Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Where is it written that "courtesy" trumps stupidity. Someone bought a grilled cheese sandwich for $30,000. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5535890757

Sorry, no excuse for this guy. If he can read he has absolutely no excuse and the buyer should feel nothing but $600 richer.
    It isn't written, it's (in my view) a requirement to living a good life (including honesty, respect, etc.). I hope that isn't the attitude you take in every day life.

Even when you help someone who is (in your words) "stupid" you are still helping someone.
    This one looks like another scam, not for the coupon but for the phone itself..check out what else the person is selling too...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...724907617&rd=1
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I didn't know there was a Louisville, KY in the UK!

Yep, and some of the other auctions list other US cities in the UK
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    We're not talking about "helping" anyone here. The deed had already been done. We're talking about an ***** who is either unable or too dumb to read before he commits himself to purchasing a $600+ piece of paper. You (generic "you" not "you" personally) can't blame the seller for the buyers stupidity and you can't protect everyone in the world from themselves. People need to take responsibity for their actions and not lay it off on someone else just because they do something stupid. This seller couldn't have been much clearer in his auction. You'd think before spending $600 the buyer might just read the first BOLD RED line of auction text. He has no one to blame but himself. Obviously you're not familiar with the advertising business. Besides, no one was trying to help the BUYER, they were writing emails to the SELLER complaining that saying "coupon" in BOLD RED 10 times wasn't clear enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    It isn't written, it's (in my view) a requirement to living a good life (including honesty, respect, etc.). I hope that isn't the attitude you take in every day life.

Even when you help someone who is (in your words) "stupid" you are still helping someone.
    Buyer beware. Anytime you bid for an online auction, you better red
    This seller couldn't have been much clearer in his auction.
    Actually he could have. He could have put an accurate description in the title. Your assertion is completely false.
    LOL ..... I guess I shouldn't assert myself any longer. My wife tells me that all the time. However I still assert that if the guy just drops his eyes one inch down the screen he'd plainly see what it was. What about shipping? Should a seller put that he is charging $35 to ship a 4 ounce item in the title of his auction or is it the buyers responsibilty to look at the fine print of the auction on the bottom of the page?

Of course he COULD HAVE put the word coupon in his title and MAYBE he even SHOULD HAVE but my point was the buyer should have enough intelligence to read the first line of the auction in 15pt red bold type BEFORE making TEN different bids on the item.

Funny thing is, the guy is probably such an ***** that even if it said "coupon" in the title he problably still would have bid on it. Then someone would say he should have put exclamation marks around it to make it more obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Actually he could have. He could have put an accurate description in the title. Your assertion is completely false.
    Let me introduce myself. My name is Jill and I am a gal - NOT a guy. I have been a part time seller on eBay for a few years and if you look at my feedback you'll see MOST everyone has been very happy with my products and service.

I decided to sell my road show coupon because my husband lost his job and I could not justify spending $350.00 dollars for a phone/PDA at this time. We have 2 kids and with Christmas coming up, it just made sense. Anyway, I had heard (from the road show) that people were selling their coupons on eBay, so I checked. Sure enough, people were paying $600.00 dollars or more for the coupon. I figured this would be a good chance to make a few hundred dollars (easily what I spent driving from St. Louis and spending the night in Chicago).

I will admit my title did not say the word coupon, but please, if you read the auction, how could anyone NOT know what they were bidding on? I was VERY clear in my description (e.g. big RED words, Bold words, etc.). I tried to answer all questions that came my way (even the question from Treocentral member Kirkeric). The highest bidder that backed out, backed out after I sent him an email asking if he knew he was bidding on a coupon (he didn't). I told him I would cancel his bid because of this. Dishonest sellers DO NOT DO THIS!

Also, there is NO mention of a shipping charge. When I was just selling the coupon, why would I charge $335.00 dollars to send an envelope? MisterEd mentioned a $35.00 shipping charge, that was NOT from my auction. Sorry, wanted to make sure everyone understood this.

I WANT to let EVERYONE know I am not screwing the highest bidder. The $690.00 dollar bid bought the GSM phone. There was no way I was going to charge anyone $690.00 plus $350.00 for the phone. I have not contacted the highest bidder yet, so I do not know if they truly understood what they bought, but it doesn't matter, because they are getting the phone for $690.00.

I hope everyone understands I was NOT out to screw anyone! I am a VERY honest eBay seller and I work very hard to make all my bidders happy. I wanted to let the members of TREOCENTERAL know this. My husband told me not to even bother saying anything, because really, who cares. Well I care and even though I only know 1 person from the site (he told me about this thread), I wanted all of you to know I do care and the highest bidder will NOT be getting screwed.

Please do not flame me on this. I just wanted to set the record straight. Thanks for you time.
    Hi Jill ... read my message(s) again. I'm 200% on your side. The $35 shipping charge was being used as an example of people taking or not taking responsibility for their actions (happened to have been something that happened to ME and I was using it as an example of MY stupidity). Never said you had a shipping charge. I think your auction was 100% fair and square. The guy who (attempted) to buy it was an *****. You couldn't make it much more obvious then you did even if the word "coupon" wasn't in the title. Big deal! People today always want to lay the blame everywhere but where it should be .... on themselves (when it applies of course). This guy should have been required to buy your coupon if for no other reason to teach him a good lesson.

Although I doubt he did, he should have insisted on covering your eBay fees since it was his fault. His ignorance is no excuse. After all, he's been an eBay user since 2000 and should know better. Don't let those who are trying to blame you get to you. You did nothing wrong.

BTW, you did a good (but technically unnecessary thing) by returning his money. It was no different then if he accidently raised his hand at a "live" auction. He made a contract and technically is required to meet it's obligations. His stupidity is no excuse.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by thefivekeys
    Also, there is NO mention of a shipping charge. When I was just selling the coupon, why would I charge $335.00 dollars to send an envelope? MisterEd mentioned a $35.00 shipping charge, that was NOT from my auction. Sorry, wanted to make sure everyone understood this.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefivekeys
    I wanted all of you to know I do care and the highest bidder will NOT be getting screwed.
    Good enough for me.
    I just listed at Treo 650 on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5734157808, I tried to find the lowest Overnight shipping, which was USPS, $26.00 with insurance, which is a good deal for ebay, I not even gaining anything and I have to drive their.
    His ad couldn't be any clearer. He MIGHT have said COUPON in the TITLE but even without that It says coupon in the description at least 10 times and in bold print. If someone is so dumb and can't understand what is written there they deserve to get screwed. Thing is, I highly doubt the order will go through so I hope the seller holds on to the money for a while.
    Wow, this sure generated a lot of talk! I had not been back to this site since my initial posting. While I did say this "guy", that turned out to be a girl, had a responsibility to tell the highest bidder, I also followed that by saying maybe the ***** bidding deserves it. A simple grasp of the english language - like the multiple bold "coupons" should have been enough. I didn't think the sale would go in the end. I would however like to apologize to Jill, who I mistakenly assumed was a guy (like most of us did) and it is nice to know there are honest ebayer's out there. I still find it odd that even if they thought it was a phone that they would go up to $690. I have never bought a thing off ebay unless I was getting a better deal than buying it elsewhere.

Eric
  14.    #34  
    Hi Jill,
    I'm the originator of this thread and I never meant it as a slam against you. Just like the first post states, you were clear in the description that this was for the coupon. IMO you did NOTHING wrong and I am sorry that my thread came to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    You must be a liberal

-rob
    ROFL

Few people make that assertion about me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12