1.    #1  
    Hello,

I had to install the new desktop software from the administrator account even though my personal account has administrator rights. When logged onto my person account hotsync will not run, no palm users are recognized etc. Anyone have any similar problems? (Works fine from the administrator account) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know if I can continue to sync my T3 with the new desktop software? Thanks
    Last edited by bluepalm; 11/23/2004 at 10:14 PM.
    You need to install the software using your personal account as long as it has admin rights. The T3 will work with the new desktop with no problems.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks none2one. When I install from my personal account I get an Error 1316. A network error occured when attempting to read from the file: C:\WINDOWS\INSTALLER \Palm desktop and synchronization software.msi
    It sounds like you have limited administration rights on your computer.
    It is common for companies to set limitations on the amount of administration you can do. Most likely what is happening is that you have rights to read/write to most locations on the computer but the software is trying to install or write to a file in a secured location. I have seen this at work with some programs that try to store and modify ini files in the Windows folder.
    The installation went fine with full administrator privledges but the application would fail when running for someone with limited admin privleges because the apps first task on opening is to try updating it's own INI file in the Windows folder and write access is not given there so the program errors out.

Check your account settings and I bet it is set to Power User rather than Administrator.
    Here at work we have 6 levels of Administrator access, each with certain extra restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by bluepalm
    Thanks none2one. When I install from my personal account I get an Error 1316. A network error occured when attempting to read from the file: C:\WINDOWS\INSTALLER \Palm desktop and synchronization software.msi
    I got the same error on my home pc using the treo 650 software installation CD. Any suggestions? There is only one user.
    Go into Control Panel and then Users and Passwords and check what rights your login ID has on your computer.
    If the computer is set to use a single account then you may not be getting a login prompt and the computer uses the default settings for that account.
    Otherwise you will have all ID's listed under the Users and Passwords menu.

Quote Originally Posted by cipher
    I got the same error on my home pc using the treo 650 software installation CD. Any suggestions? There is only one user.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Actually re-installed the Treo 600 software and then the 650 software could be installed. Don't understand why this worked, but it did.