Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm just wondering if Real Player and Pocket Tunes will just play mp3's. How do you get MP3's now days? Everything I try and buy at Napster or other sites is in WMA or some other format. How can I find music to purchase for my 650?
    Purchase???
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
  3.    #3  
    I mean where can I download legal music in a format that will play with Real Player on the 650?
    If you're really into the Real Player, you can go to real.com and use their Real Rhapsody service.
    You can get software at places like downloads.cnet.com that will allow you to put your music CDs into your computer and "rip" them into MP3s. That is a good place to start. You can also download iTunes froim apple.com and use this both to rip your CDs and to buy music, as well as manage your collection.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Pocket Tunes will play wma files that you purchase from Napster, MSN, Walmart, Puretunes, and many other stores available online but not iTunes. It will also allow you to play WAV, OGG Vorbis and MP3 but not the AAC files you would download using iTunes.

If you wanted to use AAC files from iTunes you would need to burn the songs to CD and then rip them to mp3. I think this actually violates Apples user agreement but I don't know for sure. I am sure an Apple user will clarify.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
  8.    #8  
    Pocket Tunes sounds like the way to go. I have a few things in WMA already. Thanks everyone.
  9.    #9  
    I have Pocket Tunes Deluxe. I just tried a song downloaded from Wal-mart with no luck. Says it could be corrupt or restricted. Same thing with a song downloaded from Napster.
    Where does the pre-installed RealPlayer look for files? I have some MP3s in a \Music folder in the root of my SD Card, but it won't find them. Is Realplayer expecting a particular location?
    You can write you itunes aac songs to cd, but the current version of itunes knows it and won't let you reimport those protected songs. it must put an invisible file on the audio cd. so its become more complicated to get your itunes songs onto the treo.

I guess they really want you to have an ipod. I find it a little annoying, but I certainly understand Apple's reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeshur
    You can write you itunes aac songs to cd, but the current version of itunes knows it and won't let you reimport those protected songs. it must put an invisible file on the audio cd. so its become more complicated to get your itunes songs onto the treo.

I guess they really want you to have an ipod. I find it a little annoying, but I certainly understand Apple's reasons.
    Even if you burn these to the cd as a mp3's? Have they disabled that feature?

Clue
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    It could be that pocket tunes can't play music files that have DRM attached. Which is why you can't play purchased music. Check the ptunes website for details. BTW if this is the case than ptunes is not the way to go.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Quote Originally Posted by utey
    Pocket Tunes will play wma files that you purchase from Napster, MSN, Walmart, Puretunes, and many other stores available online but not iTunes. It will also allow you to play WAV, OGG Vorbis and MP3 but not the AAC files you would download using iTunes.

If you wanted to use AAC files from iTunes you would need to burn the songs to CD and then rip them to mp3. I think this actually violates Apples user agreement but I don't know for sure. I am sure an Apple user will clarify.
    Not to question you, but .wma files are .wma files. It shouldn't matter how you aquired them (except for the licensed ones). So just for clarification, the 650 will play .wma files? Correct?

For the original guy. I am using Kazaa (lite), a smaller application and I find every music file I need. It is fee based, I think like 12$ a year, making it legal.

Eric
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Here read this article.... http://www.normsoft.com/kb/idx/0/026/article/

Tells you how to play DRM music on pocket tunes.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Actually downloading music using Kazaa is still illegal. Whatever fee you are paying Kazaa does not grant you rights to download all the copyrighted music you want. You might be paying Kazaa not to flood your PC with ads.

The only legal way is to dl music using Napster, itunes, Real, MSN, or other online music stores. etc....

Napster has an all you can download monthly fee. It is kinda cool. As long as you subscribe you can download all you want. But pocket tunes is not supporting that yet. The newer windows smartphones are supporting this but then you would not have a Treo....
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Not to question you, but .wma files are .wma files. It shouldn't matter how you aquired them (except for the licensed ones). So just for clarification, the 650 will play .wma files? Correct?

For the original guy. I am using Kazaa (lite), a smaller application and I find every music file I need. It is fee based, I think like 12$ a year, making it legal.

Eric
    Umm, just because it's fee based it's far from legal. Those fees don't go to the artists. They go to the company that conned you into paying $12 to get something that you could have gotten for free if you looked around.
    I'm personally boycotting all the music stores until they come up with the following features:

1. I can get the music in any format I want. This isn't an unreasonable request because the costs with the music are associated with the music creation rights and process itself. Putting music in a specific digital format is essentially free.

2. I can sell the rights to the music I acquired to some third party. I can do this with CDs now. This should have to change.

And there's a bonus third one:

I should be able to bring in any album that I already own and get it in digital form. I've already paid for those rights once. For instance, I should be able to bring in an old vinyl into Tower Records and walk out with a DVD Audio for essentially some small fee of the remastering costs, plus the media costs, plus reasonable service mark-up. Probably about $3-4 at most. I don't think the artist needs to get another share of the pie in that scenario.
    Pocket Tunes does not yet play drm protected wma's, but is expected too within the next couple of months. For now you can burn it to a cd and then copy it back which is what I do with napster.
    You can convert .wma files to .mp3 files and back. There is a free program for this

http://www.download.com/dBpowerAmp-M...l?tag=lst-0-18

Works great!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast