1.    #1  
    Anyone else have any dead pixels on their new Treo650?

I actually have two! One red and one blue right smack in the middle of the screen, only really visible when screen is dark (like taking a picture).

I just received it today from P1, so I assume I can get a swap?

Other than that, it's BEAUTIFUL!! Can't wait for 650 #2. lol

EDIT : ADDED PHOTOS, IT CAME OUT BETTER IN THE ONE ON THE LEFT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GADzilla; 11/23/2004 at 11:49 PM.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Thank god I don't have any. I can't say that about my iBook however.

It's an unfortunate fact of life with these screens. If P1's return policy (or Sprints?) is anything like Apple's, you are stuck with it. Apple is like dead pixel nazi's. You have to have like 15 + dead pixels for them to replace your screen.
    GADzilla, might want to check out this discussion, sounds like you're not the only one. Also sounds like it may not be the screen but the camera? Keep us updated with what you find.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=63273
    Itís not the camera....itís the LCD; especially if you can see that oneís red and the other blue.

A lot of times they'll only replace it if you have what they call "5 in a dime" or "5 in a line". Meaning what it says of course Ė 5 pixels within a dime sized area or 5 pixels within the same vertical/horizontal line (that are burned-out or "stuck" on a color).

I think the fine print on the phone coverage plan (for sprint anyhow), explicitly says that you can only swap out your phone twice.
  5.    #5  
    It's definitely the screen, not the camera. It can be seen easily on anything with a dark background, like the camera or the Zap game.

I'll try PalmOne first, and try to get a swap then try Sprint since Ihave insurance, but there's always the option just to cancel and reorder. Screw em if they don't wanna cooperate. If that doesn't work, it will accidentally get dropped into the tiolet and need replacing onder insurance.
    Treo 700p on Sprint
  6.    #6  
    In case anyone wants to take a look, I added photos to the top post. The one from Zap came out better, but it is equally visible all the time.
    Treo 700p on Sprint
  7.    #7  
    Just an update. I called PalmOne and after being bounced around for an hour and 15 minutes I finally got hooked up with someone who was able to get an overnight swap done for me. They never even asked what was wrong with it. Other than the wait, it was an awesome experience. Sprint should take lessons from these guys in Customer Service. Now we know where HighRollN95 gets it from!

Goin on T650 #2 baby! (I had 4 600's so I have plenty work still ahead of me)
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    I pre-ordered my Treo 650 and got it on Tuesday, November 23. I didn't notice any dead pixels when I got it. Thursday, I was at my brother's house, when I noticed a stuck blue pixel just to the right of center screen. Yep, I was mad.

I called PalmOne, and the first time, I got some foreigner who was obviously sitting halfway across the world. After I finished with her, she gave me a service number(?) and told me to call a 1-800 number. Then I realized this was the same number I called before.

I called again, picked sales, and told the sales guy to forward me to the place where I could exchange my Treo 650. I was forwarded straight to the right person. He said no problem, they would ship out a replacement overnight express free of charge. Included in the shipment would be a pre-paid label to send back the old one.

Talk about happy, and no down time. Palm's got my business.
  9.    #9  
    Same thing here. Got my replacement today (took a while longer cause of the holiday).
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    My replacement T650 showed up today. I quickly opened the package, inserted the battery, and powered the phone up. And to my great surprise, A STUCK PIXEL! This one is blue again, but further down on the screen. It showed up when I switched the color scheme to Midnight.

Oh well. I guess I'll call PalmOne tomorrow and try one more time. They must be shipping these T650's so fast they're not checking for obvious screen defects. A shame. Overall, I love the T650. I can see it will be one of those devices that I wondered how I lived without.

But, PalmOne, beware. The Samsung i730 is set to debut 1Q-05. With a compact form factor (looks much smaller than the PPC6601) and sliding keyboard, it will definitely compete head to head with the Treo 650. Plus it will have a megapixel camera, Wi-Fi, possibly Bluetooth, and most importantly, EV-DO! About the only downside is the screen is still 320x240. But, I can live with that.

If worse comes to worse, I'll pass my Treo 650 down to my wife, and spring for the i730 (that is if it comes to Sprint like promised).

Come on PalmOne, let's keep quality control under control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest790
    But, PalmOne, beware. The Samsung i730 is set to debut 1Q-05. With a compact form factor (looks much smaller than the PPC6601) and sliding keyboard, it will definitely compete head to head with the Treo 650.

{snip}
    Come on PalmOne, let's keep quality control under control.
    *laughs out loud uncontrollably*

You call on PalmOne to tighten up quality, and then threaten them with a Samsung?

*laughs again for half an hour and then nearly passes out before recovering*

Obviously you have not used a Samsung phone before. Samsung makes wonderful appliances, and they even make excellent display systems. I should know: I have a Samsung refrigerator and and I'm viewing this through a Samsung SyncMaster 910T right now. Both are excellent products.

Unfortunately, their cellphone division sucks. I have sampled the N200 N400, the A500, the VGA1000, the i300, the i330 and the i400, basically tried these phones out briefly over three years. All were horrible, consistently bad quality over those three years, and every phone I tried was sent back and traded for a Sanyo. Signal holding ability was awful, sound quality was atrocious, and forget about power management. I knew I was in trouble when the N400/A500/VGA1000 phones I tried would have their screen and backlights flicker whenever a call was initiated because the phones simply could not balance power when an event as mundane as turning on the CDMA transmitter to place a call occurred.

And have you ever found yourself repeatedly dropping calls even when you're parked in front of the cell tower, with a full four bars of signal strength? I have... while trying out a Samsung.

I agree that PalmOne should tighten QC a little. I guess I lucked out; no bad pixels on my phone's screen and mine hasn't died yet even though my phone-of-the-phone always takes a heavy beating. But even with P1's shortcomings, their QC is pristine comapred to that of Samsung.

Now if Sanyo made a PalmOS based smartphone, PalmOne would have a serious competitor on their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    ....Unfortunately, their cellphone division sucks....
    Now if Sanyo made a PalmOS based smartphone, PalmOne would have a serious competitor on their hands.

Amen.
    yep.

You call on PalmOne to tighten up quality, and then threaten them with a Samsung?

Obviously you have not used a Samsung phone before. Samsung makes wonderful appliances, and they even make excellent display systems. I should know: I have a Samsung refrigerator and and I'm viewing this through a Samsung SyncMaster 910T right now. Both are excellent products.

Unfortunately, their cellphone division sucks. I have sampled the N200 N400, the A500, the VGA1000, the i300, the i330 and the i400, basically tried these phones out briefly over three years. All were horrible, consistently bad quality over those three years, and every phone I tried was sent back and traded for a Sanyo. Signal holding ability was awful, sound quality was atrocious, and forget about power management. I knew I was in trouble when the N400/A500/VGA1000 phones I tried would have their screen and backlights flicker whenever a call was initiated because the phones simply could not balance power when an event as mundane as turning on the CDMA transmitter to place a call occurred.

And have you ever found yourself repeatedly dropping calls even when you're parked in front of the cell tower, with a full four bars of signal strength? I have... while trying out a Samsung.

I agree that PalmOne should tighten QC a little. I guess I lucked out; no bad pixels on my phone's screen and mine hasn't died yet even though my phone-of-the-phone always takes a heavy beating. But even with P1's shortcomings, their QC is pristine comapred to that of Samsung.

I've owned five Samsung phones over the years. V205, S305, i500, N400, D415 and have never had any problems with them. I find Samsung's quality to be top notch.
    I owned a Samsung A600 prior to the Treo and it was awesome! I'm considering the i550 whenever it is released, especially if the problems plaguing the 650 is not resolved or adequately addressed.

I realize the Treo is a "smart" phone but it is a long way from being flawless.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre

I too wish that Sanyo made a smartphone. I think it would be a very serious competitor. However, even Sanyo's as of late have been plagued by bugs in their phones. I own a VM4500, and it had the infamous redialing bug. So even Sanyo has its share of problems.

Samsung has come a long way over the years.

1. Fact: Samsung is posed to overtake Motorola as the 2nd largest cell phone producing company in the world. Hard to believe from some who swear it's a bad product.

2. Samsung is one of the largest producers of LCD flat panels. Their expertise in this field is why you have some of the best LCD panels in cell phones today. I can assure you, it's not Nokia making all of those LCD panels.

3. Samsung is an innovator in the cell phone business. They have the world's first working 5 megapixel phone camera. Not Sanyo, Nokia, Motorola, or anyone else has this.

4. They are currently the largest manufacturer of EV-DO phones in the world. They produce many models for the Korean CDMA market. Many have been available for some time.

Early Samsung phones had some problems, but today, most people are very happy with their phones. I for one, think PalmOne is doing a fairly good job in the smartphone business. I just think that they rushed the Treo 650 in that product defects are becoming very common (at least in my case). Over time, the Treo 650 will get the bugs ironed out, and it will be probably PalmOne's most successful smartphone in the upcoming years. I do think however, that there are a lot of competitors to the smartphone market today. HP has entered the market with their Pocket PC smartphone. And yes, I still say that Samsung will be competing very closely with PalmOne with its i730 Pocket PC, i640 MS Smartphone, and the i550 Palm OS Smartphone. To dismiss these as "garbage" would be a critical mistake for PalmOne. To me, competition is healthy for the consumer market. I like choices. And in the near future, while I have every intention of keeping my Treo 650, I will be checking out other products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest790
    Samsung has come a long way over the years.

1. Fact: Samsung is posed to overtake Motorola as the 2nd largest cell phone producing company in the world. Hard to believe from some who swear it's a bad product.
    Perfectly believeable that a company can produce bad products and still be viable. Look at Microsoft.

The problem here is that the mass market wants cheap, disposable toys, which is what Samsung's handset division excels at. We in this particular community want dependable smartphones.

2. Samsung is one of the largest producers of LCD flat panels. Their expertise in this field is why you have some of the best LCD panels in cell phones today. I can assure you, it's not Nokia making all of those LCD panels.
    If you read my original post even on a cursory basis, you would see that I was the first to acknowledge that. Samsung has a fine LCD display division (Dell LCD panels are made by Samsung), as well as a fine entertainment products division and a fine home appliance division. I've even heard from friends in Europe and Asia that Samsung made excellent cars, too, before Daewoo purchased the division and drove it to bankruptcy. However, Samsung is a large conglomerate, and excellent performance in one or even several divisions does not mean that all divisions will follow through. No company bats a thousand, and Samsung's handset division is proof of that.

3. Samsung is an innovator in the cell phone business. They have the world's first working 5 megapixel phone camera. Not Sanyo, Nokia, Motorola, or anyone else has this.
    Why isn't it in my hand then?

4. They are currently the largest manufacturer of EV-DO phones in the world. They produce many models for the Korean CDMA market. Many have been available for some time.
    See my corollary to #1. Even cheaply constructed, disposable toys can be laden in gold. That doesn't make the quality or durability any better.
    I just found a dead pixel, red, towards the top-left of my screen. In fact you can see it when the first icon is highlighted on the Home screen.

Now, it does bother me, but not that much. Should I wait until PalmOne does a software/hardware change before ordering a replacement to minimize the chances of this happening again; or should I ask for a replacement right away since I've only had the Treo less than a week and haven't dropped it?

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.