Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been using AOL through versamail to get and send emails, however, tonight it doesn't seem to be working. I can still get emails, but when I try to send them, I get the following error:

501 invalid screen name format/length

I've checked the account setup several times for aol, but I dont' see anything wrong?

Mail service: AOL
    Protocol: IMAP
    username: username@aol.com
    password: blahblahblah

email address: username@aol.com
    incoming mail server: imap.aol.com
    outgoing mail server: smtp.aol.com

advanced:
    Incoming server settings: port number 143
    -use secue connection (SSL)
    outgoing server settings: port number 587
    -use secure connection (SSL)
    -use authentication (ESMTP)

password: blahblah

Can someone please shed some light on where I went wrong?
  2.    #2  
    sorry for the shameless bump, but is anyone getting this issue besdies me?
  3.    #3  
    sorry again, but it's still giving me a problem...
    anyone out there that can help?
    i tried versamail and went back to the aol program, which is just what i was used to, nothing more. unfortunately it has its own issues with the 650 <sigh>
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I would change your settings to reflect "No SSL"
    I don't use Versamail but I can tell you that AOL works great with Snappermail!
    And I don't use SSL in my config
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    I haven't yet got VersaMail to work with my AOL account. Been using SnapperMail before and it works great, but I'm trying to stay away from having two email apps on my T650 and taking up space. So if anybody has a configuration that works for VersaMail, please do share. Tried various set-ups already (including my Snappermail settings and MikeyP's settings), but still no luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyP
    sorry for the shameless bump, but is anyone getting this issue besdies me?
    After uninstalling AOL 3.2.1 because I believe it was causing my 650 to go into endless looping startup, I tried VersaMail today with the same results, Mikey. Did you get it sorted out? If so, how??
    I can connect to AOL via Versamail.

My settings are similar to Mickeys except in the Advanced section. Here's what I have:

advanced:
    Incoming server settings:
    port number 143
    UNCHECK use secure connection (SSL)

outgoing server settings:
    port number 25
    UNCHECK use secure connection (SSL)
    CHECK use authentication (ESMTP)

and make sure your username/password is correct. good luck!
    Thanks ArchX, but are you able to send mail without that annoying error message?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson
    Thanks ArchX, but are you able to send mail without that annoying error message?
    I just sent an email from AOL versamail, and it was successful. Didn't get any error messages
    Quote Originally Posted by archx
    I just sent an email from AOL versamail, and it was successful. Didn't get any error messages
    I tried your exact settings (using my own screen name and password of course) and am still getting the same error msg.
    Hmmnnn i just signed on versamail with my AOL Sn and sent myself a email and as soon as i hit send. I waited about 2 seconds and my laptop said you got mail....
    Works perfect for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyP
    I have been using AOL through versamail to get and send emails, however, tonight it doesn't seem to be working. I can still get emails, but when I try to send them, I get the following error:

501 invalid screen name format/length

I've checked the account setup several times for aol, but I dont' see anything wrong?

Mail service: AOL
    Protocol: IMAP
    password: blahblahblah

email address: username@aol.com
    incoming mail server: imap.aol.com
    outgoing mail server: smtp.aol.com

advanced:
    Incoming server settings: port number 143
    -use secue connection (SSL)
    outgoing server settings: port number 587
    -use secure connection (SSL)
    -use authentication (ESMTP)

password: blahblah

Can someone please shed some light on where I went wrong?
    I use it successfully. My set up differs from yours in a few regards which I noted below:

For username drop the AOL.com, though leave the extension under email address.
    I unchecked all secure connections
    Outgoing server settings. my port number is 25

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Hte2w8; 12/18/2004 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hte2w8
    I use it successfully. My set up differs from yours in a few regards which I noted below:

For username drop the AOL.com, though leave the extension under email address.
    I unchecked all secure connections
    Outgoing server settings. my port number is 25

Hope this helps
    I found the problem with mine. On the "Outgoing Server Settings," I still had username@aol.com as my Username. I took off the "@aol.com" so that it now matches the Username second screen of the setup (the one that says "Enter the username and password assigned to this account" at the top).

And voila! All better....
    i would really appreciate if people who use aol on their palm with versamail help me. i try to use it and it works but it is very slow. how do you set it up to work smooth and fast. all i really want is to be ablw to check my aol mail from my treo. i dont want it to sync when i hotsync etc. i just want to see what emails i have and read them. i would hope that each one i open and read, or delete, will do the same on the server. so that when i get home, i only see new emails i havnt pulled on my treo. is this all possible. i want it to work like the aol prc program i have used in the past. that worked perfect. it pulled all mail and when i opened or deleted one on my treo, i could actual see it disappear on my aol when i had it opened on my laptop in front of me, etc. i dont use te aol on my treo 650 b.c it crashes after a while. it worked on my treo 600 but not sol clean on my treo 650
    please help
    pm me if you can help
    mark
    It works for me. But after i read the emails i still have to sign on aol and delete them or they will show up the next time i go onto aol-email from my treo...

On the hotsync issue you have to go to the delete old and empty trash from what i can understand.
    You guys just don't listen!
    I promise you that Snappermail works very well with AOL. It will sync the folder and just show unread email. If you then go to AOL on you pc the folder is updated to reflect the changes and vice versa. If you send an AOL email from your treo it works flawlessly and will update on AOL's software on your desktop. It's well worth the money,fast and supports AOL attachements too.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    How Much Is Snapper Mail And Doyou Have A Version Registration Code I Can Pay You Some Money For?

Sorry Bout Caps...didnt Realize Till I Finished
    I can't give you a reg code! You have to buy it but you can certainly demo it for 30 days. It isn't cheap but in my opinion it's damn worth every penny.
    You need to have the enterprise solution if you are going to use it with AOL and it's $59.95.
    I've been a customer since they launched SM a couple of years ago, so the upgrade to Ent edition wasn't so painful.
    http://snappermail.com/wireless/email/
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    I wish snappermail did work as well as promised. But like versamail it pulls up both deleted and new mail so it's still not a great solution.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast