Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Awesome job. The new file installs perfectly during a hotsync.
  2.    #42  
    It works now! But one request: can I have the stock Treo splash screen back as well as the reel to reel tape instead of envelope for voicemail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    Thanks TV Billy, I Was just wanting the OEM SPlash Screen, not the Sprint one. It's the Default one, it's a white screen, with an orange horizontal band about 2/3 of the way down, with the Treo and it has it's shadow behind it and Radio on, there are green waves come from it. For Radio off, it's the same, minus hte waves. I found it when the version of Phone_Logo I used on my 600 was on my 650 and I loaded it. Funny, with the Phone-Logo I had, I had the call duration, it used the defualt splash, not the one in the Phone_logo file or the Sprint one, and of course, no ## commands worked. Oh yea, it also replaced the Voice Mail envelope on the #1 dial pad, back to the reel.
    The overlay file (in this case, the Phone_SPCS.prc in ROM or the Phone_SPCS+.prc that I made in RAM) will override resources in the main application (in this case, the Phone.prc file in ROM).

When you loaded the old Phone_LOGO.prc file, it over rode the Phone_SPCS.prc file in ROM. Only the old Phone_LOGO.prc file has NO resources in it (as I recall), so it not only added nothing, but it also prevented the resources in Phone_SPCS.prc from overriding the corresponding resources in the Phone.prc application. Hence you saw the generic Palm connecting and disconnecting screens instead of the Sprint versions, and you also saw the reel-to-reel icon instead of the envelope icon, because they are in the Phone.prc file. You also lost the ability to use the ## commands, because that function is turned on by a particular resource in the overlay file (either the supplied Phone_SPCS.prc in ROM, or my Phone_SPCS+.prc you load into RAM; this resource is not in the Phone_LOGO.prc file though).

So with a resource editor (either on the palm itself, or your Mac or PC), you can create a custom Phone_SPCS++.prc file with whatever graphics and functions you want. You can extract the two graphics for the generic Palm connecting and disconnecting screens from Phone.prc in ROM, and then use them to replace the Sprint connecting and disconnecting graphics in the Phone_SPCS+.prc I made. You could probably save a step and just remove the two Sprint connecting and disconnecting graphics from the Phone_SPCS+.prc file I made, and you'd then see the Palm graphics you want. You can also change the order of the "Call Log" and "Dial Pad" items in the phone pop-up menu if you want to (if the T650 phone application still has the pop-up menu; I don't know since I don't have one yet).

If you read all the AQUA threads, there is a great deal of information on how to do this yourself. As I mentioned, I will be doing new AQUA button overlays for the T650 when I get mine. And the T650 and T600 phone overlays are different. Not just different items (which there are), but the bit depth and size of graphics are different as well.

Oh, and if you are fooling around with this, the resource needed in the overlay file for the Sprint to enable ## funtionality is the 'tSTR' resource ID number 9919. It should contain 3 hex bytes 23 23 00. (That's a # a # and a null). You should probably work with my Phone_SPCS+.prc file and modify it, rather than starting from fresh, as it already has all the resources you need there.

And remember, there can only be one active overlay file at a time, even if they have different names! That means you can not use my Phone_SPCS+.prc overlay file AND one of your creation at the same time. All the modifications have to be incorporated into a single overlay file.

Bill S
    Quote Originally Posted by tvBilly
    The overlay file (in this case, the Phone_SPCS.prc in ROM or the Phone_SPCS+.prc that I made in RAM) will override resources in the main application (in this case, the Phone.prc file in ROM).

When you loaded the old Phone_LOGO.prc file, it over rode the Phone_SPCS.prc file in ROM. Only the old Phone_LOGO.prc file has NO resources in it (as I recall), so it not only added nothing, but it also prevented the resources in Phone_SPCS.prc from overriding the corresponding resources in the Phone.prc application. Hence you saw the generic Palm connecting and disconnecting screens instead of the Sprint versions, and you also saw the reel-to-reel icon instead of the envelope icon, because they are in the Phone.prc file. You also lost the ability to use the ## commands, because that function is turned on by a particular resource in the overlay file (either the supplied Phone_SPCS.prc in ROM, or my Phone_SPCS+.prc you load into RAM; this resource is not in the Phone_LOGO.prc file though).

So with a resource editor (either on the palm itself, or your Mac or PC), you can create a custom Phone_SPCS++.prc file with whatever graphics and functions you want. You can extract the two graphics for the generic Palm connecting and disconnecting screens from Phone.prc in ROM, and then use them to replace the Sprint connecting and disconnecting graphics in the Phone_SPCS+.prc I made. You could probably save a step and just remove the two Sprint connecting and disconnecting graphics from the Phone_SPCS+.prc file I made, and you'd then see the Palm graphics you want. You can also change the order of the "Call Log" and "Dial Pad" items in the phone pop-up menu if you want to (if the T650 phone application still has the pop-up menu; I don't know since I don't have one yet).

If you read all the AQUA threads, there is a great deal of information on how to do this yourself. As I mentioned, I will be doing new AQUA button overlays for the T650 when I get mine. And the T650 and T600 phone overlays are different. Not just different items (which there are), but the bit depth and size of graphics are different as well.

Oh, and if you are fooling around with this, the resource needed in the overlay file for the Sprint to enable ## funtionality is the 'tSTR' resource ID number 9919. It should contain 3 hex bytes 23 23 00. (That's a # a # and a null). You should probably work with my Phone_SPCS+.prc file and modify it, rather than starting from fresh, as it already has all the resources you need there.

And remember, there can only be one active overlay file at a time, even if they have different names! That means you can not use my Phone_SPCS+.prc overlay file AND one of your creation at the same time. All the modifications have to be incorporated into a single overlay file.

Bill S
    Thanks, I'll have to look into that thread and try to figure all that out.
    It's about time I jump into the code I guess....

So make a custom Phone_SPCS file, and leave out the VM icon, call info and Radio on/off, as to force the Treo to use the default ones, then I can look at keeping/leaving the ## alone
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 11/28/2004 at 10:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Does any one know of another .prc editor to use insted of "PRCEdit"? Every time I try to open the splashscreen .bmps it gives me an error and closes the program???
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Great job! Thank you so much!
    For those of you who have the old Phone_LOGO.prc file installed, you should remove it before installing the new Phone_SPCS+.prc file. Having both installed is not good; only one will be recognized, and it's impossible to tell which one. Only ONE overlay file can be used at a time. All modifications must be in this one overlay file, not in multiple overlay files. It doesn't matter if the filenames are different, multiple overlay files at the same time just won't work!
    How do I remove the old Phone_LOGO.prc file?
    Try the free fileZ utility program to delete the Phone_LOGO.prc file.

Bill S
    Try the free fileZ utility program to delete the Phone_LOGO.prc file.

Bill S
    Hey...I just figured this out from looking at one of your other posts to another thread...

Thanks for the quick reply and all your good posts on the boards!
    Bill, it seems like this hack removes my GPS indicator after I install it. Also, does it slow down the response time between hitting the phone button when highlighting a call in the call log, and having the phone actually dial it?

Thanks,

Tony
    Another effect is that pressing the green call button multiple times in order to redial a number no longer works. Is it possible to add this back in?
    Can any tell me how to RESET the TREO 650??
    It's pretty hard for me to troubleshoot this ("this hack removes my GPS indicator" and "pressing the green call button multiple times in order to redial a number no longer works"), since I don't have a Treo650 yet, and when I do get one, it won't be the Sprint version.

All I did is take the overlay file from ROM and change 1 bit in a preference resource, which controls the display of the Call Duration field. I have no idea why this has the two effects you mention above, and whether it's due to the overlay itself, or the single change I made to it. You can temporarily remove the overlay and see if the problems go away, and maybe some others can check and see if they have the same problem after installing the overlay.

Bill S
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    ... "pressing the green call button multiple times in order to redial a number no longer works"....
    maybe some others can check and see if they have the same problem after installing the overlay.
    My multiple press method is working fine:

1. press green phone button to get to phone app
    2. press green phone button to bring up call log (default highlight is last call)
    3. press green phone button to select highlighted number and connect call.

Per pg. 51 of the manual, the redial via holding down the green phone button, only works if you're already in the phone app. For me this usually produces a rapid-fire series of click noises (0.5-1 second), then it does the redial.

ERic
    When I perform step 2, I do not get the call log, but instead just reloads the phone app. Could something have happened to the phone app on my device? What can I do to restore this functionality?
    I have this phone logo installed and I get the list on the second phone button press, although the GPS indicator is indeed missing. I did not initially get teh list but that was thanks to Graffiti Anywhere (I hate graffiti 2 btw... grrr) which I now have disabled in the phone app. When I remove the phone logo the GPS indicator comes back. No big deal.
    yep.
    When I performed a hard reset my functionality was restored. Something must have happened during of the the app installations.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseRPI
    When I perform step 2, I do not get the call log, but instead just reloads the phone app. Could something have happened to the phone app on my device? What can I do to restore this functionality?

Mine does this also, I had DBk5 (sp?) installed and it hijacked my phone button, so I removed it. Now one press of the phone button gets the phone app. but the second doesn't pull up the list. I have a new phone comming for the sound quality issue, so haven't hard reset yet. Will a sync get me back ALL my apps? Or will I have to install some of them seperatly?
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    Mine does this also, I had DBk5 (sp?) installed and it hijacked my phone button, so I removed it. Now one press of the phone button gets the phone app. but the second doesn't pull up the list. I have a new phone comming for the sound quality issue, so haven't hard reset yet. Will a sync get me back ALL my apps? Or will I have to install some of them seperatly?
    I found the best way to not have Datebk5 hijack the phone is to say "no" when it asks you if you want to assign the Datebook button upon installation. I also use 2day, which integrates amazingly with DB5.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasparks
    I found the best way to not have Datebk5 hijack the phone is to say "no" when it asks you if you want to assign the Datebook button upon installation. I also use 2day, which integrates amazingly with DB5.
    Or you could say YES, and then map the DateBk5 app to the appropriate button. This is under Prefs: Views. Where it says "Date," choose "2" from the pulldown.

Of course this is on the latest version, with Treo 650 tweaks. There sure are lots and lots of preferences to explore in this app. I'm not sure I'd be able to go back to the "standard" Calendar app!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast