Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Everybody is talking....................

http://www.brighthand.com/article/T...y_than_Expected
    Link doesn't work!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    Link doesn't work!

sorry, fixed;

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Tr..._than_Expected
    And the fact of the matter is, if they could trade headlines on geek sites for the thousands of people who will replace their batteries without losing data, they'll take it. We need to realize we are a very small portion of the market and palmOne really doesn't care. Unless you tell someone in a sprint store of the issues with the memory, they will never, ever figure out on their own.
  6.    #6  
    ^
    ...which is referenced by Gizmodo gadget blog:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellp...ing-026107.php
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    The fact is - it's now all over the place. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see something about this pop up on CNET News at some point.. However - I would guess that because it has now been /.ed, we should see some sort of response from Palm - probably sooner rather then later. I would be willing to bet that the engineers over at Palm (Skillman and the like) probably read ./ on a daily basis, much like many of us. He / They know that if this type of info is ./ed, EVERYONE in the geek community reads it, becomes aware of it, and can hurt the device.

Then again, maybe not
    It would be great if they responded, but I think they are going to say to themselves "This is not a market we are targetting. We'd rather have the neophyte market than the geek market."
    So this is what they might consider as a fix?

"Currently, developers are discussing whether this device could be patched in such a way as to use memory more efficiently, or if its current method is an unavoidable by-product of the non-volatile memory palmOne is now using in its devices.

At least in the short-term, it seems likely that many Treo 650 users will be forced to make greater use of removable memory cards. This smartphone has an SD slot, and the Palm OS allows applications to be run directly from a card.

Fortunately, the prices for SD cards have plummeted in recent months, while getting ever larger in size. For example, SanDisk is offering a 2 GB SD card for only $200."
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    There's always the chance it will show up in the mainstream media.
    Virtuous
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    And the fact of the matter is, if they could trade headlines on geek sites for the thousands of people who will replace their batteries without losing data, they'll take it. We need to realize we are a very small portion of the market and palmOne really doesn't care. Unless you tell someone in a sprint store of the issues with the memory, they will never, ever figure out on their own.
    Would not a Storage Cap fix this? Sure you could not leave the battery out of the device for more then 5 minutes, but normaly it would be only a couple seconds between battery swaps.
    Don't forget the ability to completely drain your phone and still have everything there when you plug it in.
    I would like to see an article on the front page of Treocentral discussing this. It would be helpful in preventing false rumors of what the actual problem is which may disuade many of the nay-sayers who seem hell bent on criticizing the 650. I'm not saying all the criticism is unwarranted, but a sober and lucid editorial on Treocentral's front page would be very helpful to the numerous newbies around here imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I would like to see an article on the front page of Treocentral discussing this. It would be helpful in preventing false rumors of what the actual problem is which may disuade many of the nay-sayers who seem hell bent on criticizing the 650. I'm not saying all the criticism is unwarranted, but a sober and lucid editorial on Treocentral's front page would be very helpful to the numerous newbies around here imo...
    I agree. There are very valid concerns (my 20+ hard resets in the last two days for example) but this device is very usable now that I have gone through the school of hard resets.
    I've been curious about this too. Articles all over the web about this including /. and mytreo.net. And yet Treocentral is strangely silent on the home page.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    I've been curious about this too. Articles all over the web about this including /. and mytreo.net. And yet Treocentral is strangely silent on the home page.
    You will not see anything remotely negative about P1 Sprint or the Treo on the front page. They have already posted a while back that because they depend on the treostore to keep everyting up and running, they can't do anything to upset them. The boards are pretty wide open most of the time, but the main page is never negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    You will not see anything remotely negative about P1 Sprint or the Treo on the front page. They have already posted a while back that because they depend on the treostore to keep everyting up and running, they can't do anything to upset them. The boards are pretty wide open most of the time, but the main page is never negative.
    == "...Store.TreoCentral is the sole provider for TreoCentral.com, and it is
    == because of their support that we can pay for our expensive hosting to
    == handle 1000 simultaneous users on the forums..."
    ==
    == "...And even though our editorial staff (Me) has nothing to do with the
    == store, what I post on the front page can damage store.treocentral.com's
    == relationships with key suppliers...major suppliers, such as sprint or
    == palmone, may relinquish support for the store, and possibly the site. As
    == the store pays for the site, it is important that the store continues
    == running..."

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...33&postcount=1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast