Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I have a separate question, tied to the Barcode application:

What is the best inventory program that uses barcode information? I want to start logging my CD's and book collection. It will be nice if I could avoid having to type in the titles, etc.
    i use library, and love it.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Go ahead .. rub it in :-)

I want something like that for the Treo/Windows XP.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow
    same here, i tried everything - DVDs, stick of deodorant, pack of cigarettes, its way off
    Pack of cigarettes are EAN-8 (8 digits barcode), not EAN-13: can't work.

Barcode must be with digits on the bottom, not upside/down (barcode scanners are supposed to recognize this... but obviously it would take 2x more time to analyse the picture to do so). You can print the tutorial, 2 barcodes are available and easy to scan. If you have a large barcode put it in the large target (Barcode/13 will read the "green line" of the target), if you have a small barcode use the small target. Be sure to have a uniform light on your barcode (no shade, and same light for all the barcode), and definitely don't move while scanning the barcode...

Cheers, Jean-Francois.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I scANNED MY DOG AND IT GAVE ME A BUNCH OF NUMBERS. LOL
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    I've got got a proper capture yet -- but the idea rocks. Having to hold the treo so far away seems to just be a sacrifice of resolution -- If I hold the treo at, say, 2 inches away, the individual bars are much more readable on a standard image, perhaps increasing the size of the green bar might help (so that its not such a small area?)

Thanks for a great idea though - can't wait for it to work.
    I tried a few times and it worked twice. This is a great idea but I think its a problem of the camera lens. At close range it doesn't focus well and at longer range the barcode starts to blend together. It worked best when I had the most light possible on the barcode.
    Quote Originally Posted by rizwankassim
    I've got got a proper capture yet -- but the idea rocks. Having to hold the treo so far away seems to just be a sacrifice of resolution -- If I hold the treo at, say, 2 inches away, the individual bars are much more readable on a standard image, perhaps increasing the size of the green bar might help (so that its not such a small area?)
    Yeah, I think this makes sense. Even if the Treo can't focus well at that distance, I think the picture overall will be clearer than farther away, especially if you can't hold the Treo steady.
    This is a great idea, but i think my 650 cannot focus on the images...the bars are fuzzy...have checked that the lens is clean and everything....

JFMw, maybe increasing the size of the RED box would be a better idea since it would allow more pixels to be used for the image processing.
    I think performance of Barcode/13 depends on the focus of the camera. The Treo650 camera has a fixed focus camera and doesn't focus up close very well. Seems to have better focus on different areas of the camera. Also different cameras seem to be different.
    It would be really nice if the Treo could focus up close (for scanning bar codes or to take pics of business cards, an address on an envelope, etc).

It might help if Barcode/13 would allow you to move the target area to a different part of the screen. For sure it would help if the image was captured when you press the button not a second or so later after it zooms in (this may be a function of the Treo since the built in camera app has this same delay)

My only question with this app. is why doesn't it check the checksum of the bar code (or at least indicate the bar code checksum is not correct - this could be an option). Doesn't do much good if you have to verify every digit of a barcode may as well just type it in. Confirmed accuracy is a primary motive for the use of Barcodes.

Nice App. none the less.
    Digging this out after over a year.

I'm trying to put together an inventory tracking system. Ideally I'd like to use the Treo to scan everything and have a master database of all assets as well as site databases for all of the assets at a particular site. Then as things move around we'd scan them in/out of a location and then in/out of the other location. I had hopes that Barcode/13 would help so we don't get to get SDIO scanners, but my 700p's images are really blurry and the app isn't reading the barcodes correctly. I'm also hoping to use custom barcodes, preferably in Code 128.
    Hi Cool Cat

I'm trying to integrate something like that in my treo application too. But the Barcode/13 just won't work as the camera on treo doesn't have good resolution and it doesn't have auto-focus either.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12