Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I've got 10,000 agents in my company alone, many of whom use a pda-type device. Not to mention realtors from other companies. Mapping programs, contact databases and other programs are vital to this industry.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Except for the fact that the company doesn't lose any money when the stock goes down.
    dont be silly, in the long run, the company loses...and can lose big time
    Why? Because they can't raise equity? Perhaps. The truth is that in terms of operations, stock price hits mean little.
    However - the PRPRPR $mess$ $and$ $marketing$ $hit$ $Palm$ $takes$ $is$ $intangible$. $So$ $while$ $their$ $stock$ $price$ $is$ $taking$ $a$ $hit$ - $even$ $as$ $Nasdaq$ $tech$ $sector$ $trends$ $upwards$ $in$ $the$ $past$ $two$ $days$, $mind$ $you$! - $the$ $intangibles$ $wil$ $also$, $undoubtedly$, $translate$ $into$ $big$ $losses$.

Can we say "the damage is done?"

Why? Because they can't raise equity? Perhaps. The truth is that in terms of operations, stock price hits mean little.
    this will go down as one of the worst calls ever!

it only costs 7.58 for the 256 meg chipset... such morons.

I SHORTED PALM!!!!
    Just covered half the short and made a couple thou.... I love when that happens
    Well done!

But..jeez..be careful with ANY overnight position in PLMO - though it could indeed drop dramatically on Friday when the Markets open again, especially if the mainstream Me-Too Media picks up on this story (like Walt Mossberg tomorrow...), it could simply go back up again, too!
    WeeBit, I was telling my wife a couple of days ago that I wanted to short Palm around the 40 level. Needless to say I shouldn't have told her that when she asked "why do you think it's a short?" to which I responded "...this memory issue which was discovered and exploited on TreoCentral and other forums..."

Instead of recommending the short, she recommended therapy.
    One thing for sure is if this continues to become a bigger problem for Palm (which it looks like it might) they will have to address the issue. Hopefully some sort of recall for those already sold and more memory installed on the newer T650's. This is good news for those of us that have decided to wait and haven't purchased our T650 yet.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Well done!

But..jeez..be careful with ANY overnight position in PLMO - though it could indeed drop dramatically on Friday when the Markets open again, especially if the mainstream Me-Too Media picks up on this story (like Walt Mossberg tomorrow...), it could simply go back up again, too!
    Thanks!

I'm covered I used a bit of the profit to buy call options on it... i covered either way, full on hedge

If need be I'll pull out with only what I've taken so far.

I know you LOVE that I had a moment of disbelief.... but I'm sure they will swap the chipset and make this issue go away
    DaleReeck, how many apps do you have installed and how many contacts do you have in your address book?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    I don't have a problem with the memory - I've been able to install everything with 9MB to spare. My issue is with the soft resets and especially the looping resets. Solve those and I would be very happy with the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed
    this will go down as one of the worst calls ever!

it only costs 7.58 for the 256 meg chipset... such morons.
    I don't know enough about the Treo 650 hardware, but my understanding is that the problem isn't anywheres as simple as just sticking in a 256mb memory chip. The new flash filesystem with the 512b blocking factor is the real culprit. Upping the flash memory to 256mb would help, but not solve the big memory waste of the 512b blocking factor. In addition, the 10mb working memory sounds problematic also. P1 is trying to innovate with this nonvolatile memory subsystem, but it seems that they just didn't think completely through with all of the implications and side effects. That is the real issue here and it won't be that easy to fix...

How about each and every employees stock options. The company may not lose money but the managemant, the stockholders, and the employees sure do.
    My 650 just rolled in from PalmOne last night. Given everything I've read, I've decided to return it and hold off at least a couple of months until I see how everything shakes out -- knowing that *should* there be a revised model, it's unlikely that "original" owners will get freebie upgrades.

My decision was helped by two things:

1) Good Technology hasn't released their 650-compatible software yet
    2) I'm going to be largely in GSM-land (and thus only using the phone as a PDA) for the next few weeks.

I figure 6 weeks from how, I can always walk in and pick up a 650, no problem.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie
    In addition, the 10mb working memory sounds problematic also. P1 is trying to innovate with this nonvolatile memory subsystem, but it seems that they just didn't think completely through with all of the implications and side effects. That is the real issue here and it won't be that easy to fix...
    Looks like some apps have to be rewritten to work with the 10MB RAM. Definatey going backwards from 23MB RAM in the Treo 600 to 10MB in the Treo 650. You would think memory requirements is common knowledge from the PC industry. Where more RAM equates to more speed and stability.

I have to pass on the Treo 650 and wait for P1 to add more RAM and FLASH memory, built-in wifi and BT 2.x

I will continue to buy future Palm devices. Hopefully from P1.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed
    .... but I'm sure they will swap the chipset and make this issue go away
    In this latest press release they continue to describe the memory in the 650 as "ample" and suggest only a small fraction of power users wouldn't have a "great experience". I'd say their mentality on this issue is crystal... I wouldn't expect a bigger memory Treo anytime soon.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I'm not thrilled, but I'll make due. I know, shouldn't have to with a $700 device. But come on, the 650 is the best thing out there
    I find that believing the universe spontaneously generated, developed self-governing laws, and produced intelligent life all by random, purposeless, material events requires greater faith than I am able to muster.
    I agree with PatrickS. If PalmOne did say that the memory in the 650 is enough and only a small amount of "power users" would not enjoy it, then I don't see them releasing an updated model with more memory anytime soon.
    I would be suprised if P1 made the refrence as to the power user. They have suggested many times their market and the enterprise user was it.
    As for the stock drop, it simply reflects less confidence in P1 moving forward and rightfully so.
    Except I see P1's power users growing, and I know they see it. They created these power users and contribute to the growing market. I was a minor user and now, without trying have become a power user in their definition.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Where is the source of your article, I see the stock is down, but I can't find your article or any negative news from real sources.
    Bloomberg is the source.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12