Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So since this is Sprint's first "official" bluetooth phone (not counting the T610 or whatever) it happens to be my first bluetooth device. I have to say that I am not really impressed with anything bluetooth has to offer...so far, that is. I would like to understand several things before I buy into this whole magical bluetooth bandwagon. Quick background:

• Running Mac OS X 10.3.6 on a iBook G3. All software versions are bleeding edge ( )
    • Using a D-Link USB Bluetooth adapter (DBT-120)
    • Using a Bluetrek G2 headset

1. My confusion begins with the 14.4-like syncing with Bluetooth. Seriously, during a normal sync with the cable, it takes MAYBE 15-20 seconds. Over the Bluetooth connection, it takes a SOLID 10 minutes to do a regular sync (not installing a single application, etc). I could understand if I was installing tons of files, programs, etc, (given the throughput limitations of Bluetooth) but DAMN. 10 minutes? That means the "convenience" factor of not having to carry a cable with me will in turn cost me at least 10 mins of my life every time I want to sync. Um, that's ridiculous. Please tell me Bluetooth syncing doesn't take this long for everyone. If so, wow, it's not convenient at all.

2. BT headset. Whoa, my Bluetrek G2 is static-city. It's like if I move at all, I get static out the wazoo. Totally unacceptable. Yes, if I stay perfectly still and am like a foot from the 650, it's okay (albeit muffled, distant sounding to the person @ the other end of the phone) but isn't the concept of "hands-free" supposed to allow you to be "free" up to 10 meters? Please tell me this is my G2, and not the 650. I find it very hard to believe every bluetooth phone/headset combination is like this. If so, how the hell does any bluetooth headset make it out of testing. Are they kidding?@#$ (If this is an isolated problem with the 650 then, well, add it to the list of internet flame-fests)

3. Pairing. For instance, I have trouble getting my iBook and my Thinkpad (use both, Thinkpad for work) to "find" my 650. Specifically, on the OS X Bluetooth setup wizard, it can never finish setting up the 650. It hangs on the step where it reads/communicates from the device (my 650). Eventually it never finalizes, and says it cannot connect to the device. ( but it will sync... ) This makes me wonder because bluetooth is supposed to be fantastic on OS X.

4. Using programs that integrate Bluetooth functions with your computer. For example, I have downloaded BluePhoneElite for my iBook, and the features are incredible. The problem is it won't connect with my 650. At all. This ticks me off, as this program looks to be really awesome.

These are just a few frustrations I have with bluetooth. I read, bought into, and believed the bluetooth hype for several years, and now that I've finally got it in my grubby paws, it really is gimmicky and seems like primitive technology.

Am I in left field here guys?
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 11/22/2004 at 07:53 PM.
    I am also power user, G5, 10.3.6, etc.

I wanted to dial from my Address Book - no go.

The bluetooth Headset - from PalmOne a Jabra - is full of static. Sounds like a tunnel on the other side.

Very slow syncing...

Very bad....
    I haven't used a BT headset yet, but I do like hotsyncing with BT and using PdaNet with BT. Hotsyncing is a little slower than a cable, but it's not taking anywhere near 10 minutes for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    So since this is Sprint's first "official" bluetooth phone (not counting the T610 or whatever) it happens to be my first bluetooth device. I have to say that I am not really impressed with anything bluetooth has to offer...so far, that is. I would like to understand several things before I buy into this whole magical bluetooth bandwagon. Quick background:

• Running Mac OS X 10.3.6 on a iBook G3. All software versions are bleeding edge ( )
    • Using a D-Link USB Bluetooth adapter (DBT-120)
    • Using a Bluetrek G2 headset

1. My confusion begins with the 14.4-like syncing with Bluetooth. Seriously, during a normal sync with the cable, it takes MAYBE 15-20 seconds. Over the Bluetooth connection, it takes a SOLID 10 minutes to do a regular sync (not installing a single application, etc). I could understand if I was installing tons of files, programs, etc, (given the throughput limitations of Bluetooth) but DAMN. 10 minutes? That means the "convenience" factor of not having to carry a cable with me will in turn cost me at least 10 mins of my life every time I want to sync. Um, that's ridiculous. Please tell me Bluetooth syncing doesn't take this long for everyone. If so, wow, it's not convenient at all.
    Same for everyone. It's because Palm chose to use an old version of Bluetooth.

2. BT headset. Whoa, my Bluetrek G2 is static-city. It's like if I move at all, I get static out the wazoo. Totally unacceptable. Yes, if I stay perfectly still and am like a foot from the 650, it's okay (albeit muffled, distant sounding to the person @ the other end of the phone) but isn't the concept of "hands-free" supposed to allow you to be "free" up to 10 meters? Please tell me this is my G2, and not the 650. I find it very hard to believe every bluetooth phone/headset combination is like this. If so, how the hell does any bluetooth headset make it out of testing. Are they kidding?@#$ (If this is an isolated problem with the 650 then, well, add it to the list of internet flame-fests)
    I'm not familiar with the amount of power behind the Bluetooth of the new Treo 650. That may have something to do with broadcasting and reception; but it could also be your particular headset. Not sure.

3. Pairing. For instance, I have trouble getting my iBook and my Thinkpad (use both, Thinkpad for work) to "find" my 650. Specifically, on the OS X Bluetooth setup wizard, it can never finish setting up the 650. It hangs on the step where it reads/communicates from the device (my 650). Eventually it never finalizes, and says it cannot connect to the device. ( but it will sync... ) This makes me wonder because bluetooth is supposed to be fantastic on OS X.
    Palm does not allow Macs to "find" and connect to the device. This is pretty ****ty of PalmOne and PalmSource. The connection must finally be initiated from the Palm itself.

4. Using programs that integrate Bluetooth functions with your computer. For example, I have downloaded BluePhoneElite for my iBook, and the features are incredible. The problem is it won't connect with my 650. At all. This ticks me off, as this program looks to be really awesome.
    Again, not possible to do with Palm devices. It ticks me off too. Those "fockers". You can use that app with any other Bluetooth phone though, if thats any conciliation.

These are just a few frustrations I have with bluetooth. I read, bought into, and believed the bluetooth hype for several years, and now that I've finally got it in my grubby paws, it really is gimmicky and seems like primitive technology.

Am I in left field here guys?
    I'm with you.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    this is exactly the same for me. i got the jabra and if i move at all its crazy static.
    i know wifi and 2.4 ghz phones are supposed to cause inteference but its unsuable and im always blanketed in both.

im upset.
    Good Morning.
    I haven't had sound quality issues with BT....(yet?)
    but I thought I'd share an additional function of the BT headset.
    For any of you who use dictation software or any other PC function that needs a mike, you can use your BT headset for that, too.
    There's a discussion of this here: http://forums.mobileburn.com/showthread.php?t=6342

Maybe it's already been covered in the forums, but I thought it's be helpful, esp. since I use dictation on my Toshiba Tablet PC a lot! You can even train your PC to open and close programs, edit, speech-to-text, etc. and the BT makes it all wireless.
    Enjoy.
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
    The Treo 650: Crisp & Clean, but the RAM is lean!
    I haven't tried to sync yet via BT but purchased both offerings from BlueTrek and while I like the size of the G2 the first offering works better for me. It is bulkier but it appears to function better. I get no static with both new and old units. Currently I have only a 600/dongle setup.

BT for keyboard/mouse functionality is great. I have 3 different scenarios which work well.

1 - HTPC - tried infrared / wireless (FM) and they never worked well. BT works well from up to ~30-60 feet.
    2 - home office desk - gives me a clean looking environment / footprint.
    3 - testing CARPC (carX - BMW - IBUS interface)

I have not tried to sync yet via BT but never liked syncing via network interface / modem interface. I have a 1 gig SD card and an 80 meg transfer of a movie (PocketDVD) is slow enough.
    My findings with the BT250 are pretty similar to yours. I'm not sure how P1 justified their testing unless they used state-of-the-art equipment for bluetooth hands-free headsets or they figured customers would just adjust to it and take it for what it is.

I got to admit, Bluetooth wasn't the reason I moved to the 650, but after the excitement had been built up, I've been fairly let down thus far. Static-y headsets and super-slow hotsyncs. There must be another way...
    I hope they make some kind of fix to boost the bluetooth because I have poping sounds once I exceed a few feet. Hot sync for me is slow to, If you want it to be fast, turn off the backup feature off, this saves a lot of time for me. Use the cable every so often and back everything up.
    Did you try Sailing Clicker?!

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

That's one of the coolest apps for BT on PalmOs and macs imo!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I'm also on a Mac (PowerBook G4 w/bluetooth built-in). I can't figure out what to do with the Bluetooth either. I haven't even synced via Bluetooth yet, and now that I've read these replies, I don't think I will bother. So if Bluetooth isn't that cool, then I'm wondering what the 650 has over the 600 other than a nicer screen...
    Does anyone get a good connection between a bluetooth headset and the Treo 650? This is one of the two reasons I've been waiting for the 650 (the other is screen). If this basic functionality doesn't work well I may give up on the Treo, I've been waiting for this for over a year now!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Does anyone get a good connection between a bluetooth headset and the Treo 650? This is one of the two reasons I've been waiting for the 650 (the other is screen). If this basic functionality doesn't work well I may give up on the Treo, I've been waiting for this for over a year now!
    Keep in mind, Palm chose to use a 4 year old standard that was around before anyone even heard of wi-fi. It may be very difficult to get any sort of response/reception from the Bluetooth equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanus
    I'm also on a Mac (PowerBook G4 w/bluetooth built-in). I can't figure out what to do with the Bluetooth either. I haven't even synced via Bluetooth yet, and now that I've read these replies, I don't think I will bother. So if Bluetooth isn't that cool, then I'm wondering what the 650 has over the 600 other than a nicer screen...
    Bluetooth itself (and its capabilities) are very cool – just not cool on the Palm. In fact; what little Bluetooth functionality Palm did choose to use in their devices is actually more convoluted and demanding in its execution than simply performing the same task manually, (be it wired or walking).

That is what makes it "not cool".

Palm just doesn't get it.
    I think the only people posting here are those pissed off by their experience; most people who are happy aren't looking in support forums. That said, I just got a Treo 650. I never used Bluetooth anything before (I have a TiPB 1GHz, so no built-in BT), so I borrowed my brother's Sony Ericsson HBH-60 Bluetooth headset. I followed the directions to pair, very easy once I figured out the 0000 password for most (all?) headsets, and was Bluetoothing in no time. The signal is clear, even from a distance from the phone. I'm pretty amazed with the technology. I've just ordered the Cardo Scala 500 from TreoCentral Store to test, hopefully it will be good.

There are some peculiarities with BT, which maybe is because it's wacky, or maybe because I don't know what I'm doing yet. But overall it works, and I like it. You get very addicted to driving with both hands on the wheel, getting to your destination, getting out of the car, and KEEP GOING handsfree. Really neat.

- Adam
    I have a pc with a Kensington BT adapter and I can sync pretty much anywhere in my house.(3000sq ft)
    I had a SE hbh-660 that worked really well within about 30 ft of my phone ( i lost it).
    Sync works fine on my Fujitsu Lifebook w/BT adapter too.

I love Bluetooth. Sorry you guys are having problems.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I didnt' see the benefit of BT either, but the more I played around with it the more I liked it. For instance, I can send ringtones and pictures to friends with BT phones (RAZR, for instance) and I can transfer files and images from my girlfriend's powerbook without the need for cables or even a driver. Very slick.
    BT itself is very useful, but suffers from overcomplexity and non-standard implementations.

If BT was like wi-fi (which is essentially plug and play now), it would be a lot nicer, but c'est la vie.

Ok, the bottom line is that PalmOne screwed the pooch on their BT implementation:

- Used old 1.1 version instead of 1.2 (hence interference with wi-fi)

- Forced the use of "virtual serial port", instead of native profiles. Complete doo-doo, and the reason for the slow synchs.

- Weird BT implementation...BT syncing is hit and miss (if you want to speed it up, only sync calendar and contacts, todos and memos. Turn everything else off.)

As for headsets, the best one out there is the Sony 660. Dump the one that came with it and get the Sony...you will see then how a BT headset should work.

I just hope the Treo 700 has BT 2.0 and a decent implementation.
    I dont think it will be long before shadowmite figures out how to do the 1.2 upgrade on the 650, since it is possible.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I think the issues with bluetooth are a combination of expectations and some poor implementations.

This stuff about Bluetooth 1.2 is silly. There are plenty of 1.1 devices that work just fine. I have used alot of bluetooth devices and only one had 1.2.

For hotsyncing, it will depend of how much you send and the device, but with my PowerBook G4 and the 650 a normal hotsync is probably about 1 1/2 minutes. It will never ever be as fast as USB, but it is certainly usable. I'm at a loss why it should take 10 minutes for anyone. It's possible your BT USB adaptor could be an issue but I doubt it. FYI, BT 1.2 isn't going to noticably change this.

For headsets, unfortunately the Jabra and Bluetrek both work very poorly with the Treo. The consenus is that the Sony Ericsson HBH-660 works the best. I have an HBH-65 and it works OK but the volume is a bit too low. I've ordered the HBH-660 but it hasn't arrived yet.

One useful bluetooth application for me is ringtones. Send a midi, AMR, or WAV file to your Treo via bluetooth and it will be added to the ringtone manager. Pretty cool and fun. You can also do this with pictures you want to use for your contacts. If you take a picture with the Treo and want to send it to a Mac or PC, bluetooth is another good way to do this.

Don't expect USB speeds with it. Also although a standard, some implementations are better than others. If you want a good clear connections, some headsets work much better than others (this applies to phone other than the Treo also). If you have the right expectations, BT is a pretty good technology. You won't ever get wifi speeds, but it also won't drain your battery in two hours either.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast