Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone write an app to use the Treo's camera to capture/scan a product's barcode and then access online information, like at Amazon.com to build a Christmas (or any kind of shopping) list with item names and prices?

This could also be used to build a catalog or even an inventory - all in a handheld device you could just walk around the house with (or place of business). Snap a picture of the bar code on your book or CD or video or video game... or whatever, and then the Treo processes that barcode graphic into ID numbers, then seeks out a match on any online site and assembles the item's title and author, etc. You could then, I suppose, maybe even snap a picture of that item as a whole for a visual reference in that list or database.

Conceivably, a "killer application".
    Last edited by archie; 11/23/2004 at 03:58 PM.
    That scanzoom looks interesting although I have not seen it work with a Treo, although it seems possible. I have had experience with the following 3 solutions:

Socket's SDIO Bar Code scanner works http://www.socketcom.com/product/IS5300-464.asp and Sumware http://www.sumwarecorp.com/ has done a great job of integrating it.

Rovenet http://www.rovenet.com/ allows you to creat a form in MS Word and have a bar code as a field and then email you the .csv of the results.

For those who have bluetooth (650), Baracoda http://www.baracoda.com/baracoda/pro...s_category.php has an entire line of Bluetootch scanners that will work with the 650 and palmOne, Bluetooth enabled handhelds (Tungsten T2,T3, Zire 72, T5).
    Another company that does amazing things with barcodes on the Treo and other handhelds is http://www.baracoda.com/baracoda/pro...s_category.php

PalmLover
    Scanzoom has a demo app for $20 that looks up books with pricegrabber. Comes with a lense (macro?). Only lists the Treo 600 GSM, maybe the 650 could do it without the lense. $500 if you want to buy the libraries.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Can someone write an app to use the Treo's camera to capture/scan a product's barcode...
    http://treoware.free.fr/barcode_screenshot.jpg

This is definitely possible, available soon (and free!).
    Barcode/13 for Treo600 and Treo650.

Regards, Jean-Francois.
    excuse my ignorance,but what would you need a barcode scanner on the t650 for??if i'm in a store icould I scan an item to check the price,what is a practical use for it??
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Quote Originally Posted by JFMw
    http://treoware.free.fr/barcode_screenshot.jpg

This is definitely possible, available soon (and free!).
    Barcode/13 for Treo600 and Treo650.

Regards, Jean-Francois.
    It is available now at PalmGear.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503
    excuse my ignorance,but what would you need a barcode scanner on the t650 for??if i'm in a store icould I scan an item to check the price,what is a practical use for it??
    You can scan your CDs and DVDs, and then have the full author, title and covers retrieved from an Internet connexion, or you can check a bookprice with Amazon... You can also manage your wine cave: take a bottle, scan the barcode and press '-' to remove it in your inventory. These are just a few example of what kind of application you could get with a barcode scanner.

My need was for wine inventory. When I take a bottle in my cave, I never take the time to modify my inventory, so this inventory is useless. If I could just scan a bottle to add or remove an item, it would be much more convenient. I've looked around, and was disappointed when I found I would pay $x00.00 for a barcode scanner! (not that it doesn't worth it, but it's much too expensive just to add/remove items in a wine cave manager for a non-professionnal use). So, I've made a free barcode scanner...

Jean-Francois.
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896
    It is available now at PalmGear.
    Sorry, looks like one of those "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" deals. It was there 2 hours ago!
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Yep it's gone...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    MyTreo.Net has it:

http://www.mytreo.net/downloads/deta...l?Barcode%2F13

(my treo has no camera, so I can't test it )

Dana
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael355
    Yep it's gone...
    It's back

I was waiting for beta test reports and Mytreo's exclusive news.
    Now you can find it @ Mytreo.net, PalmGear and Handango.
    Cheers, Jean-Francois.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    How do we find the clipboard on the Treo 650? I have Barcode13 on my treo 650 and I can't find the clipboard where all the barcodes I scanned are stored.
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    How do we find the clipboard on the Treo 650? I have Barcode13 on my treo 650 and I can't find the clipboard where all the barcodes I scanned are stored.
    For example launch the Memo application, create a new memo, open menu and select paste in the edit menu. That will copy your barcode in your memo. This cut/copy/paste is the system clipboard, any application might let you paste a scanned parcode into text fields. Of course, if an application is integrated with Barcode/13 the developer might automatically retrieve the clipboard content without requiring the user to do it manually. I've chosen clipboard exchange with other applications because it is the most standard solution, and a very easy one (developers would have to write only 1 line to read the barcode from the clipboard, I can't find easier!).

Cheers, Jean-Francois.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503
    In case you are still wondering.. It uses the camera in the Treo to capture the barcode image. I guess it does some image processing after that to generate the code and stire it in the clipboard.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I have a separate question, tied to the Barcode application:

What is the best inventory program that uses barcode information? I want to start logging my CD's and book collection. It will be nice if I could avoid having to type in the titles, etc.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    ive tried to scan like 30 different items and it hasnt got 1 right yet, tried zoomed unzoomed, light no light, dont know how to get it to work properly
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JFMw
    For example launch the Memo application, create a new memo, open menu and select paste in the edit menu. That will copy your barcode in your memo. This cut/copy/paste is the system clipboard, any application might let you paste a scanned parcode into text fields. Of course, if an application is integrated with Barcode/13 the developer might automatically retrieve the clipboard content without requiring the user to do it manually. I've chosen clipboard exchange with other applications because it is the most standard solution, and a very easy one (developers would have to write only 1 line to read the barcode from the clipboard, I can't find easier!).

Cheers, Jean-Francois.
    Thanks.
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    works near perfect for me on my 650.. instead of pressing capture, I give it the first digit.. seems to help out a bit. I wish it was faster, but still.. nifty nifty app (now, can other app makers integrate into this so it can become useful?)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by HumP
    ive tried to scan like 30 different items and it hasnt got 1 right yet, tried zoomed unzoomed, light no light, dont know how to get it to work properly
    same here, i tried everything - DVDs, stick of deodorant, pack of cigarettes, its way off
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast