Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    I would like to use my Gmail accounts since they have 1GB of space and are my main mailboxes. I would also like to keep track of what I sent via the Treo in my Gmail account. Here is what I have setup...

I setup a Gmail account: G1
    I setup a Fastmail account: F1
    I setup a Chatter mailbox: C1

G1 forwards mail to account F1

I use Chatter to get emails from F1.
    When I respond, I have Chatter BCC my G1 account via the SMTP profile.

I setup my G1 to "archive" anything sent from itself (since Chatter will use the G1 address setting in SMTP profile. I do this via the Google filters.

This way all my sent mail is saved to my gmail account too!

I just wish Google would let me move the mail to the sent folder instead of archiving it.

Is this overkill or does someone have a better way to do this?
    What would be helpful is if Gmail could somehow save that sent mail from Chatter as part of the conversation thread rather than the archive or sent mail folder.
    You realize that when Chatter BCC's the gmail addy it will forward the email back to your Fastmail again. That won't work
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  4.    #4  
    Actually 100thMonkey, it seems that the filters work before the forwarding does. So the mail gets moved to the archive folder first... and since its not in the inbox anymore, it does not get forwarded. I was thinking along the lines you were, too, but after trying it out, it works!

Thanks for the feed back!
  5.    #5  
    Also, of course, if and when Gmail support IMAP, we would be in heaven with Chatter...

I am also thinking of doing the same setup above with my work Exchange accounts. Only that Exchange will show all messages coming from me instead of like Gmail where its coming from the original sender. I have to do this because our company is pretty tight with letting anything in or out of their systems! I can't even check personal mail from inside the network!
    fair enough

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

7.    #7  
    Okay... I haven't tried this yet but I just read on another site that if you use Gmail's smtp server to send email, then Gmail will save a copy in the sent mailbox... meaning that if this works, no need to use BCC!

I'll try when I get a chance and if this works, then we'll have a total gmail to FM to Chatter solution for email on the Treo!
  8.    #8  
    Just an update... for some reason I have been having trouble using GMail's smtp service. I does not want to work even with Outlook and other clients. I think its on Gmail's end so I'll need to wait.

Anyonw out there got Gmail smtp to work?

BTW: I just got a Treo 650! I am going to load Chatter on and see if it works!
    your wireless carrier might require you to use their smtp server rather than GMail's

Quote Originally Posted by meonline
    Okay... I haven't tried this yet but I just read on another site that if you use Gmail's smtp server to send email, then Gmail will save a copy in the sent mailbox... meaning that if this works, no need to use BCC!

I'll try when I get a chance and if this works, then we'll have a total gmail to FM to Chatter solution for email on the Treo!
    yes, if you use Gmail's smtp server to send mail, it will save a copy in your sent items on the web. And if you send an email from the web you will receive a new mail in snappermail or whatever mail client from yourself with the sent message.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the feedback.

I got the 650 and loaded Chatter up. The pull (or should I say sync??) from fastmail IMAP is perfect. All messages going to the gmail account is forwarded to fastmail and show up almost instantly on Chatter!

I seem to still be having trouble setting up SMTP for Gmail on Chatter. I tried the follwing setups:

First senerio:
    Server: smtp.gmail.com
    Login: account@gmail.com
    Password: XXXX
    SSL: "checked"
    TLS "not checked"

NO GO!

Next senerio:
    Server: smtp.gmail.com
    Login: account@gmail.com
    Password: XXXX
    ssl: "not checked"
    TLS "checked"

Still no go.

Then I tried server name of smtp.gmail.com:465 and also with 587.

No GO!

Anyone got this to work???
    I've never tried GMAIL with Chatter; did you try without SSL/TLS (both unchecked)?

Marc
  13.    #13  
    I treid both ways. Sometimes I get an error stating the there was an unknown authentication method used. And at other times Chatter would just show "cnt" then "Ath" and back and forth.

I think there may be an issue with Gmail but not sure.
  14.    #14  
    Marc,
    I just created a log with the error. Would you like to see it?
    Sure.
  16.    #16  
    Marc,
    FYI, just sent you the file.

Thanks!
  17.    #17  
    Hi Marc,
    Just curious, any revelations on this?
    I don't remember, honestly. Didn't I respond when I got it (I'm usually very good at this, but sometimes my brain has a short-circuit). Do you still have that log?

I seem to recall that GMAIL doesn't handle the typical AUTH LOGIN style of authentication, though.

Marc
  19.    #19  
    You did respond but said you would look into it. I know your busy but if you get a change, this would be a great solution for a lot of us folks who want to use Chatter!
    Ok.

Marc
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast