1.    #1  
    I don't know why I can't figure out the simple things recently but here goes:

I just got today the Seido 2-in-1 headphones to use with my 600. So, I'm listening to music and someone calls, the music stops and I can hear the ringer in the headphones...great! Now what do I do? I press the button and it doesn't answer. Do I need to flip the switch to "phone" AND press the button? And then when I'm done switch back to "music"? I was under the impression that I could just hit the button when I heard it ringing. The thing I don't like about this is that when I switch the Seidio to "phone" the ringer starts playing out loud until I hit the button.
    Yes, you need to throw the switch then press the answer button.
    The switch alters the amount of impedence on the line which tells the Treo whether it is a mono output with mic input or a stereo output.
    The connector on the Treo only has a ground, left channel and right channel so to work with an external microphone one channel is switched to mic mode.
    The Treo detects the level of impedence of the device plugged in and uses that to know if it should output in stereo and use the internal microphone or output in mono and use the external microphone.

The button you would push to answer the call also changes the impedence on the line but only momentarily. If you change the switch to headset mode the Treo now knows it should go Mono/Mic, then pushing the button just sends a pulse to the Treo that it interprets as a signal to answer the call/hang up the call.

However, if you leave the Treo in stereo mode and push the button the Treo to answer the call, it will activate the internal microphone on the Treo for you to talk through essentially acting as speakerphone and you will hear the call through your headset. This does not work well in a noisy environment because the mic is sensitive to all sound around it but it works well in my car where my Treo is plugged into my car stereo. I press answer on the Treo, the sound comes through my car speakers and the mic on the Treo is sufficient for me to talk through without picking up the phone.
    The weird thing is that sometimes the Treo will automatically ANSWER the call without me pressing the answer button and other times I have to tell it to answer. Have not figured that one out yet except possibly that the amount of impedence on the line between the cassette adaptor and the stereo may be right about at trigger level telling the Treo to answer, if that were true though I would expect it to screw up and hang up calls on my occasionally and that has not happened.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    I don't know why I can't figure out the simple things recently but here goes:

I just got today the Seido 2-in-1 headphones to use with my 600. So, I'm listening to music and someone calls, the music stops and I can hear the ringer in the headphones...great! Now what do I do? I press the button and it doesn't answer. Do I need to flip the switch to "phone" AND press the button? And then when I'm done switch back to "music"? I was under the impression that I could just hit the button when I heard it ringing. The thing I don't like about this is that when I switch the Seidio to "phone" the ringer starts playing out loud until I hit the button.
    The newest best alternative is Freedom from http://toysoft.ca which allows you to use the cheap earbud that came with your Treo to both listen to mp3's AND use the mic and answer button. No switches to flip, no worries about which mode you're in. And it's nice to finally hear your ring tones through the headset when a call comes in when you're driving!
  4.    #4  
    Ok, I just tried out Freedom but it didn't seem to do anything with the 2-in-1 headsets. I checked the "Freedom Mode" box to make sure it was on. I plugged in the 2-in-1, played some music from pTunes. I called myself and heard the ringer in the headphones. I pressed the button and it didn't answer. I still had to switch to phone mode on the headphones. I guess Freedom would be good with the included earbud but I want to listen to music in stereo so that doesn't work for me.
    The whole point with Freedom is that you use it with a generic headset. If you already have the Seidio you don't need Freedom.