Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone gotten Voicedial working? It only seems to recognize my voice about 10% of the time. If I try dialing digits it never recognizes me. I tried training it, too.

Are you supposed to put the Treo 650 up to your head or out in front of you? I tried both ways and with the included headset with no luck.

I thought maybe it was corrupted or something, so I did a hard reset and only installed the voice dialer.

I did place a call to VoiceSignal. They had never heard of any issues, but they took my info down.

Arghh.. frustrated after saying "CALL" so many times.. reminds me of when I was trying to use voice recognition on my PC about 10 years ago.

I used it on an old phone with voicesignal built in and it worked fine, so I was stupid and bought this without fully testing it.

Anyone have any hints on how to make this work?
    That's odd... Mine works absolutely perfectly. No training at all and I'm very impressed with the recognition. Maybe you've got a hardware problem. Try leaving yourself a voicemail and leave a voice message. Listen to the message to verify clarity of sound.
    I bought it but haven't used it a ton... I was paying $5/mo. for Sprint's Voice Dialing and that worked OK at best... this one is supposed to be better - I'll post again after actually using it for a while... I did notice during the couple of times that I've used it so far that it was very slow... but I was also futzing around with it alot so we'll see...
  4.    #4  
    Have you been able to get digit dialing working?

Name dialing works sometimes, but I have never gotten digit dialing working.

Do you put the phone up to your head when you say the digits or name? or how far away from your mouth.
    Number dialing works perfectly without any training. I can hold the phon up close to my cheek or far away and it just works for me.
    I say the number normally with no pauses between numbers.

Nate
    I find name pronounciation a big problem.

For example, one contact has the last name "Zanon" pronounced "Za-known"

However voicedial will only recognize it if I pronounce it "Zan-in" (rhyms with Danon, the yogurt)

Pretty useless....
    One of the few things that works flawlessly for me. I find that if I try to speak clearly and slowly, recognition actually goes DOWN. Speak like you normally do, and the recognition will work great.
    It recognizes exactly 0% of my commands. I did the digit voice training.
    I tried "updating my contacts" through voicedial. I get a funny screen with a square box and the text "VST Assert vre-api\src\vre-api.c Line 531"
    I assume that this is not what others are getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrack
    I bought it but haven't used it a ton... I was paying $5/mo. for Sprint's Voice Dialing and that worked OK at best... this one is supposed to be better - I'll post again after actually using it for a while... I did notice during the couple of times that I've used it so far that it was very slow... but I was also futzing around with it alot so we'll see...
    I get decent recognition when using the built-in mic, but terrible recognition when using the stock wired headset.
  10.    #10  
    I ended up deleting a bunch of entries in my address book with non-us phone numbers.. (about 300)... One or more of those entries must have been hosing up Voicedial.

I was able to finally get it working great by totally deleting my contact database. So I knew something was wrong with some contacts.

I just added contacts back in, and its work fine now..digit and name dialing.

I worked with Voicesignal on this.. so they are investigating what is happening.

There might be some characters in the Palm contact database that cause Voicedial issues.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    I ended up deleting a bunch of entries in my address book with non-us phone numbers.. (about 300)... One or more of those entries must have been hosing up Voicedial.

I was able to finally get it working great by totally deleting my contact database. So I knew something was wrong with some contacts.

I just added contacts back in, and its work fine now..digit and name dialing.

I worked with Voicesignal on this.. so they are investigating what is happening.

There might be some characters in the Palm contact database that cause Voicedial issues.
    The voice dial function had been working on my Treo but now it has stopped and won't recognize anything names or numbers.

What did you do to get yours working?

JC
    This software has been INFURIATING me since I installed it! Never getting contacts right, not working in even the slightest noisy environment, and basically taking far more time than simply looking up a contact would. Then I read this thread. I decided to try it again. I'm in a room with a very noisy ventilation fan directly over me, so I figured there was NO WAY it was going to work. I did do one thing differently. I spoke the names as if I was speaking to a person (just like the instructions said). It worked flawlessly! If someone had told me "speak clearly" while I was trying it previously, I would have INSISTED I was. Now I realize I really wasn't. I was speaking too slowly. Enunciating too much. Now I'm just talking and the program is working great! I truly couldn't understand how it worked so wonderfully on other phones, but not my Treo. Well, now I realize that in this instance it was operator error, not the Treo! Yea VoiceSiganl! Good job! You made a program well enough that it doesn't need its input slowed down at all. Those of you experiencing issues of recognition (obviously error messges like one poster described must be something different) I suggest you step back and re-evaluate how your speaking to the program. The results might surprise you.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Just curious - why go through all this, when you can make the lookup and dial process very simple, by just making a couple of simple changes to the Phone app:

- In the Phone prefs, set one of the Prefs to 'Typing starts contact search' - that way, the process of looking up and dialing is WAY simple.

- Then, make sure you remove (or change) the one favorite button that came assigned to 'Contacts' by default, to something else that you'll now need a Favorite button for - you won't need to press the Contacts favorite button selection any more based on the change I suggested above.

Now - when you need to call someone - let's say Bob Johnson, here's how it works:
    Press phone to get to the phone app.
    Just press B-J-O - first letter of first name, and then one or two letters of last name.

That's it. No need to press 'Contacts' first. Just enter the letters from the Phone app (provided you've made the changes I've suggested above), and your dialing is SO much simpler.

So how does that compare to voice dialing? Well, yes, you do need to glance briefly at the phone, to enter the two or three letters (you should be able to get to the Phone app without having to look at the phone). But that's it. I see people all the time struggling with their voice dialing thing (my wife is one of them - Car phone? No! Cell phone? NO!! Julie WORK PHONE!!!) and why go through all that when all you have to do is make a few simple changes that make looking up and dialing so much easier. And it will work ALL THE TIME.

Climbing down from soapbox now...
    ^^because I often call people who don't happen to be in my contacts.

Plus.... where's the cool factor in that?
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Just curious - why go through all this, when you can make the lookup and dial process very simple, by just making a couple of simple changes to the Phone app <snip>
    Because some ppl would like to dial a number without touching their phone.

It's a bit safer to use voice dial while driving.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    nrosser - that is a good solution, but the voicedialing would be safer in cars - plus, if phone is in a stand, would pass all hands free requirements
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I was having the same problem. VoiceDial worked flawlessly until I bought it, then it only worked about 50% of the time. At the same time I sarted to have an issue with people on the other end not being able to hear me. (Once in awhile at first, then increasing to about 50% of the time).

I thought it was VoiceDial but finally took the Treo down to factory settings w/ no extra programs and still had the issue w/ others not hearing me on calls. I finally called Cingular & they immediately said they were going to replace the phone under warranty because of the microphone issue.

You may want to make sure it's not your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Just curious - why go through all this, when you can make the lookup and dial process very simple, by just making a couple of simple changes to the Phone app:

- In the Phone prefs, set one of the Prefs to 'Typing starts contact search' - that way, the process of looking up and dialing is WAY simple.

- Then, make sure you remove (or change) the one favorite button that came assigned to 'Contacts' by default, to something else that you'll now need a Favorite button for - you won't need to press the Contacts favorite button selection any more based on the change I suggested above.

Now - when you need to call someone - let's say Bob Johnson, here's how it works:
    Press phone to get to the phone app.
    Just press B-J-O - first letter of first name, and then one or two letters of last name.

That's it. No need to press 'Contacts' first. Just enter the letters from the Phone app (provided you've made the changes I've suggested above), and your dialing is SO much simpler.

So how does that compare to voice dialing? Well, yes, you do need to glance briefly at the phone, to enter the two or three letters (you should be able to get to the Phone app without having to look at the phone). But that's it. I see people all the time struggling with their voice dialing thing (my wife is one of them - Car phone? No! Cell phone? NO!! Julie WORK PHONE!!!) and why go through all that when all you have to do is make a few simple changes that make looking up and dialing so much easier. And it will work ALL THE TIME.

Climbing down from soapbox now...

Aside from the two reasons stated above, a six hundred dollar phone should do that. It IS infinitely safer than hitting buttons when you're doing ninety miles an hour on the freeway. It IS infinitely cooler than punching up contacts (which I do see what you're saying, I have my phone setup the way you describe). How about this? I understand how easy your example was, and you're correct (I don't want to sound snippy here, I like you nrosser), but what if I have several people in my database whose names are very similar. For example, I know MANY people whose first name starts with -J- and last name has several of the same first letters, i.e. McDon
    I haven't counted them all, but just off the top of my head:
    John McDonald
    James McDonald
    Julie McDonnell
    Justin McDonnell
    Jim McDinough
    Jason McDormand
    As you can see, just off the cuff, your example has now become a much longer process. Either I type in what amounts to almost the entire name (dangerous on a phone with such a small keyboard) or I scroll through what might amount to thirty or forty contacts. Nevermind the fact that if I jus punched in the first three as you said I'd also get:
    Julie McKinney
    John McKinney
    Jamie McCloud
    Again, I realize not everyone know's as many people with Irish surnames, but still, the phone should voicedial. And I shouldn't have to buy the program either, but that's another thread altogether!
    I don't know what type of phone your wife is using, but I can tell you ANY of the current Samsung or Sanyo models from Sprint work flawlessly with VoiceDial, with or without a headset. I know, I watch my employees use and sell them everyday. I just wanted mine to do the same. Maybe if it had required a lot of setup or something I could see how you might be right. It might not be worth it, but in my case it only needed me to speak more clearly as it had been telling me from the beginning. Sometimes reading (or in this case, listening) to instructions of a new toy can be helpful.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Voice dial seemed to work wonderfully on my MPx220, but I bought it for the Treo (why the hell isn't that a standard feature? SAFETY PalmONE, SAFETY!!!), and it doesn't work at all. I can't get it to dial any of my contacts appropriately, especially in a semi-noisy environment.

I've had it for a week or so.. I use it w/my headset and am quite pleased with it. I find dialing the 650 while driving to be quite hazardous, w/the screen or buttons.

When using the individual voice/number input it gets 80-90% correct in that group of 3 possibilities. For Contacts it's better.

For me it's more about not having to use my hands than speed. YMMV!
    Treo 650 ->Sprint 1.08
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast