1.    #1  
    Sorry don't have my 650 yet, so I haven't tried this yet... But I was wondering if this could somehow solve the problem some users are having with large contact and datebook databases. The issue seems to be that the Treo 650 PD doesn't seem to correctly convert old db's efficiently resulting in that they balloon in the NVFS of the 650. Has anyone tried exporting their old contacts as a CVS file or something and then using the new Treo 650 PD to import directly from the CVS file? I wonder if this would solve the problem and more efficiently create the databases in the Treo 650's NVFS? Most users are saying that starting from scratch, they are not experiencing these large DB's. I wonder if this would work... TIA...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    gfunk,

I'm curious as well. Shazsta did a lot of work to help identify the problem. It's interesting that nobody's worked on this yet.

Perhaps Paris' mesmerizing dance will convince someone to give it a try?

Clue
  3.    #3  
    <bump> No one willing to try this?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    <bump> No one willing to try this?
    I don't believe its the Palm PIM that is bloating (it does swell but not unmanageable) regardless of fresh start or restore from backup. The fresh start shows some improvement but I think it is just removing orphan files from several directories.

I think most people with the contact database problems use a third party app with more complex data fields and interrogation abilities to manage them

At least that is my case.
    does the bundled ActiveSync sync with Outlook catagories and subfolders? or just root folders?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I don't think that's going to help. The problems are:

1). A contact entry that contains a 6 byte name (Joe Doe) and a 10 digit phone number (8005551212) actually takes up 1024 bytes. (I know, everyone else says 512 bytes. See item 2, below). Multiple that by hundreds of contacts, and you've got a ton of wasted space and memory usage. Most contact entries aren't that small, but they're no where near 1024 bytes. And exporting and re-importing won't make any difference.

2). The built in PIMs store every record twice!! Once in the new format database, with extra fields available, and once in an old format database to be compatible with 3rd party tools. This Palm can fix easily, at least for some users. Give us the option as to whether to install/keep the old format databse. I don't use a 3rd party contact manager, so I should be able to delete the old format contact database. I DO use a 3rd party calendar, so I should be able to keep the old format db until the new format one is supported by the software vendor, and then delete it.

Just think, each entry in the contact database, calendar, and ToDo list takes up two 512 byte chunks: one for the new format record and one for the old. A full 1K bytes to store a single entry! No wonder 23 MB fills up so fast.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I don't have my 650 yet, so this may not be possible, but how about this:
    1. on a clean 650 beam the old contacts app from a 600 (an app in memory should override one in rom).
    2. export desktop contacts as csv.
    3. remove all contacts
    4. hot sync
    5. import csv
    6. hotsync

the dup records may be from the contacts app

most likely will not work, bvut may be worth a try.
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
    Might work, if you don't mind giving up the functionality of the new apps. And, of course, the "old" app will also take up some space in RAM/Flash ROM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.