1.    #1  
    Greetings All,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Please allow me to introduce myself. I am a 34 year old business professional in the IT/Health Care field and am new to the world of TREO.

I have been oooh-ing and awww-ing over the treo 600 for sometime but have held off buying one in anticipation of the 650. I live in British Columbia, Canada and travel regularly, very regularly, to the US on business. The GSM carrier in my area does not know if they will be carrying the 650 when it arrives in the US market. However, as I understand it, I can purchase an unlocked, GSM model and then add it to my carrier's service, or so they have told me. Anywaaaay... I phoned Palm1 a couple of days ago to ask for a rough idea as to when the unlocked GSM model will be available. They gentleman that I spoke with was very polite but also very uncommitted, as to be expected. I explained that I was trying to decide if I should go with a 600 now and then upgrade in the future and was inquiring as to a "rough" time frame for getting the GSMs' to the market. I asked if he thought it was closer to 1 month or 1 year. He responded that he would be very surprised if it was not out before Christmas. He also mentioned that when the "with plan" GSM models hit the market, so would the unlocked models.

I have a few questions for the forum. First, has anyone else heard anything in regards to anticipated delivery dates for the GSM? Secondly, has this been the delivery model in the past, first the CDMA to one carrier then the GSM for all? Thirdly, Do you believe that the "memory issue" will play a part in the delivery date or delays of the delivery date for the GSM? And finally, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Wait for the 650 or get go with the 600 and upgrade in a year or so? Internet/data is a very big selling point for me, I demo'd a 600 and found it a bit clunky at time in the web browsing arena. The P1 guy mentioned that the browsing in the 650 was greatly improved. I also like all of the additional features/improvements of the 650 and know that I will go in that direction at some point. Even with the memory issue.

So anyway, great forum you got here. I expect that I will learn a lot from you guys and I hope that I will contribute back to the forum as much as I take.

Cheers,
    E44
    Welcome to Treocentral. Many of your questions can be found in old threads. Use the search function, and you will be rewarded.

GSM model is expected to be available in late December and early January. So far, Sprint has always been the first carrier to introduce each new model of Treo.
    So far the going rumors are that the GSM 650 should arrive late this year or early 2005 with Orange in Europe probably the first GSM provider to get it. If I had to guess, sometime in January would be a likely...

Regarding the memory issue, there are several workarounds to this. The major problem is in regards to apps that use a large number of multiple small databases. The new NVFS on the 650 is not as efficient per se as older models and thus stores data in larger chunks than previously. Anyway, the gist is that the memory issue is troublesome but NOT a deal breaker imo, especially if you utilize 3rd party memory managers.

If I were you and had the patience to wait, I'ld probably just wait for the unlocked GSM 650 to be eventually released within the next month or so...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Re MEM...

I am back to full functioning apps and still have 13.5 available mem on ram. Thanks to Gfunks persistence about Powerrun. It seems Zlauncher is not as efecient and even caused some apps in RAM to not function. I thought the apps were not compatible with the new OS and NVFS, but they are up and running now after switching to PRPRPR

Thanks Gfunk! Its much better to love my treo again...
    Hey there! Welcome from another Treo user in beautiful BC!

I think at this point I would probably wait for the 650. It can't be that much longer. I suspect it will be some time around January or February in Canada. Although it did take Roger's a while with the 600 (hmmm). Roger's has Edge on most of their network and the 650 supports Edge. So your wireless web speeds with the 650 should be better than the 600. Although on my 600 on the 850 Mhz band, my data is pretty stable and speedy anyway.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    Hey there! Welcome from another Treo user in beautiful BC!

I think at this point I would probably wait for the 650. It can't be that much longer. I suspect it will be some time around January or February in Canada. Although it did take Roger's a while with the 600 (hmmm). Roger's has Edge on most of their network and the 650 supports Edge. So your wireless web speeds with the 650 should be better than the 600. Although on my 600 on the 850 Mhz band, my data is pretty stable and speedy anyway.

Thanks Mike, Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome and info...

Mike, when I shop for a GSM unlocked 650 for Rogers, is there a certain frequency that I would need or are all of the GSM's the same, so to speak?

Thanks again,
    E44

PS I am glad to see that the memory issue is being addressed quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo44
    Greetings All,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Please allow me to introduce myself. I am a 34 year old business professional in the IT/Health Care field and am new to the world of TREO.
    Welcome to the land of Treo!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo44
    Thanks Mike, Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome and info...

Mike, when I shop for a GSM unlocked 650 for Rogers, is there a certain frequency that I would need or are all of the GSM's the same, so to speak?

Thanks again,
    E44

PS I am glad to see that the memory issue is being addressed quickly.
    Nope. The phone is quad band. It supports all of the GSM frequencies. So no worries there. Since you are not getting the unit from Rogers, you will need to contact them in order to input the proper network settings for internet and SMS etc...