Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I want to use voice dialing with the T650, and am trying to determine which app will work best for me. There does not seem to be a whole lot of user reviews on voice recognition software yet. I am contemplating either:
    - VoiceDial by VoiceSignal (bundled as a trial with the 650)
    - VoiceLauncher

I like the fact that the VoiceSignal solution does not require training, as this will take considerably less setup effort and less space. But VoiceLauncher may be a little more accurate (due to training), and it can do system commands as well. Hmmm. Can anyone advise on this based on experience with either program? Any other programs that I should consider?
    Quote Originally Posted by awesterink
    I want to use voice dialing with the T650, and am trying to determine which app will work best for me. There does not seem to be a whole lot of user reviews on voice recognition software yet. I am contemplating either:
    - VoiceDial by VoiceSignal (bundled as a trial with the 650)
    - VoiceLauncher

I like the fact that the VoiceSignal solution does not require training, as this will take considerably less setup effort and less space. But VoiceLauncher may be a little more accurate (due to training), and it can do system commands as well. Hmmm. Can anyone advise on this based on experience with either program? Any other programs that I should consider?
    The VoiceSignal version comes with the Treo 650 free for fourteen days. Try it. Find someone with a Samsung and ask how their's works. The few posts about the VoiceSignal version have been pretty good or great. The VoiceSignal version will presently work with both the phone mic and the wired headset and it does with blue tooth when PalmOne OK's it will work with the Treo.

The two other programs Voice Launcher and Voice Dial seem to still have many issues including no bluetooth, headset problems, uninstall problems, volumous training, one number per contact, bugs.

Today it seems that you do not even have a question, maybe tomorrow the improvements will equalize but from all the present threads...............

Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
  3.    #3  
    I used a Samsung i600 on Verizon that had VoiceDial from VoiceSignal built in, and I hated it. Partly because it was waaaay to cumbersome to get it started...not as simple as a single button press, but I think that was more of an implementation issue on that phone. Secondly I found that it did not recognize my voice very well. But hey, that's over a year ago, so perhaps it got better in the mean time. You're right, I should probably give that 14-day trial a shot.
    I like voice dial and it seems pretty accurate. However it works better with my wired headset. If I just turn on the speakerphone and use it, half of time the phone cuts in and out according to the other person online.

Also with the volume on the headset, it is sooo loud even when set on very low.

One person in this forum suggested speaking quickly to name your contact and I found that suggestion made all the difference in getting Voicesignal to be accurate.
    I'm trying out voice signal but I can't get past the first screen where it says "Please Wait..." while it looks at my contact list. After two hours it's still sitting on this screen. Cancel clears the wait screen and the side button opens it back up. Any idea what's up? My contact list is only 35 names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayazo
    I'm trying out voice signal but I can't get past the first screen where it says "Please Wait..." while it looks at my contact list. After two hours it's still sitting on this screen. Cancel clears the wait screen and the side button opens it back up. Any idea what's up? My contact list is only 35 names.
    I had the same thing happen. A soft reset did the trick. It should only takes a couple of seconds to "look" at your contacts.
    my problem with voicedial is that I purchased it for my first 650. the code is device specific, not based on the hotsync I'd. the code I purchased doesn't work with my replacement 650.

I've been trying to get a new code from handango for two weeks with no luck. Does anyone have a direct phone number for handango support?????
    I haven't tried Voice Launcher but I was so impressed with Voice Dial that I bought it. Much more accurate than the voice tags I've using with Sony Ericsson and Nokia phone. I'm just blown away by it. I've only tried a dozen different names to be honest but every one was found on the first try no problem. Given how inaccurate voice tags were on the other phones I've had I'm just astonished that something with no training can do this. If it could dial via a bluetooth headset it would be close to perfect for me.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    ... If it could dial via a bluetooth headset it would be close to perfect for me.
    So does VoiceDial NOT work with bluetooth? Currently, I do not have a bluetooth headset but I will very soon. I do NOT want to purchase a license for VoiceDial if it won't work with a Bluetooth headset.

Thanks
    K
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    So does VoiceDial NOT work with bluetooth? Currently, I do not have a bluetooth headset but I will very soon. I do NOT want to purchase a license for VoiceDial if it won't work with a Bluetooth headset.

Thanks
    K
    No. At the moment it does not work with Bluetooth headsets
    Thanks!

That really sux, tho

K
    It does work with BT. You just can't initate it from the headset. Program the side button to launch the application and then speak into your BT mic. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    No. At the moment it does not work with Bluetooth headsets
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    It does work with BT. You just can't initate it from the headset. Program the side button to launch the application and then speak into your BT mic. Works great.
    Okay..I guess that is better than nothing.

Thanks for the info.

K
    Which headset are you using? Are you saying that the app will initiate a connection to a headset? In my T68 days, you initiated the voicedial from the headset, by pushing the button on it...but this does not work with the Treo 650 (handsfree is not headset)...
    This is very odd. I just wanted to find out how much it costs, so I went to Palm Website to the software area and enter VoiceDial, VoiceSignal in the search box. No result came back.

I am sure there are other ways to find out, but one would think if the goal is to sell a product, why make it hard to find it.
    costs $19.95
    What headset are you using? I have tried 4 different ones and none of them get or send audio with VS thru the headset
    I found that with VoiceSignal it doesn't recognize my numbers that have the code *82 before the number, which I use for many because my default on my phone is caller id blocking. I use the *82 code to disable caller id blocking for those I want to see me come up on their screen. Any ideas for a fix or why that would be?
    Jabra 250. I can press the side button on the 650 to launch the app and then speak into the BT mic at the prompt. Not pushing any buttons on the headset. So yes, I guess the app initates a connection but you cannot get the BT headset to do the same (launch the app).

Quote Originally Posted by barky81
    Which headset are you using? Are you saying that the app will initiate a connection to a headset? In my T68 days, you initiated the voicedial from the headset, by pushing the button on it...but this does not work with the Treo 650 (handsfree is not headset)...
    ...will not work with the best BT headset currently available which is the HBH 660. Strange commands start to appear on the voicedial startup screen and then the program stops working all together. Others have reported the same thung in another thread somewhere. I was really getting to like voicedial until I got my HBH 660. Oh well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast