Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do people actually read these. They clearly state that this is for the Coupon only yet the bidding is up over $600.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...732629829&rd=1
    Unreal...

It is interesting that one bidder retracted their bid a couple days ago because the description changed...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    In fairness to the zealous bidders, the listing looks like an actual phone is being sold. It's only in the description that you discover the means by which you will receive your phone.

on the other hand, given that you can get your own 650 for $650, the $690 bid is that much more funny.
    Who is willing to spend $600 or more without reading the description?
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    In fairness to the zealous bidders, the listing looks like an actual phone is being sold. It's only in the description that you discover the means by which you will receive your phone.

on the other hand, given that you can get your own 650 for $650, the $690 bid is that much more funny.

Good god. I couldn't help myself, but I had to send an email to that guy and tell him he has a responsibility to tell his highest bidder that they are not getting a phone. Then on the other hand, maybe the ***** that is bidding deserves it. Afterall, who ever bids on an item on Ebay without first researching the item itself from the vendor.
    Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Good god. I couldn't help myself, but I had to send an email to that guy and tell him he has a responsibility to tell his highest bidder that they are not getting a phone. Then on the other hand, maybe the ***** that is bidding deserves it. Afterall, who ever bids on an item on Ebay without first researching the item itself from the vendor.
    Eric
    Caveat Emptor
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    This is too funny!!!

I'd love to see the look on the top bidder's face when they realize what they've ACTUALLY bid on. Let's see, current bid is US$690.00. Add the US$349 cost of the phone itself when utilizing the coupon and you've got a price of US$1039.

I wonder if that's considered a bargain in some parts of the world?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    In fairness to the zealous bidders, the listing looks like an actual phone is being sold. It's only in the description that you discover the means by which you will receive your phone. .
    You must be a liberal

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Maybe If I But My Other 650 On Ebay, I Could Get $1000 Since I Actually Have It In My Hands.
    You'd be surprised at how many people don't read the description carefully or at all.

I've been selling items on eBay for a couple of months now and I get questions from prospective bidders about details which are already in the description.
    His ad couldn't be any clearer. He MIGHT have said COUPON in the TITLE but even without that It says coupon in the description at least 10 times and in bold print. If someone is so dumb and can't understand what is written there they deserve to get screwed. Thing is, I highly doubt the order will go through so I hope the seller holds on to the money for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Eric
    No one is "screwing" anybody with these auctions - except maybe palm if they told us the the offer is non-transferable, which I don't remember if they did since I am keeping my 650 - I didn't pay attention.

If the auction closed at 150 bucks than it would be a good deal (500 for the phone and the buyer would not have to extend his/her contract.) If bidders run up the price they are fools but no one is ripping any one off. The auctions I hare seen are very clear about what is bing sold.
    Regardless of technicalities, the auctioneer should have clearly said in the title that it is a coupon.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    You guys are dense. These auctions are not really benificial to American buyers. Lets say the buyer is Italian, the phone is not even announced there. The Treo 600 is selling for 599 euros. http://www-5.palmone.com/it/it/produ...600/index.html
    If this one went for $1039 that is under 800 euros. That seems like a decent deal, especially since the phone is not even announced. My buyer paid $804 out of pocket for me to ship him an unlocked GSM unit. So is getting his "unannounced phone" for 15 euros more than a Treo 600. How is anyone getting screwed?
    Should an auction also say in the title of an item that weighs 3 oz PACKED WEIGHT they are charging $35 shipping? Most people buy an item without looking at the shipping way down on the bottom. Then they get screwed for an additional $35. Happened to me .... I bought a 1gig memory card for $68 and paid $34 shipping. The envelope had $1.08 in stamps on it. It's my own stupid ignoranance and I have no right to complain. After reading the text of that auction "COUPON" is spelled out so many times in large bold letters there is no excuse for not realizing it.

The guy even said: Please take a few moments and carefully read the item description below:

exactly like that on the very first line of the text. We can't protect every ***** from themselves in this world or we'd have no time to do anything else.

Edit: Not only that, look at the guys "ID HISTORY" he's been an eBay member for 4 years. And I'd also bet he's from the US (no way to check that without requesting his ID).

Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Regardless of technicalities, the auctioneer should have clearly said in the title that it is a coupon.
    Why are WE dense? We're not buying one. Look at all the past coupon sales. I'd be willing to bet 9 out 10 of them are Americans. Let's "SAY" the buyer is Italian .... that's fine if he is, it might make a little more sense but I think they are good old Americans. In fact, this auction stated in it's text: "One last thing, I do not feel comfortable shipping outside the USA. Sorry." So obviously it a stupid American on this one. In fact, this doofus bid it up 10 times. Look at the bidder list.

Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    You guys are dense. These auctions are not really benificial to American buyers. Lets say the buyer is Italian, the phone is not even announced there. The Treo 600 is selling for 599 euros. http://www-5.palmone.com/it/it/produ...600/index.html
    If this one went for $1039 that is under 800 euros. That seems like a decent deal, especially since the phone is not even announced. My buyer paid $804 out of pocket for me to ship him an unlocked GSM unit. So is getting his "unannounced phone" for 15 euros more than a Treo 600. How is anyone getting screwed?
    Last edited by MisterEd; 11/23/2004 at 01:31 PM.
    MisterEd, you may be technically correct, but as a measure of courtesy, the seller shouldn't be calling his auction what he is. It isn't for the phone.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I cannot speak for the buyer or the seller. My buyer was Italian, I specifically told all the American buyers when they asked me questions, that the coupon was not really a good deal for them and it would probably be available earlier than the coupon allowed. I have sold items before and stated will not ship over seas and still had some ***** overseas win the auction, this could be the case. I think people are dense because they are getting pissed with the seller because they are selling a "free" coupon. I personally do not see this as a bad thing, you did sit through the meeting and were compensated for your time, there would be no problem with selling the phone you purchased, what is the problem with selling the coupon.
    Where is it written that "courtesy" trumps stupidity. Someone bought a grilled cheese sandwich for $30,000. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5535890757

Sorry, no excuse for this guy. If he can read he has absolutely no excuse and the buyer should feel nothing but $600 richer.

Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    MisterEd, you may be technically correct, but as a measure of courtesy, the seller shouldn't be calling his auction what he is. It isn't for the phone.
    satyric said it best: Caveat Emptor

There are more than a fair share of dumb-a** buyers on e-bay! I've seen countless articles selling for much more than retail... and they still haven't factored in S&H.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast