Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is the lack of WiFi due to the lack of memory issue?

I guess Palm1 has more important things to worry about than the simple lack of WiFi.

Man, am I ever glad that these things will be solved by the Sprint users! Those of us waiting for the GSM may get a cleaner implementation in January!!!
    Perhaps.

I think it also has a little to do with the deathly fear all carriers and telecoms have of "free wireless phone calls", though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Perhaps.

I think it also has a little to do with the deathly fear all carriers and telecoms have of "free wireless phone calls", though.
    I agree with your scenario. At the Boston Roadshow, it was even slipped that the carriers do not want a phone that they are subsidizing, that can do VoIP (other than T-Mobile, due to the T-zones).
    It should be noted that Sprint has a similar thing to T-zones called Wi-fi zone (http://www4.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/p...ces/data/wifi/). Given their influence, you'd think that couldn't be the reason unless Sprint didn't want to promote their version yet.

Anyway, I don't think that an
    TMo's wifi is called TMo Hotspots not T-zones
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    No, I think the lack of WiFi is due to lack of competence at P1.
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz24
    No, I think the lack of WiFi is due to lack of competence at P1.
    do you own either a 650 or 600... i'm assuming the answer is yes, given your presence at these boards...

so, who's the fool, the incompentent people that continue to buy, or the incompetent people selling to them.

The phone has issues, but still, is far and away, the best thing available..... IMHO

--- just sick of all the bashing
    I know people are sick of the bashing.

p1 does have the best phone out there.

but you have to understand the frustration here.... with all that p1 has going for it, the small effort it would take to make the perfect treo that would not only dominate the market but also make the consumers happy, investors happy, and therefore palmone itself happy financially.... is incredible! yet continually they JUST MISS the target.

if they'd deliver on memory, wifi, etc, blackberries, ipaqs would
    be in the spot where p1 finds itself now, tryin to catch up with everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj
    The phone has issues, but still, is far and away, the best thing available..... IMHO
    Yeah, perhaps, but something that you and your rah-rah ilk tend to ignore is that the price of the TREO 650 warrants more.

If it were a $99 cheapie - not a problem!

It's not.

Problem!
    Yeah, perhaps, but something that you and your rah-rah ilk tend to ignore is that the price of the TREO 650 warrants more.

If it were a $99 cheapie - not a problem!

It's not.

Problem!
    What's your opinion of other phones that cost more than it? For instance the PDA2K mentioned around here or the Nokia brick that is going to come out at something like $800+ (from what I thought I heard). I'd say the price is pretty relative and there are definitely bargains on the Treo 650 to be found check out Amazon which can get it to almost half of it's $600 price (especially if you add in the savings on the Jabra).
    Outrageous prices for cellphones with a few extra features realy aren't the point here, I don't think. Personally, I think they're ALL ridiculous.

As mentioned too many times before, if I were a PDA user I'd want a humongous screen, maybe a qwerty keyboard, bluetooth, certainly would like WiFi, and give me the comm software so my HUMONGOUS-screen PDA could control and talk with a cell phone with bluetooth.

Otherwise a $99 cheapie is good enuf!
    Quote Originally Posted by stokar

I guess Palm1 has more important things to worry about than the simple lack of WiFi.

Man, am I ever glad that these things will be solved by the Sprint users! Those of us waiting for the GSM may get a cleaner implementation in January!!!

No the lack of wifi is simple due to the lack of available drivers to make the SD wifi card on the 650. However, it is very possbile that wireless carrier do not really want to support wifi integrated into their handsets. The only major NA carrier to do so is really Tmo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    dont agree with you gfundmagic.

nokia, which just said to launch 40 fones (!) next year, plans:

"In a concerted push to get corporations to standardize on Nokia handsets, new cellphones aimed at big business will all come with Wi-Fi, as well."

thats according to a barron's online story.

well, if I launch one phone a year I would at least forsee this development. P1 cant afford to trail behind. there will be alternatives. imagine, nokia starts "copying" the treo layout.
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    dont agree with you gfundmagic.

"In a concerted push to get corporations to standardize on Nokia handsets, new cellphones aimed at big business will all come with Wi-Fi, as well."

thats according to a barron's online story.

well, if I launch one phone a year I would at least forsee this development. P1 cant afford to trail behind. there will be alternatives. imagine, nokia starts "copying" the treo layout.

What don't you agree with? There was a thread posted here yesterday about a WSJ article that discussed just this issue and the reluctance on the part of many NA wireless carriers against further expansion of wifi hotspots as they felt it undermined their services...

Also, how can you compare a behemouth like Nokia to a small company like PalmOne? Also, how many of those 40 new handset will be smartphones and how many will be regular dumb phones/cameraphones?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb

Nokia has the bucks to be ready for always-on, high-speed, walkie-talkie connectivity with VoIP peer-to-peer voice/video comms.

Who needs a carrier?
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Nokia has the bucks to be ready for always-on, high-speed, walkie-talkie connectivity with VoIP peer-to-peer voice/video comms.

Who needs a carrier?
    NOkia does... 40% of their revenue comes from building cell towers.
    So they'll build wireless "towers" and sell them to every city in the world.

Massive income for them, humongously cheap for cities.

And wonderful for the citizens.

A win-win-win scenario.

No wonder the carriers are afraid.
    The REAL reason WiFi was not included is because BlueTooth operates in the same radio band as WiFi. (2.4 ghz) They simply would interfere with each other. Now I realize it is a very simple thing to turn off BlueTooth if you wanted to use WiFi but think about the normal typical joe (or jane) who has no concept of RF (radio frequency) issues. They would typically turn on both BlueTooth and WiFi and wonder why it doesn't work. Then again, a software switch which would only allow one at a time might work but then joe/jane might not understand why their earpiece wouldn't work after surfing session on WiFi. So many toys so little time.
    Rees
    Then maybe they should have released 2 version.........

WiFi for those who want it and Bluetooth for the others.

I'm getting a little tired of the arguements around WiFi and Bluetooth. At the end of the day PalmOne made the wrong decission IMO given the feedback and threads asking for WiFi. They went with Bluetooth.

At the end of the day which side of the device are they supporting the most......

The phone with Bluetooth

or

The Palm device with WiFi.

To me they look like they are trying to attract phone users onto Palm devices with phone improvements but at the end of the day it's the Palm user who is the staple of Palms sales.

They should concentrate more on device improvements as a whole and listen more to the feedback provided by Palm users.

Looking for a fox hole and ducking for cover. Incoming.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

Quote Originally Posted by stokar

I doubt (HIGHLY DOUBT) you will see a patch by January...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast