are a power user geek you will not be happy. If you are a normal phone user and you were pretty happy with the 600 - GET THIS PHONE.

This is a great place to learn things but is largely a place to b'tch and moan. I love the phone and even the 600, the Samsung I300, and I330 all had glitches, occasional reboots with conflicting apps, etc. Live and learn.

Enjoy.

Eric