1.    #1  
    Thought i would share attempted FRAUD experience my friend had selling his Treo 600 on Ebay, especially with anyone shipping Internationally, Phillipines in this case.

This bidder hacked a paypal account and sent payment to my friend, doing a Sunday payment, asking for Monday shipment. Knowing that there would be delay for hacked paypal account owner to notice fraudulent payment.

My friend even verified payment received by paypal and requested withdrawal before mailing Treo off. Until Monday morning when paypal withdrew the deposit, saying payee had reported improper payment and hacked account.

Luckily, my friend was fast enough to stop shipment out of country and held the package.

But i got a feeling this criminal may be out on ebay trying to pull the same scam.

So thought i should share story so everyone else here that may get an offer form international offer can take necessary precautions!!
    Quote Originally Posted by oclin627
    Thought i would share attempted FRAUD experience my friend had selling his Treo 600 on Ebay, especially with anyone shipping Internationally, Phillipines in this case.

This bidder hacked a paypal account and sent payment to my friend, doing a Sunday payment, asking for Monday shipment. Knowing that there would be delay for hacked paypal account owner to notice fraudulent payment.

My friend even verified payment received by paypal and requested withdrawal before mailing Treo off. Until Monday morning when paypal withdrew the deposit, saying payee had reported improper payment and hacked account.

Luckily, my friend was fast enough to stop shipment out of country and held the package.

But i got a feeling this criminal may be out on ebay trying to pull the same scam.

So thought i should share story so everyone else here that may get an offer form international offer can take necessary precautions!!

Good info...Thanks!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    There is always so a-hole that has to screw things up for everyone.
    The risk of being ripped off is much higher with international sales. I won't sell to any internationals with less than 20 positive feedback and more than one negative. I've never been burned, but have been close. Some pesky Canadians only paid 2/3 of the asking price... it arrived completely jacked up, so I didn't ask for the final 1/3rd so they could get it fixed.

Lesson #2: don't ship 200lb color laser printers through any customs agency!
    Hard lesson learned.

No ebay transactions specially purchases from Italy...
    I got this guy from philipines asking me to sell him my 600 for $600 and i tols him no cause cdma works only in the US!
    Smarty me!
    This very same experience happened to me and I lost 500 dollars.
    "Could I have been anyone other than me"
    -Dave Matthews Band"
    Maybe u americans gotta send an invoice to us clearly indicated that the price is in US dollars and u will only receive payment in US dollars.

If the canadian dollars becomes higher than the american dollar and those few 'pesky' canadians continue to send money as if they thought the price was in canadian dollars, u guys can start making extra profit.
    Whether he had 5 or 5000 positives it wouldn't matter much if it was a hijacked eBay account.[QUOTE=Ben Van Gaasbeek]The risk of being ripped off is much higher with international sales. I won't sell to any internationals with less than 20 positive feedback and more than one negative. [QUOTE]
    I think in this case it was just a hacked PayPal account not the eBay account but yes, it would not matter if it were the eBay account.

My PayPal account was hacked last spring. I have no idea how it was done but am certain it was on PayPal's end, not on my own. They made several purchases for several thousand dollars before I found the transactions. I do not use the PayPal account often so only noticed the problem when my bank sent me a notice of a $25. fee for being overdrawn in my account.

What saved me, and I would hope that all you sells out there would take this into consideration as well, the first transaction was for $1,100. Payment was made to the seller but the seller realized that the shipping address did not match the confirmed address on the account and refused the sale and refunded the money to my PayPal account. The second transaction at about $1,024. was still in process when I caught it and PayPal reversed it. Several days later both amounts were credited back to my account. The only loss was in that the money was converted to Pounds before making payment and when it was converted back to Dollars the pound had dropped in value and I lost about $30. in the conversion.
    My password was a 9 digit alpha/numeric non dictionary based password and it was not guessed at. My PC is behind a firewall and I frequently run spyware detection tools and anti-virus software just to be safe and have had no problems in that area so it is not likely a key-grabber program sending out my data. I really believe they found a way into the account through PayPal's system though you would never get PayPal to admit to that. They really should have covered the currency conversion loss but it would be a fight and I was just happy that the thousands of dollars had been returned. I even convinced my bank to credit back the $75. of overdraft fees they had charged when all my checks started bouncing due to the theft.

Pleas guys, when selling on eBay only accept sales with confirmed shipping addresses and you will be helping to prevent some of the fraud everyone in this thread is talking about.

[QUOTE=MisterEd]Whether he had 5 or 5000 positives it wouldn't matter much if it was a hijacked eBay account.[QUOTE=Ben Van Gaasbeek]The risk of being ripped off is much higher with international sales. I won't sell to any internationals with less than 20 positive feedback and more than one negative.