1.    #1  
    About 2 out of 3 times when I try to browse the Web with the Blazer browser in my 650, the screen suddenly goes blank and the the thing reboots. Is this a known issue? This is my first experience with a Palm device. I would hope that a $599 Treo would be more reliable than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink
    About 2 out of 3 times when I try to browse the Web with the Blazer browser in my 650, the screen suddenly goes blank and the the thing reboots. Is this a known issue? This is my first experience with a Palm device. I would hope that a $599 Treo would be more reliable than this.

This is obviously getting out of hand. I am hearing more and more and more about this new Treo rebooting by itself. This is really starting to give me second thoughts. I am eagerly awaiting for a GSM T650, but the more and more I hear about magical reboots, dead pixels, memory issues, versamail bugs, reception problems, and buggy software compatibility, is the more I'm leaning towards searching for alternatives. Looks like the Treo 650 is not all its hyped up to be.
    Last edited by TrueCrimeNY; 11/24/2004 at 12:30 AM.
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
  3.    #3  
    Stay far away from the Samsung MM-A700 as well. That phone kept freezing up when I tried to check my email and/or browse the web. After about two months of arguing with Sprint customer service, Sprint finally allowed me to return the A700 and I got the Treo 650 instead. The 650 is awesome, but this self-rebooting bug is very annoying. Doesn't Palm do a QA on their products before releasing them?!
    Its not...I went back to my T600..much more reliable.
    Ribbet!!
    Did it work at first and recently became unreliable? Look to see if your preferences show your cache is cleared each time you exit Blazer. That will stop increasing your cache amount. Also, did you increase the cache size? Also, do you have alot of programs loaded or alot of entries in your address book or calendar?

These are all issues regarding the current state of affairs with the 650 memory. The OS was changed (I guess) to allow the non-volital memory to be as fast as it can. However it appears it then became really inefficient. Bottom line is address books, for example, which had maybe 450k worth in it on a Treo 600 now are seeing over a megabyte on a Treo 650.

Obviously, this is a change that was not communicated to us as a whole. But it is having a negative affect. A work around many have said works is just running a program called PowerRun and putting a Secure Digital Memory card in the 650 slot. This will allow users to move programs from internal memory to the card. The sum result will be a stable environment. Everyone's needs are different. The more INTERNAL memory that is consumed on the 650 appears to result in less stability. Off loading stuff to a memory card results in more stability. There are a number of solutions like PowerRun. Another one is MSmount.

Hope this helps.
    Rees
  6.    #6  
    ReesR:

It has never worked. I did not increase the cache size. Also, the problem existed before I downloaded any apps.

In the meantime, I downloaded a 3rd party browser called Xingo and it works like a charm. I'm currently using the trial version and hope that I don't have to resort to paying for a 3rd party application when the built-in Blazer browser SHOULD work as advertised.

Thanks for the info on PoweRun - if all else fails, I'll give it a try. Again, I would hope that I would not have to use a workaround for a $599 device. I just had all kind of problems with a Samsung MM-A700. After much arguing with Sprint customer service, I returned the A700 and got the Treo 650 (paid the $200 difference). Now I back to having yet another defective phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink
    Your problem is not the Treo 650, it is the incompatable software you are using. AOL 3.2.1 does the same thing. All software does not run on the 650. Give them a chance and they will fix it.
    Yeas, Blazer has rebooted on me as well. I'm going to try using ZLauncher to move most apps off of the internal memory, so we'll see...
    I had the same problem with my 600 and now with the 650 - it's not the phone - it's the app you're using - I saw greggebhart mentioned the AOL problem - I have that same problem when I go to the AOL IM page via Blazer (thru SprinPCS mobile portal)... if I click on a buddy while the browser is still loading the device reboots... really annoying, but it would happen every once in a while with the 600 as well... gotta be some incompatibility issue.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Random reboots are almost always caused by some type of application error. Even if the app is deleted it can still cause issues because of the "orphaned" files that may get left behind. If the problem persists, backup your phone to an SD card. Do a hard-reset and test your browser with a "clean device". Also keep in mind that when browsing the web on your 650, most of the sites that you go to are not "mobile" sites, meaning they are not designed specifically to work with a cell phone browser. So some sites may send data to your phone that it may not be able to handle i.e.: security status, cookies, spam etc. So when the 650 receives some of this "unknown data" it protects itself by rebooting to restore factory defaults.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Well today was the first time my phone has reset itself. After about a week of use I have had no problems, but just this morning I was using Blazer and my phone reset. Now whenever I try to click on a bookmark my phone will reset. If I try to enter the URL manually the phone resets. So now I cant use blazer at all!!

I did nothing to the cache size or anything else for that matter. I have about 10 meg of free space. I tried clearing the cache and deleting cookies but nothing has helped.

Looks like a hard reset is in order.
  12.    #12  
    So, the built-in Blazer browser is incompatible?!?! Jeez. Maybe Palm outsources their QA to somewhere when they pay $0.50 an hour wages?

Quote Originally Posted by greggebhardt
    Your problem is not the Treo 650, it is the incompatable software you are using. AOL 3.2.1 does the same thing. All software does not run on the 650. Give them a chance and they will fix it.
    I did nothing to the cache size or anything else for that matter. I have about 10 meg of free space. I tried clearing the cache and deleting cookies but nothing has helped.

Looks like a hard reset is in order.
    Vetie, try this before you do a hard reset. Use FileZ to manually delete the blazer cache and cookies instead of deleting via blazer. This procedure fixed the exact same problem on the Treo 600 fyi..

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Thanks for the tip. What I tried was this. I used the quicklist feature (speed dial list) to save a url. This seemed to work. I then went back into blazer and it worked as well. I don't have a clue why that worked but it did.
    I have a probl with Blazer also. Hen i try to download a PDF directly from Blazer the unit rebotts when I accept the file.
    Well after 3 days of not a problem, I started to get soft resets everytime I tried to get into Blazer. It wasn't Vision itself obvioulsy since I could still use Versamail and it linked fine.

Searched the board ("blazer reset") found this thread and per this thread, downloaded Filez. Deleted the blazer catch and cookies and, sure enough, everything is fine again.

Word to the (un)wise. Use the search feature! Suprised what you will find!
    Last edited by midmofan; 12/18/2004 at 11:33 AM.
  17.    #17  
    midmofan:

Believe me, I emptied the Blazer cache numerous times and my 650 still kept rebooting. After much arguing with Sprint, I got them to send me a new 650 and it's worked just fine ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Well after 3 days of not a problem, I started to get soft resets everytime I tried to get into Blazer. It wasn't Vision itself obvioulsy since I could still use Versamail and it linked fine.

Searched the board ("blazer reset") found this thread and per this thread, downloaded Filez. Deleted the blazer catch and cookies and, sure enough, everything is fine again.

Word to the (un)wise. Use the search feature! Suprised what you will find!
  18. pjs
    I had to delete Blazer BF-History to stop Blazer from rebooting every time I ran it. Deleting Blazer Cookies and Blazer CacheHistory did not fix the problem.
    I have the Blazer-reboot problem. Entering the debug code #*377# (##377# on some phones) returns: "A reset was caused at [date, time] while running "Web": VFSDBCache.c, Line:3522, block runs inconsistent"