Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know anything about this?

2004-11-24 09:58 (New York)

Followup: PLMO trading down on memory concerns

There have been reports in the web blogs regarding cancellation of orders of
    PLMO's new Treo 650. The new Treo utilizes a new FAT based nonvolatile file
    system which appears to be slower & is causing files to increase in size. Users
    are finding that the new devices are not able to fit their old data to the Treo
    Where did you find this? If it's true, then it's good news because maybe Palm will finally wake up and listen to their customers.
    down over 6% today
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Where is the source of your article, I see the stock is down, but I can't find your article or any negative news from real sources.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    based on the $ value lost in stock today, it mightve been cheaper for P1 to go with 64 or MORE of memory
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Where is the source of your article, I see the stock is down, but I can't find your article or any negative news from real sources.
    Yeah I haven't found anything credible either. Obviously something is happening, but it's not clear to me what it is.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Wow - that would be a big slap in the face to them - and all those considering purchasing. If that is truly a statement that has been made in the market, P1 will be making a statement about it probably before end of business today, or VERY early next week (as I believe markets are closed on Friday).
    Quote Originally Posted by impex4
    based on the $ value lost in stock today, it mightve been cheaper for P1 to go with 64 or MORE of memory
    Except for the fact that the company doesn't lose any money when the stock goes down.
    Quote Originally Posted by timber
    Anyone know anything about this?

2004-11-24 09:58 (New York)

Followup: PLMO trading down on memory concerns

There have been reports in the web blogs regarding cancellation of orders of
    PLMO's new Treo 650. The new Treo utilizes a new FAT based nonvolatile file
    system which appears to be slower & is causing files to increase in size. Users
    are finding that the new devices are not able to fit their old data to the Treo
    ...Nowhere found - Link please !
    I also saw it - it's on the Bloomberg system - a closed system for finance professionals - attributed to theflyonthewall.com
    PalmOne Falls Amid Concern Treo 650 Can't Store as Much Data
    2004-11-24 11:50 (New York)

PalmOne Falls Amid Concern Treo 650 Can't Store as Much Data

By John Stebbins
    Nov. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of PalmOne Inc., the world's
    biggest maker of hand-held computers, fell as much as 9 percent
    amid speculation a new model of its popular Treo mobile phone
    can't store as much information.[snip - kr]
    I have not cancelled my order for my personal 650 from VC, but I have decided NOT to order for my company for the time being because of the memory issue. I want my folks to be able to use mapping apps and they have HUGE contact lists and full appointment books (salepeople). So, until that is fixed thats about 25 units that won't get bought.
    Last edited by midmofan; 11/24/2004 at 11:16 AM.
    Ah, the proverbial kick in the pants!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Except for the fact that the company doesn't lose any money when the stock goes down.
    No, but shareholders get very pissed off when their value goes down especially when it was caused by a stupid management decision. Also, they lose money if people don't buy the thing and flock to other devices (and it is much easier to lose customers then to get them back after they left).

When it came to the ingenious memory decision, this is a clear case of "penny wise and dollar foolish."
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by timber

PLMO trading down on memory concerns
    I thought this was a more apt title for the thread ...!

Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    When it came to the ingenious memory decision, this is a clear case of "penny wise and dollar foolish."
    Well said.

Furthermore, they have lost 45 customers at my firm and various other friends and family that I've told about this issue. The question is not about when the "memory patch" or whatever you call it will be out. It's not even about when the T650 will be ready for enterprises (presumably, in the next few months). The issue here is exactly what jglev stated above: "decision"

This is about a decision made by management. The wrong decision. And they are and will continue to pay the price...dearly.
    well lets see, my 25 and illustreous' 45 thats 70 units. at $600 that makes a loss revenue of $42,000 right there, assuming no discounts. There would also have been, in our case, about 15 new Sprint lines, and even for the Sprint numbers we already have most do not have vision, so there is lost revenue for Sprint as well.
    I don't have a problem with the memory - I've been able to install everything with 9MB to spare. My issue is with the soft resets and especially the looping resets. Solve those and I would be very happy with the device.
    Some related discussion on the Yahoo Finance site today...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mb?s=plmo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast