Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is my 2-cents worth...

EDIT: Check Post #12 for Screen Shots

Got the New Treo650 yesterday via FedEx that I ordered from Palm One on 11/08/04.

Intitial thoughts.
    The box it comes in is smaller then the 600. The blue is not that bad, the phone seems a TAD bit heavier (but in a more robust, good way, only 0.2oz I think), the phone feels more solid too.
    I put the battery in the back of the phone, noted the small piece of felt on the back of the back cover that was put there (after a trade show I think I read somewhere) to keep the rattle down. I then CAREFULLY grasped the phone and shook it to see if it rattles like the 600. It was 99% quite, there was a slight rattle from the ringer switch and the only reason I am saying this, is if I said there was no rattle, then someone would say that in a perfectly quite room they could hear what they thought was a rattle. So for all practical reasons, it was rattle free. Also the case does not squeek either, another plus

PROS
    GREAT SCREEN * No Rattle * Great Keyboard feel * Better button lights * Vibrate is beefier * Camera is better * VOLUME LOCK * more systme sound settings * all my ringers from the 600 transferd over * the center of the 5-way is easier to use * New Menu and App buttons make sence when you get use to them * When setting up a new contact, you can take a picture of them right there, it's built in, and there is a "birthday" area now * VersaMail is cool * The HTML tags via Blazer are back (like the 300) * My Blazer bookmarks transfered over, as well as my Phone Favorites too * You can now either Beam or Bluetooth a file to someone * Nice stylis * Easier to do reset now (lets hope it's not needed very often ).

NETRALS
    New layout on some apps, like the Prefs app, will just take time to get use too * Dedicated 'send' and 'end' keys * Caller ID pictures now in 'contacts' not the Favorite area like the 600 * The 5-way is a tad less easier to use * Real Player * No 5-way assignments in Phone app * the jury is still out on Bluetooth (note, I do have Wi-Fi at the house, so take that with a grain of salt). Speaker crackled once (I think it was the app, not the speaker driver) * Removable battery

CONS
    No light control for Keyboard * No Contrast setting * Less hotkeys to assign *

Remember, this is just my view, yours may differ..
    Rattle: as I said, it seems almost rattle free 100% improvement
    Keyboard: Feels more like a real keyboard, I seem to be able to type better easier and the keys are more robust too, easier to press with better feedback.
    Button light: both the buttons and keyboard lights are better, you could not see the cobalt blue back lights on the treo600 verywell, with the 650 you do, also, even thought the keyboard is brighter, it's clearer. The term brighter is perhaps not a good term, better illumination would be.
    Vibrate: It's faster and seems beefier, more robust.
    Camera: Still testing, but it seems like a HUGE improvement
    Riner Volume Lock: you have to confirm when you change the rigner volume..NICE
    System Sound: you now have 1-4 and off, not just off with low-med-high.
    T600 Ringers transferd over: The custom ringers from my 600 are there after a hotsync.
    Center of 5-way: On the 600 I wold always hit more then the center button, so I got in the habbit of using the tip of my thumb nail. The 650, I can just press normaly.
    New Menu App: Like in the Prefs App, the pull down arrow on the top right is gone, you select your sub menu from the main screen in Prefs now.
    Contact Picture: Unlike the 600 where the picture you see when someone calls is in the Favorite area, it's now in the "contact' area for that person. Also when you are making a contact, you can take a picture of them, right there, it's intergrated.
    New Menu & App buton: Once you use them, being next to the 5-way makes sence, it's faster to use now.
    HTML Tag: When you would enter a URL manualy with the 300, you had choices like 'www' '.com' and such, they are now back now.
    Beam with BT: BT is now a choice for file transfer
    VersMail: seems like a good intergration, may not install another client, I'll have to use it more to see?
    I see the lure of the dedicated Send/End button, make the 650 more Phone like and not as scary to non PDA people, but where is the market base? Anyway, I'll get use to it, I just miss having access to all 4 hotkeys in the 'buttons' Prefs.
    5-Way: Even though the center button is better IMHO, I find the up/down/left/right not as easy to use, I hit the "T" sometimes.
    No custom 5-way in the phone app: Unlike the 600, you can assign things to the 5-way in the phone app.
    The speaker crackeled onece, I think it was the app I was in, have not hear it since.
    Bluetooth: Still need to mess around with it. I have Wi-Fi setup at the house and they both have a same carrier frequency, could just be an issue with the way I use it?
    No way to turn off the keyboard lights it appears, time for a hack...
    No Contrast setting that I can find. The 600 was set up to toggle the keyboard light when you hit option+p now that just pulls up the brightness control.
    Real Player: perahps I need to give it time, but I like POCKET TUNES and Real Palye is locked into the ROM taking up space.
    Removable battery: I didn't have an issue with the 600, the extra battey sled was fine. If the OE battery inside broke then I would pull it a part and repalce it. I am a technician by trade, so this is not fair to most. But if the battery was not removable, then there woudl not be the memory issue beef that some people have (it's a real issue for some Power Users and even the ones that are not, it will still take up a tad bit more memeory then if it was the old way). So I see people would want a repalceable battery becasue they don't want a sled on the back and want to just do asimple swap when it dies, but why not have a storage capacitor to hold a charge for 30sec while you change the battery. The storage cap acts like a tiny, temporary battery. That would be a nother way to do it, but I bet there is a lot more to that then that. A simpler way to have fixed this would to just have includes a lot more internal memeory..then everyone would be happy. LETS STILL GIVE P1 time to Look INTO this before we go "Medieval " on them (Pulp Fiction quote).

Also, inclosing, I am really happy with the new Treo650 and can't get over the screen. hope this is helpful and as you can tell, my new word of the month is "robust" ...LOL

Regards, Matt Burkhard

Note: I have 12.3M of free memeory, but not many Third Party apps yet, just an FYI.

UPDATE

BlueTooth : Must have been the Wi-Fi (802.11b) at the house causing interfearance, because in the car, the Jabra Bluetooth headset works A LOT better. There was no crackle and the hollow/tube sound was gone. I called a friend and he said he could tell that I was on some sort of handsfree/speaker phone, but it was not obvoius, once I said I was on a BT headset, he was supprised to hear that.

The far left and far right harkeys (#1 and #4, green send and red end respectively) have a great feel to them, almost like the are 100% mechanicnal push buttons, there is a distinct acknowledgementof the press and release. One again, Robust..LOL
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 11/25/2004 at 08:25 AM.
    Thanks for the in-depth, Matt.

I got my 650 yesterday and am new to Treos having only had a Palm V/Vx before and no cell for several years now. So from my perspective, this thing is a revelation! HUGE WOW factor for me.

P1 is gonna have probs with 600 users who have lots of 3rd party apps and find the onboard memory limiting.

For many others, like me, who will be just coming aboard with this model, the 650 will be a thrill.

Mine seems to be 100% out-of-the-box and I am glad I don't have to mess with QC issues.

I have 15.8 MB free after syncing the data and apps from my Vx, so I am good to go.

I do hope P1 takes care of their power users as I hope to become one as time goes by.

Overall the 650 gets a big thumbs up from me. But I would have to be considered an "average" user, not a power user.
    thanks for the review . . . i like to hear about the software changes while I wait for mine to arrive
    Good job, Matt. I hope the GSM version comes out someday.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    have you guys been able to get your old SMS convos from the 600 - to appear on the 650?

it shows up in my logs on hotsyncs, and i have them in my back up folders - but for some reason they are not showing in the SMS app for the 650.

if anyone has insight on this please share.

many thanks - and happy tday

regards,
    dolo
    .:Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around:.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dolo
    have you guys been able to get your old SMS convos from the 600 - to appear on the 650?

it shows up in my logs on hotsyncs, and i have them in my back up folders - but for some reason they are not showing in the SMS app for the 650.

if anyone has insight on this please share.

many thanks - and happy tday

regards,
    dolo
    The 'recent' SMSed list x-fered over, but the SMS/Chats did not. Yes, I too see the old SMS chats in the backup folder, so they are there, just not loaded into the 650's SMS app. Perahps the way the 650 saves the data is different? The recent list may x-fer fine and the SMS data can't? I will look further into it today.

I did find the OEM WIRELESS OFF AND ON SCREEN though.. white screen with an orange bar in the lower 1/3 going sideways with a small treo650 at a 45degree angle with it's shadow and the word TREO above it. I'll try to get a screen shot later.
    Um

BEST CELL DEALS ON THE NET click HERE
    and NO, I don't work for these people. I can appreciate a d*mn good deal when I see one. Free Shipping and 10% of the diff. - Share the knowledge people.
    Maybe you're not employed by them but it's an affiliate link where they pay you a commission so you do have a financial interest.
    Thanx much Burk! I know I can count on u to keep it real with us, you drove us thru some exciting and adventurous portals using the 600, i.e.,( your experience in China and "Tips and Tricks" thread )so I look forward to posts from those who handle this device with conviction and purpose! While I await for my 650 I expect some disapointment with P1 by some of you on the bugs, lack of memory etc., but can't help but to believe that most of us will get thru this as we have before with the 600! If we lean back and await a formal solution to the memory allocation method from P1, I feel we can gain somewhat but in the meanwhile let's play with this thing!!! Go for it! Smart and patient folk will have work arounds anyway.
    Thanks Burk. I learned a few things that I didn't know... after playing with it for 6 days.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600kings
    Thanx much Burk! I know I can count on u to keep it real with us, you drove us thru some exciting and adventurous portals using the 600, i.e.,( your experience in China and "Tips and Tricks" thread )so I look forward to posts from those who handle this device with conviction and purpose! While I await for my 650 I expect some disapointment with P1 by some of you on the bugs, lack of memory etc., but can't help but to believe that most of us will get thru this as we have before with the 600! If we lean back and await a formal solution to the memory allocation method from P1, I feel we can gain somewhat but in the meanwhile let's play with this thing!!! Go for it! Smart and patient folk will have work arounds anyway.

Although I agree with you that we should relax a bit cause this is getting way out of hand. It reminds me of the Kerry swift boat reports which caught fire in the news.
    However if no one raised a complaints, the issue would Never Be Fixed. The automotive and now the pharmaceutical industry does this all the time!
    It is good that the consumer is standing up for the money paid vs. value delivered.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for all the positive responce and kind words. I am glad this is useful to y'all too.

On the main screen for the phone app, in the default OEM state, you have the dial pad and below it you have 4 favorites you can access (if you use the 5-way to go all the way down, you then enter the whole Favorites area), as well as the date and time up top, right below the signal strength and carrier line. So the top line is Carrier-GPS Icon-BT icon-Signal and battery.Next line (second) is Time and Date, AS WELL as the current things that may be an alert (Attention Manager) about. In this second line, if you have any unread emails you will have a white envelope (waiting email) with the # of unread next to it. If you have any unread SMS's (waiting SMS), there will be a green envelope with the # of unread SMS to the left of where the waiting email icon would be. After the second line, you will have the good old dial pad we are all use too (but a much better looking one of course, did I mention the screen is veruy nice ), then below the dial pad, as stated above, you have 4 favoites.

So there is a kind of "Today" intergration now incorrperated with the phone app's main screen. To make this even more useful, you can go into the General Preferances of the phone app and have it incert an additional line, under the second line where the sms and email icons would be if you had any waiting and above the dial pad, this third line would dispaly the next upcoming event. However, when you use this function, you do loose 2 of the favorites, but remember, you can just more the 5-way down and it will open all the favorites or you can still use the quick keys. Let me try to see if Snap (a third party app to take screen shots) works with the 650 and if so, I'll post some pictutres.
  12.    #12  
    Here is the screen shot for the Phone Main, from the post above (post11)
    T650PhoneMain.bmp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 11/25/2004 at 08:18 AM.
    I am a bit disappointed with the new layout of the Phone App. I liked on the 600 how you could assign 4 apps to each direction on the 5-way. Now, if you want the bottom right box, it is right - down - center instead of just one key press. Some will say an extra two buttons is not a big deal, but on my 600, I had contacts, verichat and favorites mapped and I used them all the time. I could ask if anyone will come out with a program/hack to get back my functionality, but I don't want to start loading up my 650 with extra apps due to memory and speed issues. Anyone else share my concerns?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I also getr a lot of popingwhen in a Wifi enviroment. I think this just the way it is with the current BT spec. Hopefully the new BT spec willbe beter. Note that it can not help us since this is a chip level issue.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
    I am a bit disappointed with the new layout of the Phone App. I liked on the 600 how you could assign 4 apps to each direction on the 5-way. Now, if you want the bottom right box, it is right - down - center instead of just one key press. Some will say an extra two buttons is not a big deal, but on my 600, I had contacts, verichat and favorites mapped and I used them all the time. I could ask if anyone will come out with a program/hack to get back my functionality, but I don't want to start loading up my 650 with extra apps due to memory and speed issues. Anyone else share my concerns?
    I agree, that is why I put that in my list of neutral, I thought I might get use to the 'new' way, but the old one was faster and eisier to me. I wish there was a choice in the phone app prefs for this.
    Matt, a really inclusive review! THANKS. Please keep us "in wait" owners going with the details as well as the useFul findings and tips!

Mellanese
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  17.    #17  
    Thanks GM!

I was playing with the SMS and found this..
    On the 600, when you would purge, it would leave the 'chats' alone, even if they were not locked. With the 650, the pruge clears ALL, SMS and Chat. I don't have an opinion on it really, more of an observation.

I SMSed the Google SMS feature (to: 46645) and got muliple results ("pizza myzipcode" and got a two part SMS back) and it put it all in a Chat form for me. This way I could see it all, verses having to open mulitple SMS's. This would not work that way on the 600, all the Google replies seemed to come back as single SMS's on the 600.

Also, on the 600, when you were in an SMS, there were two arrows on the bottom right for going up or back one SMS while the current one is open, this feature seems to be missing from the 650, or I can't find the option to toggle it.
  18.    #18  
    I was mickey mousing around with the built in app Real Player and noticed that it was a lot louder via the headphones then the 600 was. I didn't know if it was the Real Player or if the 650 had a hotter audio out. I thought the latter, so I downloaded PT, and it's a lot louder as well.

I perfer PT over RP and wish that RP was not in ROM so I could use that memeory space.

RP (in the OE form in the Treo) will not play WMA, and I am not going to upgrade it, even if it was able to play WMA (I am sure it can), because I own PT Deluxe. Also, can RP use Shoutcast?

The PT skins look killer on the 650, also the sound quality is great too. Is it me, or does PT sound a tad bit better then RP?
    I am sure there are skins for RP, but PT looks so much more impressive to me.

Also, since I use WMA files and not MP3, the PT intergration with Windows Media Player 9 is great, so I don't need the RP desk top tool, and I never liked RP in the PC, most in part to the fact when you install it, it puts itself everywhere (at least it use too a couple years back when I first tried it) and almost takes over the PC. It tries to default all the media types, icons in the system tray, quick launch and on the desktop and so on. So perhaps my not liking RP for the PC is not so much the way it works or the quailty, but that the fact it tries to 'hijack' everything..
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    RP is not as invasive as it used to be. It now asks before it sprays icons all over the PC. It is not as evil as it was, but it still not as good as any of the others out there IMHO.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    From what I am reading it seems like it is not possible to use WMP 10 to transfer songs to an SD Card. You have to use WMP9 instead. Is that right?
    Grace & Peace,

utey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast