Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34
    ACtually you can assign each ringer to a different contact. Mine has the most often caller's names announced..."Karen's calling...pick up the phone"...pretty cool!!!

Igo
    One would THINK so, and even Palm's web site advertises this as a feature:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(19349)

Add AMR ringtones

The Treo 650 smartphone uses two formats for ringtones: AMR and MIDI. This section talks about AMR, which is best suited for voice clips rather than music.

AMR ringtones are recorded using your Treo 650 smartphone's built-in voice recorder. It's an ideal way to add alerts like "Hey, Larry's Calling!" or "You have an appointment" to your repertoire...

But, as many here have found... it doesn't WORK that way! Our alert selections for that speed dial person are ignored in favor of the "known caller" alert.

It's got to be a bug. Now, how do we report it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj
    it's downloading... they just aren't showing up...

i have the option to save to sd... or save to Ptunes... either way, they don't show up as a ringer option....

i never see a save as sound request at all

I am having the same issue. It doesn't give me a choice and I tried saving it both ways it allows (by choosing card and by choosing ptunes) and it doesn't show up in my ringtones at all! Anyone, anyone???
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Aaron

Thanks for the great tip and cool ringtones.
    I've confirmed that the following works well for me - I'm using a Treo 650 with a Mac running OS 10.3.7 w/Bluetooth, and I do have PocketTunes installed.

Download WAV file to desktop
    Connect Treo to Mac via Bluetooth (if you don't know how to do this, read the manual)
    "Send File" via Bluetooth from the Mac to the Treo
    "Save" the file on the Treo to the "Sounds" folder
    Select the saved sound for your ringtone

I've also confirmed that it ONLY works for the known caller tone (possibly the other "standard" tones...?) - not for "Favorites" tones, which can be custom selected.

Haven't found a Mac AMR conversion program to see if a converted file will work as a "Favorite" sound...

Cool, though.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    Haven't found a Mac AMR conversion program to see if a converted file will work as a "Favorite" sound...
    It doesn't have anything to do with finding a Mac AMR conversion program. The limitation of not being able to use AMR's as a "Favorite" sound is a bug on the device itself. (Otherwise we'd be able to do so with AMR's that we record of our voice, directly on the Treo 650. In Sound & Alerts pref, you can "add" sounds, which are voice AMR recordings. The only problem is these AMRs don't work as customized/favorite ring tones.)

That said, QuickTime Pro is supposed to allow for AMR/3GP exports. Once the sounds are on the Treo, we'll have to wait for PalmOne to address this bug, and *then* maybe it will work the way PalmOne says it should:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(19349)

Add AMR ringtones

The Treo 650 smartphone uses two formats for ringtones: AMR and MIDI. This section talks about AMR, which is best suited for voice clips rather than music.

AMR ringtones are recorded using your Treo 650 smartphone's built-in voice recorder. It's an ideal way to add alerts like "Hey, Larry's Calling!" or "You have an appointment" to your repertoire.

To add an AMR ringtone:
    Press Applications Launcher .
    Launch the Prefs application.
    Under the General heading, select Sounds & Alerts.
    Tap on the Tones box near the top of the screen.
    At the bottom of the screen, select Manage...
    At the bottom of the Manage Sound screen, select New.
    The Recorder dialog appears. Tap the button to begin recording, and tap it again to stop.
    On the next screen, you can review your recording, and select Done when you're satisfied.
    I am able to get these into the ring choices using the links for .PHOTON, .YOURANG, etc., but when I download from anywhere else (Aaronstein.com or handango or palmgear) to my card, I am unable to move or copy using filez. Any suggestions how to get these into my ring choices. I would like to purchase all of them. Thanks
    Hmmm...that's all I need...to be standing in a crowd of co-workers who already give me a hard time about all the tech toys I bring into the office. I believe if they heard my Treo say "Scotty beam me up" that would be the final straw. They would just laugh me right out of the office! ;-)
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    I've confirmed that the following works well for me - I'm using a Treo 650 with a Mac running OS 10.3.7 w/Bluetooth, and I do have PocketTunes installed.

Download WAV file to desktop
    Connect Treo to Mac via Bluetooth (if you don't know how to do this, read the manual)
    "Send File" via Bluetooth from the Mac to the Treo
    "Save" the file on the Treo to the "Sounds" folder
    Select the saved sound for your ringtone

I've also confirmed that it ONLY works for the known caller tone (possibly the other "standard" tones...?) - not for "Favorites" tones, which can be custom selected.
    I just tried this using the same setup and it worked great. As an addition to this post I want to mention that using QuickTime Pro I am able to trim songs down to use whatever part of it I like. For example, I used the first 30 seconds of a 50 Cent song I like compressed to a 22.050 kHz 8 bit mono WAV file. It's easily less then 1mb and makes a SICK ringer mang!
    I dont have a mac or bluetooth, so not an option for me . I have no problem getting these onto my card (from website to Treo card, from website to desktop to Treo card, Drag and drop to card-it wont drop into internal memory section- with quick install) Just cant get it to go into internal memory as a ringtone choice. anyone have any ideas? Thanks
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Rather than fixing this bug, PalmOne has just added this caveat:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(19349)

Voice recorder ringtones do not work as Caller ID Ringtones
    Please note, you cannot assign voice recorder ringtones to Favorites as Caller ID Ringtones. If you do assign a voice recorder ringtone, you will hear the Default ringtone whenever that person calls you.
    They also changed the suggested recording from "Hey, Larry's Calling!" to "Larry, pick up the phone!"

That's not what it said when I bought the phone. And the UI still allows these recordings to be chosen, they just DON'T WORK when they're supposed to.

So PalmOne just changes the technote to imply it's not possible? How about FIXING it instead, PalmOne?
    What kind of file management utility can you use to transfer the files? What can you use to just play the wav's off your Treo 650 or is that not possible? I tried RealAudio-wouldn't play them. Can I put something else on it?

What is a SIMPLE way to convert files to Midi?

Todd
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234