1.    #1  
    Ok, my company runs Outlook/Echange 2003. I have a Verizon Treo 600. I know I can use WirelessSync to get my work email but I have a laptop so that won't work since it will not always be online. I could try and convince IT to give me an old desktop to run at my desk.

Besides that, what are my options? IT said it will work with the Treo 650 since they have configured it to work with ActiveSync. I don't think I'll be getting a 650 anytime soon.

We do have OWA running so I can get to my mail through a browser, but it doesn't work for many reasons in Blazer. I'm guessing this means that there is an SSL port open somewhere.

Is there a way to configure Snappermail or any other mail client to get my mail this way. I know I won't have calendr but at least I'll have email.

And while we're on the topic, what's the chances that ActiveSync will ever work on the Treo?

Thanks.
    -Adam
    You could set up the Treo 600 to retrieve your mail via an IMAP or POP3 setting. We run MS Exchange 2003 and I know I could use either of those options to check my email from the server.

There is another option - technically - and that is the "Workgroup" option. Basically if you had someone at your company that uses a desktop, you could put the Wireless Sync software on their machine and then configure the software to use their connection to snyc your information. That person would have to agree to leave their machine on at all times (like I do for my own software), but it should work.

Again just my 2 cents for what their worth - good luck.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
  3.    #3  
    Yea, if I go with your second suggestion I'll probably just throw an old desktop machine in my cube and leave it running at all times. I asked IT about IMAP and they said the way our Exchange server was configured that IMAP was not supported. I don't even know what external server address I would use.
    I have the same situation with a less evolved IT department-small company. Would love to know how to even forward all the messages?

Todd
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    If you are using Outlook as your email client on your office PC you can create a rule that will forward all of your incoming email to another email (say one that is POP3 accessible) and just use your Treo to pick up the forwarded mail. To set up a rule in Outlook click on the Tools dropdown menu and select Rules Wizard and create a rule that forwards your email.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by gacajun
    If you are using Outlook as your email client on your office PC you can create a rule that will forward all of your incoming email to another email (say one that is POP3 accessible) and just use your Treo to pick up the forwarded mail. To set up a rule in Outlook click on the Tools dropdown menu and select Rules Wizard and create a rule that forwards your email.

Can this be done on Outlook Web Access???

Also-stupid question-where is the 'change password' in Outlook Web?

Todd
    SnapperMail is IMAP compliant and will Synch your Exchange Inbox directly, no need to involve OWA. On the Treo set it to leave the originals on the Exchange Server. Bcc your reply Emails on the Treo (its a setting you can make permanent) to a POP3 account that you set up to forward all mail from you to your Exchange Inbox. Then, when your laptop is connected to Exchange, set up a rule on Exchange to move mail from you to your Sent Folder and all of your Treo/Work Email needs will be handled....
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk6235
    SnapperMail is IMAP compliant and will Synch your Exchange Inbox directly, no need to involve OWA. On the Treo set it to leave the originals on the Exchange Server. Bcc your reply Emails on the Treo (its a setting you can make permanent) to a POP3 account that you set up to forward all mail from you to your Exchange Inbox. Then, when your laptop is connected to Exchange, set up a rule on Exchange to move mail from you to your Sent Folder and all of your Treo/Work Email needs will be handled....
    IMAP is a good thing but our IT dept won't allow IMAP access. We have a proxy server and a firewall and IMAP isn't available to us. So I use the "out of office" rulle when I will be out of the office for a few days at a time...just activate the rule right before I leave town.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    You can setup a rule to forward all e-mail to an outside address, but I know we don't allow this on our Exchange servers at work because it is a security risk(business sensitive, proprietary info, etc.)

I have used Outlook Mobile Access on my Treo 600, and it works fine if you just need a quick e-mail experience with a text-based interface.

ActiveSync on the 600 - Will NOT be happening anytime soon according to a Microsoft webcast I attended a few weeks ago. The MS speaker said the ActiveSync solution licensed to PalmOne is hardware based, not just a program that can be copied to a Treo 600. However, he also said Palm may take the initiative to program ActiveSync for the 600.

If your company already does Blackberry and has an Enterprise Server, there is supposed to be software released before the end of the calendar year called the Blackberry Connect Stack for PocketPC and PalmOS devices. This is supposed to emulate the e-mail capabilities of java-based Blackberry devices. The downside is you will have the monthly Blackberry fees and server license fees for the BES. Info:http://www.blackberry.com/products/l...t/palmOS.shtml

Another great enterprise solution is GoodLink software: http://www.good.com . We have chosen to stick with Blackberry because we already have a fairly large deployment of devices and the Connect software is supposedly going to be out soon. If it sucks though, we may bring Goodlink on board too to support PPC and PalmOS devices.

A little off-topic, but I'd really like to try a mobile phone with Windows Mobile Second Edition and ActiveSync with Up To Date Notification. This is essentially a Blackberry-like "push" solution. When configured properly, a new e-mail arrives at the Exchange server, an SMS is pushed out to your phone telling your device new e-mail has arrived and to run ActiveSync to retrieve it.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how everything goes!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
    Can this be done on Outlook Web Access???

Also-stupid question-where is the 'change password' in Outlook Web?

Todd
    Should be a link called "Options" where you can change the password.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyder81
    I have used Outlook Mobile Access on my Treo 600, and it works fine if you just need a quick e-mail experience with a text-based interface.
    OMA works great and if you need a little more sophistication (and prettier looks) you might want to consider something like this product called OWA for PDA from http://www.leederbyshire.com/ It is a simple Server side product (not too expensive) that (a) Provides a light but neat GUI (b) Allows you to download attachments which OMA does not and (c) Most important works with Blazer.
    Satish Joshi
  12.    #12  
    Well, my IT department says our Exchange setup does not support IMAP. I don't have the luxury of installing any products on the Exchange server so I don't think Goodlink or anything like that is possible. I jut started at the company and I'm one person, I don't think they're going to buy a new product just for me. Most people have Blackberries.

Is OMA something that IT has to setup or if you are running Exchange and OWA is OMA there by default?

So, it looks like running another PC and WirelessSync is my only option?
    If you are running Exchange 2003 (not any other earlier version of Exchange server) then it is by default part of the server. All you need to know is the correct URL to use to access it, (and all that your IT needs to do is to publish the URL - now that may be a little more work than it sounds here, depending on how your security/firewalls etc are setup)
    Satish Joshi
    Question....someone was speaking of a dummy machine forwarding the email. My house machine runs 24/7....could I set it up to do this? How would I do it? I log onto a website/exchange. I would have to set up something else to check the mail? Help...this is a pain not having my emial on my Treo from work.

Todd
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
    Question....someone was speaking of a dummy machine forwarding the email. My house machine runs 24/7....could I set it up to do this? How would I do it? I log onto a website/exchange. I would have to set up something else to check the mail? Help...this is a pain not having my emial on my Treo from work.

Todd
    If you wanted to use your home machine your Outlook would need to be able to access your corporate network most likely through VPN. Do you have access to your work email from home now through Outlook?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by smjoshi
    If you are running Exchange 2003 (not any other earlier version of Exchange server) then it is by default part of the server. All you need to know is the correct URL to use to access it, (and all that your IT needs to do is to publish the URL - now that may be a little more work than it sounds here, depending on how your security/firewalls etc are setup)
    Well, I've been going back and forth with IT and they never mentioned OMA. I have the URL to OWA and tried my best to guess what the OMA URL would be but no luck. I think I'm screwed unless I can procure a crappy PC to sit at my desk and use WirelessSync and IT isn't being helpful with that request. Of course if I had a 650 with ActiveSync support I'd be all set. Errrrrrrr!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    Well, I've been going back and forth with IT and they never mentioned OMA. I have the URL to OWA and tried my best to guess what the OMA URL would be but no luck. I think I'm screwed unless I can procure a crappy PC to sit at my desk and use WirelessSync and IT isn't being helpful with that request. Of course if I had a 650 with ActiveSync support I'd be all set. Errrrrrrr!
    If OMA is enabled, I believe the default URL is http://mail.yourcompany.com/oma .

Also, if other folks at your company already run Blackberries and your IT dept runs a Blackberry Enterprise Server, you may have another option coming in the near future. The Blackberry Connect Stack should for PalmOS and PocketPC is on the way.

http://www.blackberry.com/products/l...t/palmOS.shtml
  18.    #18  
    Snyder81 you rule! Why couldn't IT tell me the URL for OMA? Well, it's not the ideal solution but at least for now it works. I will look into the Blackberry Connect thing.

Thanks again!