Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good read...
    From a PPC oriented site, I consider that a coup.
  3.    #4  
    no negativity at all in it; the memory issue is elegantly brushed aside as a more trivial matter.
    Thanks for the link.

Nice review! It had even more credibility when the "memory" issue was mentioned.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I'm afraid the reviewer really didn't have the full picture of the memory situation. All he mentions is:

All I can come up with is the new flash memory management software. Sure, palmOne's new flash memory allows the device to retain data in memory when you lose power or change batteries (a great new feature), but unfortunately none of the expansion card backup programs like BackupBuddyVFS, BackupMan, or palmOne's own Backup Card can backup this new device (or the Tungsten T5 which also uses palmOne's new flash memory).

From what I've read online this is a known issue and it will eventually be addressed, but until it's fixed, this could just be the big Achilles' heel of the Treo 650.

This only addresses a small facet of the issue. Otherwise, a very positive review.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Good review- I agree with just about everything. After using this camera, I'm so glad they went with the VGA improvements over a below-par 1.2. The only complaint I have so far is memory; and not even the amount of memory, though 64 would be nice. What I find irritating is the phone app takes like 3-4 seconds to dial sometimes when I just want to check voicemail. I can only guess this is due to the slow memory issues discussed in other threads.
    Good review, but I'd argue him on the Nextel side note. They are the only ones offering integrated GPS.
    Interesting...doesn't mention how good or bad it sounds as a phone, which is another issue along with the memory issue that is becoming of more concern to a lot of us. Speaking of which...husband better talk to me on his new 650 today so I can judge for myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer

LOL! You know its soo interesting to see what other people impressions are of a site. Most of the ppc users over at brighthand are convinced that Ed Hardy is anti-PPC b/c he used to be the news editor of PalmInfocenter before he came over to brighthand... oh well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Im not sure how PPC based it is anymore. One of the main guys is the guy who did palminfocenter.com.

Edit:

Beat to it! Crappola!
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    LOL! You know its soo interesting to see what other people impressions are of a site. Most of the ppc users over at brighthand are convinced that Ed Hardy is anti-PPC b/c he used to be the news editor of PalmInfocenter before he came over to brighthand... oh well...
    i'm not a member, but visit everyday.

i was shocked today when i read that users thought ed was in palms pocket.

i always (still do) felt that brighthand is ppc biased.

not one word about the treo shipping, but jump on the memry issue.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I don't think it's biased in a bad way, I just think they focus more on PPCs than Palms, though that may be simply because there are more PPC devices.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    i'm not a member, but visit everyday.

i was shocked today when i read that users thought ed was in palms pocket.

i always (still do) felt that brighthand is ppc biased.

not one word about the treo shipping, but jump on the memry issue.
    You think BRIGHTHAND jumped on the memory issue? Have you read any threads on TREO CENTRAL lately??? Sheesh. I thought it was a glowing review, with less attention to the memory issue than it deserved.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    Good review- I agree with just about everything. After using this camera, I'm so glad they went with the VGA improvements over a below-par 1.2.
    I don't know why it has to be either/or... the camera on the Zire 72 is 1.2 MP AND it seems to take good pictures in light and dark situations. So why not an above-par 1.2 MP camera? Just put the Zire 72 one in there...

(edit)
    After some research, it looks like the Zire 72 camera is thouoght to suck compared to that on the Zire 71.
    Last edited by sbono13; 11/25/2004 at 12:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    You think BRIGHTHAND jumped on the memory issue? Have you read any threads on TREO CENTRAL lately??? Sheesh. I thought it was a glowing review, with less attention to the memory issue than it deserved.
    Ice,

on nov 22nd, right on their front page : Treo 650 Has Less Storage Capacity than Expected

and they discussed it here.

this was a full two days b4 their "gloowing" review.

and they never posted that is was shipping. they seem to post every ppc rumor/shipment/possible shipment.

i dont know if this was added later:

Editor's Note: It has been discovered that the Treo 650 doesn't use its memory very efficiently, and therefore has less storage capacity that expected. More information on this issue can be found in this article.
    but he mentioned it.

btw if a reviewer doesn"t notice the issue, why should he mention it? the review was of the phone and the software and functions it comes with. how many reviewers will put more than a couple of contacts on it?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I believe it was a "First Impressions" and not a full fledged review.
    The review was not very even-handed. But I just got my treo 650 yesterday, and I must say that I agree with Brighthand's opinion. Honestly, to get the full appreciation for the 650 you've got to have used the Treo 600. Then you'll realize that though on paper the improvements don't seem earth-shattering by any stretch, i.e., "We waited a year for this??", in real-life the 650 is a significant improvement. You have to use it to realize it, kind of like many little things adding up to one big improvement. The 650 is what the original 600 should have been. The two big dingers to me are 1. Memory issues 2. Value. I mean, call me nuts but I feel palmone intentionally left off the 320x320 screen last year so that they could provide more incentive in a year to upgrade. Ditto for bluetooth. The 650 could well have been done last year, so to have to pony up $600 again didn't sit well with me. But alas, they knew people like me would pay for it. But it doesn't mean I can't whine. Two bigges pros: 1. Web browing of regular full version websites is immensely faster and more enjoyable. It just plain stunk on the treo 600. This is the biggest improvement to me. 2. The screen. Amazingly good.
    Keyboard is definitely improved as well, maybe by as much as 33% increase in speed as well as accuracy. Better button placement as well. All in all, definitely much improved. But to get that improvement, it won't be worth the high price for everyone. The treo 600 is still an EXCELLENT smartphone and a far better value for the money. 300 vs 600.
    Last edited by pufftissue; 11/25/2004 at 02:06 PM.
    but it is P1's first phone since the T|W. We should be happy that it has an earpiece
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue
    I mean, call me nuts but I feel palmone intentionally left off the 320x320 screen last year so that they could provide more incentive in a year to upgrade. Ditto for bluetooth.

How quickly you forget. P1 had nothing to do with the 600. It was Handspring. If you want to blame someone, blame HS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast