Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Datebook5 allows you to see Tasks that are due or past due. Under the Preferences, you can check the box for "Hide Completed Items".
    Organizing Your Tasks

In the Tasks list, select one of these options:

All- displays all your tasks

Date- displays tasks that are due in a specific time frame. Select the pick list in the upper-right to select Due Today, Last 7 Days, Next 7 Days, or Past Due

read the manual more carefully, task does exactly what you want it to do
    Last edited by Franko515; 04/02/2005 at 02:00 PM. Reason: From my earlier post
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    No, Franko515, it doesn't.

What I (and others) are looking for is a way to simultaneously show due *and* past due tasks in a single list. This was possible on the Treo 600 (and previous Treos and Palms), but is no longer possible with the Treo 650.

(I'm looking into Datebook5 as an alternative.)
    Show Due Dates- displays task due dates and inserts an exclamation point
    (!) next to overdue tasks. Turning on this option also enables you to select
    the due date in the Tasks list to pick a new date.
    pg 90 maual

this shows both due and past due(past due is shown with an !)

hope this helps

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I think Franko is right. If you do not check "show completed tasks" in the preferences in the task app, then your task list will only show uncompleted tasks.

Then, (still in tasks) you choose the "all" tab, you get all tasks, past present and future, sorted by date (assuming you chose sort by "due date, priority" in preferences).

Or, you can choose the "Date" tab in tasks, and select "Last 7 days", and that will show only past due and due today items, sorted by the date you assigned them.

Is that what you want it to do?

Clue
    Ahhhhhhhhhh someone does understand me.

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    What they want though is the ability to hide all tasks that have not come due yet, and I dont see how they can do this, but I honestly don't see why this is an issue, except maybe for aesthetics.

The 'by date' option does not work for tasks that are more than 7 days old, and the 'all' option includes furture tasks. They want either a 'by date' option more than 7 days old, or an 'all' option with future tasks hidden.
    khronos,

they are not trying to do what you explained read the thread(from the beginning) task does do what they want they just dont know it

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    No, Franko515, khronos is right. What we're looking for is exactly what he said. A way to view all uncompleted, due and overdue tasks. The 7 days option comes close, but it's not perfect (I sometimes have uncompleted tasks older than 7 days -- sometiems for perfectly legit reasons!), and it's not what the program used to offer.

Thanks for tryin to help on this.
    dbrogan,

I see what you're saying. You don't want to see future to tasks, and sometimes you have tasks more than 7 days overdue.

Of course, if I were a Palm apologist, I would say, "you shouldn't have any tasks that are more than 7 days overdue"

Clue
    Do you think it is possible to somehow grab the old "todo" application from a older palm device and use it on the treo with the old behavior we are used to?

It should use the same database as the new task application, just not support the new functionality like repeating and alarms. To me, having the old "show only due items" functionality is more important than the alarms and the repeating functions.
    Not me. I was dying for alarms on tasks/to-do's.
  13.    #33  
    Let me clarify. I want tasks to function like the old to-do app did on the Vx, and like the Palm DESKTOP still does even on the 650. In other words, to show only due and past due items, in order of priority.

I have managed to get accustomed to the 650's task app in the manner suggested by Frank, but it is just not as efficient. This is primarily due to the fact that, when viewing "Due Today" or "Past Due" the tasks are listed by DATE they come/came due rather than priority. As I said, the Desktop still performs perfectly but P1, in its infinite wisdom, has removed this capability from the handheld.
    Jaharr,

How about going to prefs in tasks and choosing sort by "priority, due date", and then in the main app chose the "date" tab. Then choose "last 7 days". I think it should do what you want, with the exception of tasks older than 7 days.
  15.    #35  
    Thanks Clue, that's really close except, as you point out, I lose tasks older than 7 days. A problem for me. Why it doesn't just mimic the desktop I'm not sure.
    Sorry man i gave it a shot, hope i helped a little

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    You could try building the sample To Do application from the Palm OS 5.4 SDK, included with the Palm OS Developer Suite, which has the old correct behavior. It works on a TX, though at 320x320 rather than 320x480, which won't matter on a Treo.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaSheridn
    You could try building the sample To Do application from the Palm OS 5.4 SDK, included with the Palm OS Developer Suite, which has the old correct behavior. It works on a TX, though at 320x320 rather than 320x480, which won't matter on a Treo.
    Huh? That may be beyond my tech skills. Any way to explain in lay terms an average schmoe like me could understand? By the way, you may only have posted once but you sure don't walk & talk like a newbie.
    Ihad the same issue going from a Treo 180 to the 650. Datebook solves the problem and works great.

Worth every penny.

http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5.htm
    The Palm OS Developer Suite is a free download at http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/dev_suite.html; it lets you build Palm OS applications. (There are alternatives, both open source and commercial, but PODS is probably the easiest.) It has a tutorial on importing and building projects, so it would be a good introduction to Palm OS programming. If that's too difficult, I'll see if there's any objection to my posting the build I did myself. I think the sample code licensee allows anybody at all to post applications built from it, but I need to double-check.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast