1. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I have searched the threads and can't find this info.

I just got my 650 about 30 minutes ago and am charging it now.

What I need to know is should I be setting it up to sync with Palm Desktop or with Outlook. I use Outlook Express for email now, and several of my work associates are using the full blown Outlook program. Since I have never had a Palm product and have not used Outlook I don't know what I should do. I would like some unbiased, and informed, opinions on what I should do, or at least consider. It would be nice to know by the time my battery charges up.

Died in the wool MS haters probably can't be unbiased.
    It's really personal choice... If you currently don't use a calendar/to-do list type application and only use OE for you contacts and email you probably will be ok on the Palm Desktop, but I use full blown Outlook - I tried Palm Desktop and I thought it was ok at best - if you have Outlook already then I would suggest using it. You can easily import all your email configs and other info from OE and be up and running in no time... but if you don't own Outlook I'm pretty sure you'll need to buy full blown MS Office which is $$, so that's up to you...
    As you may know Outlook Express will not work with syncing. I like the Palm Desktop but end up using Outlook because it is UNIVERSAL. I can use it at work, which requires the use of Outlook and then have no problems at home syncing with that computer. So for flexibility I suggest going with Outlook.
    Palm Desktop is the closest to what you have on the Palm. Outlook is more powerful, but Outlook has many fields that aren't supported on the Palm, and you can have some difficulties when you do things in Outlook that aren't supported by Palm. As an PIM application alone, it depends on whether or not you want the power of Outlook, and are prepared to work around the difficulties.

Having said that, Outlook is a far better email client than Outlook Express, and I don't think anything beats having the PIM and email client integrated. I think Outlook is the choice if you are planning to do mail.
    The very nature of opinions are that they are biased.

I use Outlook and it's great.

But it's my biased opinion.
    -----------------------------
    Treo 650 rocks!

Get a FREE iPod Photo! Use the URL below:

Free iPod! Click Here!
    The one thing I do suggest is if you use Outlook (which as Druce pointed out) it has many fields, multiple phone #s, addresses, categories, etc... that are not supported on Palm. I suggest buying Beyond Contacts (a third party application available at www.beyondcontacts.com) and using that to sync to - easy to install and configure and seamlessly syncs with Outlook including ALL fields - addresses, phone #s, multiple category support, etc... it's wonderful. So that's my suggestion... Outlook with Beyond Contacts.
    I'm using Outlook for the mere fact that the Palm Desktop doesn't have an email component -- something I just don't understand. I try to use as few apps as possible, so it's Outlook for me for now.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrack
    The one thing I do suggest is if you use Outlook (which as Druce pointed out) it has many fields, multiple phone #s, addresses, categories, etc... that are not supported on Palm. I suggest buying Beyond Contacts (a third party application available at www.beyondcontacts.com) and using that to sync to - easy to install and configure and seamlessly syncs with Outlook including ALL fields - addresses, phone #s, multiple category support, etc... it's wonderful. So that's my suggestion... Outlook with Beyond Contacts.
    I second this suggestion. I am using Outlook to synch and I got the Total Office package from Dataviz and it contains Beyond Contacts, Documents to Go, and InBox to Go....carry my entire Outlook information with me in my Treo.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
  9. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input. I have Outlook 2000 since I'm using MS Office 2000 - I just have never installed it.

Anyone using Outlook 2000? Since it is a bit long in the tooth, I want to make sure it will work. I looked at Outlook 2003 at Office Depot ($109) but I could not tell if it provided any real enhancements over 2000.
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    Thanks for the input. I have Outlook 2000 since I'm using MS Office 2000 - I just have never installed it.

Anyone using Outlook 2000? Since it is a bit long in the tooth, I want to make sure it will work. I looked at Outlook 2003 at Office Depot ($109) but I could not tell if it provided any real enhancements over 2000.

Outlook 2003 is the first real upgrade to the venerable Information Manager since its inception. There are substantial upgrades, especially for those who depend on Outlook as the hub of all core information.

That being said, it can be had for less than $90 at many online merchants
    I was large and in charge!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrack

Whereas Beyond Contacts does an admirable job in replicating Outlook on the Palm, I would suggest KeySuite as this product has more robust folder handling, and can also dial your phone.
    I was large and in charge!