Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, this has been an interesting journey attempting to obtain my new 650.. was supposed to have it last thursday, and was held up by Sprint because of the Rebate form being backordered, even though I called them wensday night to make sure this was not holding up my order... and advised it was not. My order went in on Wens at 11:00 am and I just got it today, Monday, while others who ordered after me got thiers first! Good 'ol Sprint.

Well, I unpack my new toy and charge it up, and then start playing with it- WOW, the screen is awesome!! but wait, there's a little blue pixel that won't go away!! NOOOOOO! you've got to be kidding me, a defective screen right out of the box. DAMN. I have had nothing but negative experiences with Sprint, so I can ony imagine what it's going to take to get a new Treo! It better not BE A REFURB!!! Here's a pic :

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...f/f62b9456.jpg

Man, I am utterly frustrated... I'll keep everyone posted on how Sprint handles this....
    Last edited by Cobray; 11/22/2004 at 04:18 PM.
    Ouch!! Bad break... I totally empathize.

Good luck getting this resolved.
    Does IR (beam receive) work on your phone? If not, that could be another reason to get Sprint to replace it.
    congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobray
    Well, this has been an interesting journey attempting to obtain my new 650.. was supposed to have it last thursday, and was help up by Sprint because of the Rebate form being backordered, even though I called them wensday night to make sure this was not holding up my order... and advised it was not. My order went in on Wens at 11:00 am and I just got it today, Monday, while others who ordered after me got thiers first! Good 'ol Sprint.

Well, I unpack my new toy and charge it up, and then start playing with it- WOW, the screen is awesome!! but wait, there's a little blue pixel that won't go away!! NOOOOOO! you've got to be kidding me, a defective screen right out of the box. DAMN. I have had nothing but negative experiences with Sprint, so I can ony imagine what it's going to take to get a new Treo! It better not BE A REFURB!!! Here's a pic :

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...f/f62b9456.jpg

Man, I am utterly frustrated... I'll keep everyone posted on how Sprint handles this....
    So that leaves you what, about 319 pixels to play with? Sorry man, had to say it. Feel bad for you. I wonder if they will even take it back for that.
    Eric
    There are times when I think I have a stuck pixel on my 600, but it goes away. Maybe that'll happen here?
  7. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    When I got my 19" flat panel monitor for my PC it said right in the owners manual that it was considered defective if there were less than 10 non-functioning led's
    they better take it back and make you happy or we will all gang up on them!
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    When I got my 19" flat panel monitor for my PC it said right in the owners manual that it was considered defective if there were less than 10 non-functioning led's
    Of course you're dealing with 1310720 pixels vs. 102400 pixels.

10 bad pixels on a 1280x1024 screen is 0.00079% defect rate
    1 bad pixel on the Treo 650 is a 0.00097% defect rate

1 bad pixel should be enough to warrant a return. Best of luck Cobray. IMHO, you are definitely entitled to a new unit.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Unfortunately "dead pixels" are something customers currently have to deal with when it comes to this type of technology. Should we have to deal with it? No, but if that were the case more displays would have to be produced by manufacturers to replace poor yields and the result would be a higher end cost for the consumer.

I am sure some consumers would be willing to pay for this, but I think realistically there are just consumers who don’t care about "dead pixels" and would rather not pay more for a display. Personally I am not a fan of “dead pixels.”

Good luck with your return, but I wouldn't hold my breath if you only have a single dead pixel. However, single yours is more towards the center of the screen you might want to make the arguement it is that much more distracting then one off to the side. Good luck!
    Ok, that sucks and hopefully they will do the right thing. Just make sure you get that documented with them as soon as you can. You should be able to return it if they wont replace with a brand new one, refurb should not be an option right out of the box.

Also have to say I like the avatar. Ruslan Fedotenko has a house around where I live and played USHL hockey for the local team. He brought the cup back here, getting an extension to his 24 hours just so we could get a close up look. He's quite a guy...now if they would just settle this damn dispute and get to playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    Good luck with your return, but I wouldn't hold my breath if you only have a single dead pixel.
    Why should he have any problems? Within the first 14 days, you can send it back for any reason you wish (in fact you don't even give a reason). You just ask for a RMA kit.
    I have had nothing but negative experiences with Sprint, so I can ony imagine what it's going to take to get a new Treo! It better not BE A REFURB!!! ... I'll keep everyone posted on how Sprint handles this....
    This will probably take longer, but since you're within the return period, why not just return the one you have and order another? That way you know you've got a new one rather than a refurbished one. Also, I think P1 still has the free BT headset deal going...
    Sorry to hear it, but this is always possible with screens. I'm not sure who palmOne gets their LCDs from, but even with a 6-sigma process, one or two pixels can be within the tolerance region on a 320x320 display.

As someone else already posted, some vendors have a stated policy about how many pixels are considered a defect. But if it's in the center of the screen like this, I'd make a stink and get it replaced.
    FWIW, I have a dead pixel (stuck on red), vertically center, about 3/4 of the way towards the right (right where the end of the 6 meets itself in the phone pad)

I never really notice it unless I'm usinghte camera app and cover the lens.

Maybe if a hardware revision happens, I'll use it as an excuse to get a new one...
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgilman
    FWIW, I have a dead pixel (stuck on red), vertically center, about 3/4 of the way towards the right (right where the end of the 6 meets itself in the phone pad)
    I'd personally get it addressed now when the chances of a receiving a refurb are less likely. We are talking about a smaller screen with less pixels than your traditional laptop screen. 1 pixel is a fairly high defect rate on a 320x320 screen.
    Keep us updated. I also have a dead (blue) pixel in the upper left area, but I only notice it when in the caera app.
    yep.
    On my Powerbook G4, I had a couple of dead pixels when I got it but heard somewhere that you can massage the screen area where the dead pixel is and sometimes you can rub it out. I have done it to 2 of my dead pixels and it really works. The last only pixel did not work but it was a smaller lighter one that you can't see.

Bummer on that one...score another one for Palmone quality control.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    don't forget sprint has a 14 day return policy, if they don't exchange it... just return the phone and say you don't like. The return ploicy is for any reason.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast