Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...this is stamped on a small white tag attached to a 4" black cord included in the Sprint 650 box. It has what looks to be a Nokia-like small female adapter on one end, and the standard Treo650 male plug on the other. I don't see any AC adapters for sale for the 650 and would like one for home use. I wnet to the Sprint store and they are so clueless about what an amp is, that I could have easily walked out of there with an adapter that will fry my 650. I guess that makes me clueless too. Can anyone help? TIA
    A little out of my league here, but the AC adapter indicates output of 5.2V and 1.0A

I would assume this means 5.2 volts 1.0 amps - probably what 1A means on the cord.

I have an igo and would love for someone to figure out what this means so I could get a tip that I could plug the cord into.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
  3.    #3  
    Maybe we should be looking at the PalmOne store, not Sprint??
    mhorts
    I have a samsung car charger that is rated at 800 ma. Translation 0.8amps. I have every intention of using this when the need arises. I have not tried it yet, but as soon as I do. I will let you know.

Unless the IGO puts out 1amp or very very close to it, I would not use it. I don't know if you can change the output on the IGO but just changing connector would not be enough IMHO.
    I think it fits the standard chargers that ship with all of the recent Sprint phones. I have used my LGVI5225 charger with this adapter for the last week and have had no problems whatsoever. (So far....YMMV)
    Just read the voltage on your AC adapter. I own 2 samsung phones, the n400, and a680. On the bottom of the plug for both, it has ***= 1A (*being whatever number in ohms), and both chargers work on my 650 with the adapter perfectly, so I assume that all Samsung chargers will work, as long as it has 1A on the plug.
    I wonder if it will work with the charger that came with my Sanyo 8200? If so, this would be great news.
    For those that use Igo to charge mutltiple devices use the adapter dongle with the Treo 650 and get the Igo A00 tip from Radion Shack. I just picked mine up and it works. The A00 tip iis the universal Sprint adapter tip and may be in short supply in some RS stores.
  9.    #9  
    Great, thanks everyone for your help!
    mhorts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    For those that use Igo to charge mutltiple devices use the adapter dongle with the Treo 650 and get the Igo A00 tip from Radion Shack. I just picked mine up and it works.
    Thanks for the info!
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
    As a Radio Shack employee, who is waiting on his 650, let me tell you that I BELIEVE the A19 should also work. It is the tip listed for the Tungsten T5 and when I called iGo they said that was the tip they would market for the 650. I didn't believe the 650 HAD a place for the barrel-type connector A00, but I could be wrong, not having physically seen a 650 yet. Still, the iGo folks have NEVER steered me wrong, so I'd go with the A19. I'll let you know as soon as I get mine (next week, I worked a deal with my rep).
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I used my 800ma car charger from sprint samsung all the way to SLC, and it worked fine
    To clear things up a bit.

The 650 comes with an adapter so that the old sprint universal chargers can be used with the 650. This charger type works with most of the recent sanyo and samsung phones. The receptical on the 650 is not compatable with the sprint universal charger that is why you need the adapter, which comes included with the 650 - keeping their old chargers "universal"

The phone requires 5.2 volts with charger with 1 amp capacity. Amps = current if you have a charger with significantly less than 1 amp capacity you could overheat and possibly damage the charger. You can use a 5.2 volt charger that is 2 amps for example but not one with .4 amps (it may work but it may fail or worse become a fire hazzard). You CANNOT use a charger with greater than 5.2 volts or you risk dammaging the 650.

It seems that the "universal" chargers that sprint shipped are 0.8 amps which is less than the charger shipped with the 650 but 0.8 = 800 ma or 80% of the capacity of the included charger may be okay with the 650. Someone will need to get a specification for required current from P1 or perhaps it is published in the specifications for the 650. (my guess is that since they included the adapter they intended people to use it with the universal chargers - and it would have been really stupid if this presented a hazzard. However I have seen dumber decesions made with regards to the 650 - like 32mb NVFS memory with 512kb blocks :-) so check first).
    My Sanyo 5500 charger says .75A. I used it. Think I fried my 650 already? I'll tell ya, it will be nice only having to carry one charger (and a teeny dongle) on the road.

D.C.
    As I understand the explanation above... if the amps are to low you risk damaging the adapter & possible fire hazard. Its the wrong volts that can fry the 650.

please correct if I'm wrong
    So a Samsung charger whos output is 5.0V @ 1 Amp will work fine?
    Anybody else have luck with the adapter?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    As I understand the explanation above... if the amps are to low you risk damaging the adapter & possible fire hazard. Its the wrong volts that can fry the 650.

please correct if I'm wrong
    Gentlemen. I work with avionics for the space shuttle. Volts and amps both matter. But you guys have things backwards.

The volts need to be correct for the battery!!! I have not looked at my charger, but 5.2vdc as stated above on this thread is probably right off of the charger.

The amps can be anything below the 1 amp rating of the battery charging circuit! If you charge above the 1 amp rating you can over heat the batt. If you charge at too low a amperage it will take longer to charge. If the device is consuming more power than your low amp (current) charger then the battery will not be charged but will continue to discharge.

The usb port does not put out 1 amp, but does charge the battery. Just slower. And the usb voltage is at or just above 5 volts.

The space shuttles avionics are not as advanced as my TREO 650!!
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    "uh...I was told there would be no math" I'm not sure about volts or amps but what I do know is that Igo's A15 tip powers (and charges) my 650 (with the Sprint rat-tail).
    Are you sure? Well, I guess you are since its working, but you still have to use the adapter from Sprint? I guess that's okay, but when I get mine this Friday I'm going to test the A19 iGo recomended. I don't want to carry some "dongle" around if I don't have to!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast