1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

My 650 will be arriving today, and I'm looking for a good, relatively inexpensive bluetooth stereo headphone/microphone product. I also have a few questions about how they would operate with my specific devices.

So far, the only stereo headphone/mic combo that I have found is the Bluetake i-PHONO BT420EX (http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT420EX.htm). First of all, has anyone used this product, and if so, do you have any opinions on it? Since the Bluetake is so pricy, I would also like to know if there are any other similar, cheaper products available.

Now, as for implementation, I know that the 650 doesn't support Bluetooth audio, so I would need to use a dongle if I wanted to listen to music via Bluetooth with the 650. However, I have a Bluetooth-enabled laptop that I would actually prefer to use for MP3 playback, so the dongle issue may be a moot point. What I would like to do is play MP3s via Bluetooth from my laptop, while still being able to answer calls from the 650. Preferably, there would be an audible alert of some sort sent through the headphones to interrupt the music and let me know I have a call. However, I have no idea if and how this will work. Can some of you more knowledgable BT users tell me if this is even feasible, or if I should go about this a different way?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I am very interested in this as well. I'd be interested in hooking up the dongle to the Rio Karma for music but being able to pick up calls with the Headset and treo.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threetee
    Hi everyone,

My 650 will be arriving today, and I'm looking for a good, relatively inexpensive bluetooth stereo headphone/microphone product. I also have a few questions about how they would operate with my specific devices.

So far, the only stereo headphone/mic combo that I have found is the Bluetake i-PHONO BT420EX (http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT420EX.htm). First of all, has anyone used this product, and if so, do you have any opinions on it? Since the Bluetake is so pricy, I would also like to know if there are any other similar, cheaper products available.

Now, as for implementation, I know that the 650 doesn't support Bluetooth audio, so I would need to use a dongle if I wanted to listen to music via Bluetooth with the 650. However, I have a Bluetooth-enabled laptop that I would actually prefer to use for MP3 playback, so the dongle issue may be a moot point. What I would like to do is play MP3s via Bluetooth from my laptop, while still being able to answer calls from the 650. Preferably, there would be an audible alert of some sort sent through the headphones to interrupt the music and let me know I have a call. However, I have no idea if and how this will work. Can some of you more knowledgable BT users tell me if this is even feasible, or if I should go about this a different way?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    I couldn't find any info on pricing or ordering on the web site.
    Could you fill us in on the price?
    The BlueTake headphone/headset is $200...
    Looks like the device has to support the A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) to provide stereo audio. I doubt the Treo is going to support this in this release (older bluetooth chip I think). I could be wrong though.

Does anyone have a list or link to the list of profiles the T650 will support out of the box?
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Looks like the device has to support the A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) to provide stereo audio. I doubt the Treo is going to support this in this release (older bluetooth chip I think). I could be wrong though.
    On the contary, my understanding is that the BT430 dongle, which is packaged with the BT420 headset already provides the A2DP support that is necessary to enable virtually any audio device (i.e, Treo 600, Treo 650, iPod, etc.) to transfer its stereo audio signal cordlessly to BT420 headset which of course also supports A2DP.

Additionally, if you don't like the BT420 headset, you can take the BT430 dongle and use it with another BT headset which supports A2DP.

Does anyone have a list or link to the list of profiles the T650 will support out of the box?
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(18358)
  7.    #7  

You are correct: as I said in my original post, the 650 doesn't support Bluetooth audio. Here's a link that describes the Bluetooth profiles that the 650 does support:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=18358
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    On the contary, my understanding is that the BT430 dongle, which is packaged with the BT420 headset already provides the A2DP support that is necessary to enable virtually any audio device (i.e, Treo 600, Treo 650, iPod, etc.) to transfer its stereo audio signal cordlessly to BT420 headset which of course also supports A2DP.

Additionally, if you don't like the BT420 headset, you can take the BT430 dongle and use it with another BT headset which supports A2DP.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(18358)
    Yeah but I could do that now with a 600 if I want to use a dongle. What I think the original poster wanted was to be able to use the Stereo headphones without a dongle using the built in bluetooth functionality of the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by threetee
    You are correct: as I said in my original post, the 650 doesn't support Bluetooth audio. Here's a link that describes the Bluetooth profiles that the 650 does support:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=18358
    I like the statements at the bottom of the page from this link:

Treo 650's Bluetooth implementation does not support these Bluetooth profiles:

HID (Human Interface Device: connect to Bluetooth keyboard and other input devices)
    FTP (File Transfer Profile: appears as external hard drive on a Windows or Mac computer)
    A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution: playing music wirelessly. This is Bluetooth 1.2, and the Treo 650 smartphone is Bluetooth 1.1)
    All other Bluetooth profiles not specifically listed above
    Will Treo 650 be upgradeable to Bluetooth 1.2?
    At this time, there are no plans to upgrade the Bluetooth technology in the Treo 650 smartphone to version 1.2.

Does this imply that they could upgrade to BT 1.2 with a firmware update but are too lazy, or that they can't upgrade to BT 1.2 because it is impossible with the chipset used?

Anyone know which BT chipset they are using? I would like to see what this thing is capable of if PalmOne weren't so anti-BT.
    Nevermind. I found it using the search. Using the Broadcom 2035. Broadcom just released the updated software to make this chip BT1.2.

Broadcom Press Release

So the chip can support it, but PalmOne likely wont update the OS to support it.
  11.    #11  
    I did a little googling and found another product. Unfortunately, this one retails for $239, so it's in the same $200+ range as the Bluetake headphones, but at least I'm finding some alternatives. Here's the link:

http://www.sonorix.com/%7Etven/eng/p...roduct_bap.php
    These seem to have more features than the previous ones listed. They don't mention the BT requirements other than saying they will work with BT1.1. They don't say they will work in stereo BT1.1. I would need better info before I would say that they would work with the 650 with no mods or without a dongle.
    I've been dealing with this A2DP dilemma for a long time. As I understand, both the Bluetake and the Sonorix will work in MONO mode without the use of the A2DP profile, which is in BT1.2.

In order for either to work in stereo mode, you need the profile, which rules out almost every single device I know of. Does anyone know of a device that SUPPORTS A2DP? Yeah, the dongle is great, but you can make your old sony walkman do the same thing. I'd be great to use the t650's integrated BT.

Also, the Sonorix headset looks kind of cheap. I haven't seen any reviews of it. In fact, on their site they used to link to some woman's blog that merely mentioned it in passing, and that's somehow supposed to be "a review." Crappy PRPRPR, $at$ $the$ $very$ $least$.

Cheers,
    --WK.
    "Can Jesus cook a burrito so hot that He Himself cannot eat it?"
    Nevermind. I found it using the search. Using the Broadcom 2035. Broadcom just released the updated software to make this chip BT1.2.

Broadcom Press Release

So the chip can support it, but PalmOne likely wont update the OS to support it.
    What would it take for Palm1 to upgrade to the new Broadcom stack? Maybe if we all ask Palm1 for AADP support...

Also, will Palm1 support the developers that are trying to write new profiles?
    I think it would take a flash of the broadcom chip for it to support the new profiles and the Adaptive Frequency Hopping (AFH). Once this is done, the OS itself would likely need to be moddified to use the A2DP profile when it detects an A2DP compatible device that is paired with it. Then it would need to route music that would have gone over the headphone jack over bluetooth. Sounds kinda trivial, but I bet it would be very complicated for PalmOne to do. I got the impressions from the roadshow that they do not have a huge Eningeering staff and that a lot of resources are being put toward a 700 that will have WiFi. They will have to use BT 1.2 if they are to integrate WiFi into the future Treo for the AFH that will allow BT to skip over frequencies being used by WiFi.