Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hotsyncing using BT instead of a cradle or cable is nice. Yes, it takes about double the time that a cable sync takes in my experience, but you're still talking about under 2 minutes. I haven't found a really good BT headset yet, and I'm not optimistic that there will ever be one for the 650. There are newer BT standards out there that improve overall quality of BT and expand its application, but those standards aren't a matter of software, but would require a chip upgrade that is not likely to come to the 650.
    The complaints about Bluetooth 1.1 vs. 1.2 don't have much practical merit. I have a collection of Bluetooth devices that I use with my Palm (T3), phone (T610) and desktop, all of which use the 1.1 spec, and all of which work just fine in several WiFi environments (work, home and Starbucks) without any interference issues at all. Speed issues make syncing a Palm device over BT annoyingly slow, but that's the only negative experience I've had with BT.

I use BT to talk to my GPS from my Palm, to sync my address book with my SE phone, to connect my phone to my car handsfree unit, to connect my keyboard and mouse to my desktop, to drive various apps on my desktop from my Palm (using Salling Clicker). It all works fine, and it's terribly convenient (no wires, devices can be anywhere in proximity to each other to work, etc.).

Is it "cool"? I suppose. Or maybe not. But it's definitely very useful to me, and I wouldn't switch off of my Palm T3 and T610 combination until the Treo had BT.
    I'm a relative newcomer to BT as well, and will echo what some have said here:

1. There are various cool things to do with BT, some with the 650.

2. Palm did indeed screw the BT implementation.

However, since I absolutely abhore the concept of a wired headset with a Treo, I am for the moment willing to overlook some of the quirks in hopes that P1 will address them down the road (along with the other bugs).

Remember: We are early adopters, and they don't call it the "bleeding edge" for nothing. You pays your money and you takes your chances! Check out the experiences of some of the first drivers of airbag-equipped cars if you want some perspective.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    The complaints about Bluetooth 1.1 vs. 1.2 don't have much practical merit. I have a collection of Bluetooth devices that I use with my Palm (T3), phone (T610) and desktop, all of which use the 1.1 spec, and all of which work just fine in several WiFi environments (work, home and Starbucks) without any interference issues at all. Speed issues make syncing a Palm device over BT annoyingly slow, but that's the only negative experience I've had with BT.

I use BT to talk to my GPS from my Palm, to sync my address book with my SE phone, to connect my phone to my car handsfree unit, to connect my keyboard and mouse to my desktop, to drive various apps on my desktop from my Palm (using Salling Clicker). It all works fine, and it's terribly convenient (no wires, devices can be anywhere in proximity to each other to work, etc.).

Is it "cool"? I suppose. Or maybe not. But it's definitely very useful to me, and I wouldn't switch off of my Palm T3 and T610 combination until the Treo had BT.

Well, the 1.1 vs 1.2 complaints are vey practical, for the other 95% that use Windows and do not have Apple's proprietary BT/wi-fi interference reduction.

BT headsets (1.1) are subject to wi-fi interefernce...not always, depending on the freq. in use, but your chances are pretty high that interference will occur. (someone posted the odds in another thread).

I could put up with it, but the use of the virtual serial port is unforgivable. BT isn'y fast, but no need to choke it to 56K modem speeds (or Vision speed).
    That's a valid point, but sounds more like a Windows issue than a BT 1.1/Treo issue.
    It's not a Windows issue...it is a Treo BT implementation issue.

Hundreds of different BT devices work fine with Windows, but the Treo has problems. It's a Treo problem.
    There are consistent issues using BT between the Treo and Windows? I hadn't seen this in previous threads. I saw some mention of slow BT syncing (on both platforms), and I also see this on the Mac with my T3, which makes it seem to be a general Palm sync issue, not specific to the Treo. I also saw some issues with BT car handsfree sets, but that's not a Windows issue, and it seems the recent Treo BT update has resolved most of those issues.

What are the specific issues people are having with Treos, Windows and BT?
    Last edited by jimf; 12/25/2004 at 08:03 PM.
    Hello, I read your comments on your ability to sync your 650 with your pc. Unfortunately, I'm not able to do so. The 650 and my XP machine see each other, but my computer won't let me create the Bluetooth Serial Port. A dialog box shows up and says: "Device 'wrusso' does not support service 'Bluetooth Serial Port'. But when I go ahead and initiate a sync with my PC, they start to communicate through the Bluetooth Serial Port. A popup on my system tray says "Bluetooth Connection Successful". It looks like it is going to sync, then after a minute, a dialog box on the 650 says "The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again." Sprint can't help me, nor can Kensington. Was your setup easy, or did you have any problems initially? Can you, or anyone you know help me get this set up?

Thank you.
    Woof, I read your comments on your ability to sync your 650 with your pc. Unfortunately, I'm not able to do so. The 650 and my XP machine see each other, but my computer won't let me create the Bluetooth Serial Port. A dialog box shows up and says: "Device 'wrusso' does not support service 'Bluetooth Serial Port'. But when I go ahead and initiate a sync with my PC, they start to communicate through the Bluetooth Serial Port. A popup on my system tray says "Bluetooth Connection Successful". It looks like it is going to sync, then after a minute, a dialog box on the 650 says "The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again." Sprint can't help me, nor can Kensington. Was your setup easy, or did you have any problems initially? Can you, or anyone you know help me get this set up?

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    I use BT to talk to my GPS from my Palm...
    I'm curious for anyone who has a BT GPS: I have been trying to use a BT i.Trek GPS with the Treo 650 for the last couple weeks, and it really seems flakey. I've tried Mapopolis, MapAdvisor, and CacheMate (GPS Master just reboots the 650). A general theme is the GPS seems to often times get in a state where the program thinks it is communicating properly, and the GPS LED blinks as if it has a satellite fix, but the GPS location never changes. Only turning off the GPS and turning it back on (and waiting thru the boot up time) fixes this.

I have gotten Mapopolis to lock onto the GPS for good readings for an hour or so, but just as often (or more often) the GPS (or the 650's communication system) gets hung up. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Does it always work perfectly for everyone else every time? I'm trying to figure out if my GPS is bad, or if this is just normal flakey BT behavior.

One other thing: the 650 has me search for and select the BT GPS every single time I start GPS tracking in any of these programs. Is that normal? Shouldn't it remember and connect to the same GPS every time, once I've "paired it" the first time? At least that's how the BT headset seems to work.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    Regarding:
    >I read your comments on your ability to sync your 650 >with your pc. Unfortunately, I'm not able to do so. The >650 and my XP machine see each other, but my >computer won't let me create the Bluetooth Serial Port.

Mindfull here. My set-up was very easy before SP2 installation, but much more difficult afterward. For my computer (Toshiba TabletPC with internal BT module installed), there is an internal Bluetooth Monitor OR the Microsoft SP2 Bluetooth Monitor to choose from. Problems arise when (1) Both are installed and active at the same time, or (2) the installed monitor is not configured correctly or (3) I haven't RE-DISCOVERED the Treo (and vice versa with the Treo Rediscovering the laptop) since any changes have been made to the BT configuration on either machine.

The bottom line: to be really honest, if you don't have a pretty specific need for BT communication to your PC, you may want to let it go till the process gets easier with Palm patches or MS updates. Because I need the ability to transfer files wirelessly on the fly, I spent the 3-4 hours it took to get up and running, but it was certainly frustrating once SP2 entered the picture. It's really up to cost/benefit for you, given that the transfer speed is indeed about 1/2 of USB anyways. I use the BT connection primarily for converting PDFs that I receive via email into PDFforPalm format on the laptop, then sending them back to the Treo to have with me as needed, as well as the occasional BT sync (about 2-2:30min with full program load).
    I hope this helps, and best of luck if you decide to delve into the process more!
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
    The Treo 650: Crisp & Clean, but the RAM is lean!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12