Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My kids like to play around with my Treo600 since day one I brought it home.
    Is there any way that I can protect some of the sensitive applications from being launched by them?
    A simple password protection program will do. Just to make sure that they will not mess around with some of the data inside. At the same time I don't want them to open my Palmasutra too
    There is an app called applock. You can apply a password to each individual application. Not sure how to attach the file to this thread. PM me and I can send it to you.
    You have at least three choices
    1. AS ThomasAnderson said, use AppLock
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=54466
    2. Let the Treo lock itself, or lock it manual with a hotkey
    3. Don't leave a $600 device low enough for a 'kid' to get to, if they are not little kids (where putting the Treo up high will not work), then tell/threaten them you will skin them alive and pour salt on them if you see them jacking with your Treo again
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 11/22/2004 at 10:50 PM.
  4.    #4  
    I'll try the applock. thanks for the info guys.

Burkhadi,
    I'll follow your 3rd suggestion as the last resort.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Good luck with AppLock... let us know how it goes. I remember a few of us tried it a while back, but it was kinda flaky on the Treo 600. They've since released a new version that hopefully is more stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdean
    I'll try the applock. thanks for the info guys.

Burkhadi,
    I'll follow your 3rd suggestion as the last resort.
    LOL...it's all in good humor..
    Heya, you can also try 'invisable' too, if they can't see it, they can't launch it. Either you can laucnh it from 'invisable' or set up a favorite hotkey.
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=14088
  8.    #8  
    Applock is not the good solution. I purposely entered a wrong password, but I still managed to temporarily run the app (for about 2/3 second) before the apps turned off. Heheh...not a good solution for palmasutra protection...
    I'll check out the "invisible".
    you know palmasutra has its own password protection, don't you?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    you know palmasutra has its own password protection, don't you?
    ChemEngr..Rumor has it... right
    not that anything is wrong with that (Seinfeild quote)
  11.    #11  
    I did not find any password protection for Palmasutra

Tried invisible. Manage to protect apps from being launched, however.....
    1. It only protect apps that being intalled on the internal memory. It even can't detect all the apps installed on my SD card

2. I can still bypass the invisible protection by assigning the palmasutra to one of the button or put it on my favaurite list.

Basically it onl;y hide it from the apps launcher but not form the quick button or favourite.

Still not that secured....Imagine my kids running around the house showing their mom, grandma & aunties what a strange pics shown on my Treo
    Checkout PDA Playground. It's seems like exactly what you need!

PDA Playground turns your handheld into an entertaining tool for children ages 3-7 by creating a "child-friendly playground" on your handheld. This playground comes preloaded with six classic games kids will love. Just as important, it keeps your data out of your kids? hands, so they can play and you won?t worry. It?s perfect for car trips, waiting rooms, restaurants, and any time that you need just 15 minutes (or more!) of peace and quiet.
    http://www.dataviz.com/products/pdap...und/index.html

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  13.    #13  

Still not that secured....Imagine my kids running around the house showing their mom, grandma & aunties what a strange pics shown on my Treo
    And very funny....
    Invisible can't hide them from my MegaLauncher apps..... ..Really wonder how they are going to sell this software? Even they give it for free, I don't think I want it...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Checkout PDA Playground. It's seems like exactly what you need!

http://www.dataviz.com/products/pdap...und/index.html
    hmm...Now is my third experiment.....I'm crossing my fingers...
  15.    #15  
    by just reading at the description I know it is not the right solution. It just a software to keep the kids busy. But my problem is what happen if my kids open the palmasutra instaed of the PDAPlayground. You know kids nowadays is very enthusiastics in learning new things.

p/s
    I guess I wil adopt Bukhardi's 3rd choice.
    In v2.1, build 1032: menu > options > preferences > use system password
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    In v2.1, build 1032: menu > options > preferences > use system password
    Thanks,
    I think it works now.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I use LauncherX instead of the basic PalmOS launcher. It allows you to organize applications into different tab'ed pages. You can mark individual tabs as "hidden". Then Menu-H hides marked tabs, and Menu-U unhides marked tabs. You can also require a password for unhiding.

So if you have multiple apps you want to protect from prying kids this sounds ideal for you!

I use my hidden tab (you can have multiple) to stow away lots of useless system apps. One disclaimer on LauncherX is that the new OS on the 650 has hi-jacked the 5-way center button so it's one-handed operation is suffering a bit. But otherwise I've been extremely pleased with LauncherX.

ERic
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    I use LauncherX instead of the basic PalmOS launcher. It allows you to organize applications into different tab'ed pages. You can mark individual tabs as "hidden".
    I do the same thing with ZLauncher and it does a good job of completely hiding apps...
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    One disclaimer on LauncherX is that the new OS on the 650 has hi-jacked the 5-way center button so it's one-handed operation is suffering a bit.
    I got a reply back from the LauncherX support folks saying this is high on their priority list of things to fix. But as with all developers they would not commit to a release date.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast